Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
I'll crawl along with you :p

You guys are making me want to put my name into the ballot, but I don't feel like even with a year's slow build I'd be ready... decisions need to be made.

Not much from me regarding running, as I took nearly a week off as I was still tired from a hike in the Mournes. Went to London for a gig at the tail end of last week and was covering about 10-15km walking a day so at least that's something. This Sunday I have the 11.1k relay section in the Belfast Marathon for work. It is the starting leg so thankfully I don't have to hang around before hand.

Soldato
Like this? :D

_106636109_hayleyr.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48093571

Associate
Congratulations to the people who ran in yesterday's marathon

Are their toilets on the route?
Just curious because when I start running I'm bursting to go...

There are loads of Toilets en-route. It is very, very well organized. I watched the cleanup operation from Brewdog in Canary Wharf, and when I left at 7pm there was no sign at all the marathon had been there, no litter, nothing. Security, Water stations, Baggage, toilets. Everything was really well done.

The crowds are something else, I found it too loud sometimes when I wanted to get in the zone and concentrate.

I was running really well until mile 20, on schedule for sub 3:30. I came to one of the points where they let spectators cross the road, and they switched it, right in from of me. I had to change direction quickly and bumped into another chap. This seemed to set off some serious cramping. I had to stop 3 times and stretch out after that, the worst of which I was trying to get the cramp out my calf when my glute and quads both went as well. The St Johns people started making there way over to me, I got going again but had no choice to slow it down, the last 8km was very painful.

I ended up finishing in 3:40:07, a 4min PB, but I know I can go sub 3:30 one day.

Associate
Manchester guaranteed entry closes 11.59pm tonight btw. They still haven't announced how the remaining places will be allocated

Associate
Southampton Marathon this weekend, anyone doing it?

Yeh I'm going the half, Pacing my wife for the first lap of the Marathon @4:20 Pace (9:40miles) Hopefully, I will manage after London!

Mum, Brother and Sister in law are doing the 10k so its a big family day out

Associate
So. Just over two weeks since marathon and I'm upping the easy miles again. First week, 15 miles. Second week, 35. This week will probably be around 45.

I have the vitality 10k in three weeks or so. Any tips on transitioning from marathon training to 10k and what speed workouts would be good to introduce in the next week or so?

Cheers!

Associate
So. Just over two weeks since marathon and I'm upping the easy miles again. First week, 15 miles. Second week, 35. This week will probably be around 45.

I have the vitality 10k in three weeks or so. Any tips on transitioning from marathon training to 10k and what speed workouts would be good to introduce in the next week or so?

Cheers!

I need to do a similar thing as I want to concentrate on our summer XC league now, and a sub19 5k. So need to get some speed back in my legs. My plan is weekly tempo runs, and 800m and km reps.

Would love to run with my mum but shes 70 odd and way past this!

Good on you though

My mums 65, she only got into being active in her late 50s. She'll generally do ParkRun in 32mins and 1:05 for a 10k. She cycles lots too.

There is a lady in my running club in her 60's still doing multiple marathons every year in the 4:20 region. And a chap in his 70's doing IronMans

Last edited:
Soldato
So, i've somehow ended up betting my running friends (which i always make fun of) that I can run the 2020 Manchester Marathon in less than 6 hours :p

If I do, they pay for the entry, accommodation and everything.

I hate running, am not designed for running distances (6'3" currently 117kg ex-rugby player build), and have never really done any running before, so help me OcUK, you're my only hope! :p

Soldato
Haha that's good going. It's certainly very doable if you put some effort in. You're talking around 13:45min miles, which isn't particularly fast. Plus Manchester is very flat, so no hills to contend with.

So whilst you'd hit your target with a mix of jogging/power-walking. The problem however is that if you hate running then you're not going to enjoy doing the training to build up stamina to cover that distance.

Best option is to get out and have a jog and see how long you can run for. Then come back and we can help more knowing the starting point :)

Underboss
So, i've somehow ended up betting my running friends (which i always make fun of) that I can run the 2020 Manchester Marathon in less than 6 hours :p

If I do, they pay for the entry, accommodation and everything.

I hate running, am not designed for running distances (6'3" currently 117kg ex-rugby player build), and have never really done any running before, so help me OcUK, you're my only hope! :p

good luck !!

I will tell you about my experiences, as ive only been running for 8 months or so now

first off, when you first "run" it will feel really strange / weird. So keep it short, very short, have a day off the next day before doing it again, then have another day off, keep having a day off for a few weeks, then go to a running shop that does Gait Analyses and buy the pair of shoes that they recommend for you, this way you will run correctly and avoid injury, when i ran on the first shoe i tried, my knees where actually going outwards, now i run "in line" to support my arch

you can then up your running to 3 times a week. no more, as you get stronger you will start doing longer runs, im now upto 4-7 miles each run i do, 3 times a week and swimming once a week

What i did was download the Garmin Coach training thing on my Garmin Watch, and did that until it finished, then just go at my own pace etc

Soldato
@Marvt74 @ShiWarrior

Thanks for your replies!

I went for a run tonight and did 5k in 38 mins and kind of enjoyed it a bit, but don’t tell anyone! :p

Probably 60% walking, but feel I could go a bit faster as I didn’t really prepare very well with hydration/fuel as this challenge was set out at lunch time! :D

I think having the challenge of proving to someone that I can do it is going to make me enjoy it more, and deep down I’ve always wanted to run a marathon but just wrote it off as something I’d never do as I’m no good at it

Back
Top Bottom