India Holiday

Associate
Jesus, some stereotypes getting rolled out in here...

I've been to India a dozen or so times and despite having a notoriously sensitive stomach have never really struggled.

As long as you are sensible as above you will be fine - absolutely do go outside of the hotel, it's an amazing experience.

Associate
I went to Bangalore last year, there isn't much there to see and the traffic is really bad. Try and stay near Mathama Ghandi road and use Uber to get around - the tuk tuks will charge you more and not always take you to where you want to go.

There are really poor parts of Bangalore but there is a really good night life due to the larger number of corporates and young professionals based there. Just not much of a history

The temperature is pretty mild for India about 25 degrees all year around.

Soldato
OP
Jesus, some stereotypes getting rolled out in here...

I've been to India a dozen or so times and despite having a notoriously sensitive stomach have never really struggled.

As long as you are sensible as above you will be fine - absolutely do go outside of the hotel, it's an amazing experience.

Thanks, I'm glad it's not as bad as some people make out, I'm guessing those who have never been there before.

Admittedly I had visions myself of it being an incredibly dirty place.
It's never been on my list of places to go to either. He had planned to marry in Sri Lanka and was there just a few weeks ago looking at churches but with the recent news that has been ruled out now. (Big shame as I'd much prefer that but it's not my wedding)

I'm hoping we'll swiftly be off to Goa after the wedding which seems more my type of destination.

I went to Bangalore last year, there isn't much there to see and the traffic is really bad. Try and stay near Mathama Ghandi road and use Uber to get around - the tuk tuks will charge you more and not always take you to where you want to go.

There are really poor parts of Bangalore but there is a really good night life due to the larger number of corporates and young professionals based there. Just not much of a history

The temperature is pretty mild for India about 25 degrees all year around.

Night life I'm not worried about, having kids kinda rules that one out to a certain extent. We'll be restricted to places I can carry them to the room from when they nod off.

Brother in law said he's going to sort the hotel out for us. So need to wait and see where he's looking at. Knowing him it's not going to be less than 5 stars as that all he'll ever stay in (he will choose 6 if available)

Soldato
Cheers Rifte, that's great help. Will be travelling at the end of October/start of November.

Another question. My girls love a waterpark. We've found one in Bangalore with good reviews, called wonderla. You ever been?

There are really only a few theme parks in India (Imagica, Wonderla and Essel World). I have been to Wonderla and its a good park, and you will have a great day. Also in October and November most native Indians will feel that it is a little too cold for a waterpark (25 degrees ish) so the park should not be packed.

I go to Florida on a regular basis, and if you compare it to anything that Orlando or even some of the UK parks have to offer, it does fall a little short.

However from a price perspective you cant go wrong. I think (last time I went was 18 months ago) its around £10 to £15 a ticket depending on weekday or weekend entry.

Associate
Anyone been to India on Holiday?

Brother in law getting married at the end of the year so kind of have no choice but to go over. Bangalore if that makes a difference.

We will mainly be there but will head over to Goa for a few days too.

For those who have been did you get the dreaded "Dehli Belly"??

Travelling with my wife and 2 children (the kids is what i worry about the most)

Wont be much of a trip if we got the craps for days.

You may want to keep tabs on your wife (especially if she is pretty) if the newspaper reports are correct i.e. don't let her travel alone and stay in a group to prevent being pounced upon

Soldato
OP
There are really only a few theme parks in India (Imagica, Wonderla and Essel World). I have been to Wonderla and its a good park, and you will have a great day. Also in October and November most native Indians will feel that it is a little too cold for a waterpark (25 degrees ish) so the park should not be packed.

I go to Florida on a regular basis, and if you compare it to anything that Orlando or even some of the UK parks have to offer, it does fall a little short.

However from a price perspective you cant go wrong. I think (last time I went was 18 months ago) its around £10 to £15 a ticket depending on weekday or weekend entry.

That's good to know. Have been to all of the water parks in Orlando and 1 in Dubai (5 times as we were staying in the Atlantis)

Give the girls a lazy river and they're happy.

You may want to keep tabs on your wife (especially if she is pretty) if the newspaper reports are correct i.e. don't let her travel alone and stay in a group to prevent being pounced upon

We'll only be going around as a group anyways but cheers for info.

Soldato
Spent 5 weeks in Mumbai some years back, as others have said you'll be fine with the food but make sure you drink clean water from bottles (where are available everywhere). Street food is fine unless you have really sensitive stomach (I have IBS and was the only one of our group of 30 to not have any problems :p), and hotels/bars will be fine for eating.

Goa is fantastic and extremely cheap for food, drinks and accommodations, we stayed on Anjuna beach for a long weekend so depends on where you go to.

