Load Balancing/Bonding Router

Associate
OP
Well the office is just a home office that, at the time I was there, had my mates brother playing PS4 in it :) Perhaps lets call it a study... They went for business broadband as they thought it would offer them the best level of service and both my mate, his dad and mum all run small businesses from the place.
It's just a really big house tbh. It has 2 wings, cinema room, dining hall, gym.... you get the idea. I love the place.

Although we didnt call the community broadband folks, we did try to call BT and we just sat on hold for 20 mins before giving up. I only really had between 20:00-22:30 to do all the testing and plop in the APs, so along with having a cup of tea and catching up with his family, then unpicking the rats nest of cables to figure out how they had everything patched, I didnt have a lot of time. Hopefully get sometime this weekend to revisit, as my work is slowing down at the moment.

I did just try the line checker again, and it worked this time, came up with their home. Speeds are about right... 5-9Mbps.
The 3 checker looks liek they have "outdoor" coverage, but they can always get a sim card and test it, then return within 14 days if its garbage reception. I'll point him in that direction as with unlimited, that could actually be really good.

After looking around the products, I'm leaning towards a edgerouter X or L to make sure he gets everything he needs in a router, even if it is fiddly to configure they are very set and forget (I havent touched the settings on mine in months) and you get a very powerful device for very little money without the need for built in wireless, then possibly Amplifi rather than Unifi to keep the price down. Found a cracking deal on the Amplifi instant system... (looks like a pricing error... google it, I dont want to post it and it end up on HDUK and therefore my devices don't get sent out)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I actually got an Amplifi system for myself whilst I was at it, my current 2 x different AP with same SSID on different channels set up was a bit flakey if inbetween the two access points. The instant system is brilliant, not quite as quick to set up as they claim, but its very simple, controlling the whole network with a few clicks in an app, and works really well.
My mate also got an AFi-R and an AFi-Instant kit set up. The AFI-R in the study and the instants in the wings. He did it all himself and we havent bought the Edgerouter yet, but so far he seems to be very happy with its performance.

https://www.lambda-tek.com/amplifi-...JxJSCAe7iyI4lNihXfgnouQVYInO0BrxoCmrEQAvD_BwE

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/35476-amplifi-afi-ins/

Back
Top Bottom