How do I get that "wow factor image" on my LG OLED? Do I need 4K UHD discs?

Soldato
So, if I watch the demo Dolby Vision clips on my LG 55"E7, it's stunning. And indeed, some of the 4K demos on YouTube are great as well. But I've never seen a film for example in that level of "wow"...

Am I looking at 4K UHD player realms to get that sort of quality in films?

Associate
Planet Earth 2 disc. The best I've seen on my OLED.

The problem with demos is that they deliberately give you scenes for that "wow" factor but with a film you get the narrative.

Soldato
OP
I'll swear Amazon Prime has some 4K UHD stuff, but that's not impressed me.

I think I watched The Marvelous Mrs Maisel in 4K UHD and apart from looking fairly average, I could also detect little frame stutters periodically too. Something I've never experienced say with Netflix!

Soldato
Ditto for UHD discs. I have prime and Netflix and a 4k player. Disc content is the only way to supply 4k HDR/Dolby Vision/etc footage the way it should be. Streamed stuff is brilliant, but it still isn't up to the mark of discs.

Associate
There is a specific youtube channel with some 4K HDR Movie clips out of films ("4K HDR Movie Clips"), only shows a short clips so assume its solicited?

Anyway they look pretty good on my TV. Not got any 4K UHD Discs so cant compare but certainly a step up compared to 1080p in terms of details, even on a youtube clip.

I find amazon 4k to not be that fantastic, waiting for there to be a few things on Netflix i want to watch before paying another month for it so cant comment on their 4K material.

BBC Occasionally puts stuff up in 4k too (only just got a 4k tv so have missed their trials so far), i believe wimbledon will be on 4K this year but can only be accessed via the iplayer app on the TV.

Soldato
There is a specific youtube channel with some 4K HDR Movie clips out of films ("4K HDR Movie Clips"), only shows a short clips so assume its solicited?

Anyway they look pretty good on my TV. Not got any 4K UHD Discs so cant compare but certainly a step up compared to 1080p in terms of details, even on a youtube clip.

I find amazon 4k to not be that fantastic, waiting for there to be a few things on Netflix i want to watch before paying another month for it so cant comment on their 4K material.

BBC Occasionally puts stuff up in 4k too (only just got a 4k tv so have missed their trials so far), i believe wimbledon will be on 4K this year but can only be accessed via the iplayer app on the TV.
Yeah, the world cup 2018 was also broadcast in HDR (HLG) on the BBC and it was great.

Back
Top Bottom