Associate
I spent 3 months backpacking around India. I was ill pretty much constantly, mainly due to surviving on a backpacker's budget which meant eating at lots of roadside cafes. If you're there for a couple of weeks and go to more upmarket restaurants you might be OK.

Soldato
I went for 3 weeks a couple of years ago. Flew into Delhi, then did the 'Golden Triangle' (Agra & Jaipur) as well as went to Udaipur and then flew down to Mumbai and was there for a few days and then flew home.

We started off in a 5 star hotel in Delhi, where the staff told us it was dangerous to go out without a prebooked taxi, and the food wasn't safe and we were best just staying in the compound. The food in the hotel was probably the worst I had, the arranged taxis the most expensive, and it was all a bit sterile. Once I got out, and walked around we found the people very friendly (albeit, they did try and scam us with the currency exchange scam but they only ended up with an hour of our time), the street food was OK (if it's cooked in front of you, in hot oil, then I was game to give it a go!) and the sites are stunning.

Yea, I got 'Delhi Belly'. It lasted two days or so, so I just sat in a hotel and read my book and chilled out beside the pool and got the waiter to bring me lots of G&Ts.

I found it a very safe country, with people just curious rather than threatening. Food wasn't amazing (apart from a homestay in Agra, where it was fantastic), and the beer is shocking. But, it's absolutely fine. The sights, Taj Mahal, Agra Fort, etc, are stunning.
I went to a 20:20 cricket game (Mumbai Indians) in Mumbai, and I'm not a cricket fan but it's by far the best sport event I've ever been to. It was great fun!

I went with my mother, who absolutely loved it and can't wait to go back. Though she did have an issue in the hotel we stayed in in Udaipur - no one would serve her a drink. She had to get me to come up from my room (this is where I had the belly!) to order her a drink.

I have no idea why it's getting such a bad press on here, who's actually been? Happy to answer any more questions.

Soldato
I went to a 20:20 cricket game (Mumbai Indians) in Mumbai, and I'm not a cricket fan but it's by far the best sport event I've ever been to. It was great fun!

We did this as well! Probably the only place where they cheer regardless of the team when a 6 is hit, was great fun. My mum managed to spot us on Sky Sports News as well :p Managed to get myself a Mumbai Indians shirt and flag which the locals were all excited about as well, they're some of the most curious and friendliest people I've met when adventuring the world.

Soldato
As an alternative to water, Coka-Cola was always the choice when my Parents traveled in those parts.

And yes, Ice, Ice cream and teeth brushing are where people fall down when traveling. They do everything else right and then forget about these.

Oh, and when you come home, complete the course of anti-malarials, People come home, think they are ok, fail to complete the course and then end up with a dose.

And it aint pleasant!

Associate
I've been to India a few times and my wife is Indian.

You'll be missing out hugely if you skip the street food IMO. It's worth a small risk as it can be amazing and one of my favourite parts of visiting India (especially Mumbai and Maharashtra in general). Just go to reasonably busy stalls and you'll likely be fine.

Also, if you have a few days spare, I'd ditch Goa and head somewhere like Rajasthan - Udaipur, Jodhpur and maybe Jaipur. Beautiful places with lots of history (you can stay in palaces), great food and friendly people.

Associate
My stomach is sensitive and I never had the craps once, It happens but its exaggerated if you ask me. Its just one of those things people say who are jealous you going somewhere other than spain say, literally everyone said that to me this year when I went, I'm going india, oh I wouldn't go there you will get the ****. Buy some decent probiotics, travel ones with live cultures that don't have to be refrigerated, I started off cautious but in the end was on curry everyday, just avoid really cheap street food you can't see being cooked on the spot or stuff that is being cooked in clearly horrible conditions. If you don't want to eat local stuff everywhere sells pancakes and omeletts haha

This is a good one: Bioglan Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 20 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic

It ticks all boxes, doesn't need to be chilled and is Live. Worked for me, ran it for 1month before I went and for the entire time there, never had an issue and I tarvelled all over the country.

India is a wonderful place but takes time to get into the swing of things.

Also take something like germaline, anti histamines, steriod creams, decent plasters, good shoes!. I went through like 5 tubes out there, or buy it there, I was allergic to literally everything in that place

Associate
I've been to India a few times and my wife is Indian.

You'll be missing out hugely if you skip the street food IMO. It's worth a small risk as it can be amazing and one of my favourite parts of visiting India (especially Mumbai and Maharashtra in general). Just go to reasonably busy stalls and you'll likely be fine.

Also, if you have a few days spare, I'd ditch Goa and head somewhere like Rajasthan - Udaipur, Jodhpur and maybe Jaipur. Beautiful places with lots of history (you can stay in palaces), great food and friendly people.

Ahh Udaipur, home to the worlds largest population of Judy Dench fanatics

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom