Audeze Mobius - Closed Planar magnetic headphone, gaming headset, head tracking, bluetooth and more!

doc

doc

Associate
Soldato
Just to let you all know that I ordered these new gel pads on a certain south american river store 3 days ago and they arrived from America today.

I haven't had a chance to properly test them, but they certainly feel firmer and less squishy. I'm looking forward to testing them tomorrow!

I'd be interested in what you think doc. Particularly with regard to isolation. How you finding these now sound quality wise? Grown to like them?

Associate
Gel pad received and installed today. Can't say much regarding any sound quality difference yet (if any) however in terms of feeling they are clearly different. They do have a cooler feel on my ears however they also feel more tight, creating a more pronounced vacuum effect.

Too early to tell which pads I like better at the moment, time will tell.

Associate
Oh also, important piece of advise I found on the Head-HiFi forum. When using the Mobius in 7.1 mode if you disable the 3D audio mode the LFE channel gets ignored. Can be easily checked using the Windows sound test, you will see that the test for the LFE channel is silent. Switch back to any of the 3D modes and when doing the same Windows test you will clearly hear the LFE channel. I suspect it's a bug as I don't see the point of disabling LFE without 3D.

Makes a big difference in movies and games in my opinion.

Soldato
Tighter may help with isolation then? May get a set myself. Where did you order these pads from Chewie?

That Head-fi forum thread is a goldmine of info, I'm learning all the time.

I had to look up LFE. When using the Mobius the windows Sonic and Dolby options are greyed out for me. As the Mobius has its own DAC/AMP etc does it not handle all this stuff itself or have I got it set up wrong? Thanks in advance.

Associate
Bought them from Amazon.uk but it was clearly indicated that it was sold by their Global store, so coming from the US in this case. Final price including everything was £37, definitely not cheap for some ear pads...

The Windows 10 Sonic and/or Dolby Atmos plugin do not work if you have the Mobius set to 7.1. If you switch them back to normal stereo mode (not High-Res) then the options will become available. Not sure why it's that way to be honest.

Soldato
Don't know if it was impulsive or pure dumb but I just went ahead and bought this loooool. Quickest I've ever bought anything with the least research ever.

Don't even think my use case is the best use for it - bluetooth to my sony kd49xf9005 tv in the gaming room that I use to play single player games on my pc. Already have k712 + ae5 for wired competitive at my desk. Girlfriend always has a go when I play games with volume on my creative katana soundbar on pc so I've decided to go straight to wireless headphones over a dolby atmos soundbar.

May have to buy a crazy good dongle with LDAC that I can plug into an optical or 3.5mm port on the TV if it's sub optimal.

Soldato
Pretty much every bluetooth headphones have limitations? I've received these already, think they're bloody awesome, even vs my k712. Sound quality is top notch. I don't mind the stereo sound on bluetooth. Almost prefer it as you get less of a "processed" sound. 3D surround is cool. Not entirely sure how I feel about it. Will probably use it more when they decouple it form the head motion tracking (again cool but I only use it while looking at the screen anyway).

Found there is no LDAC dongle, but managed to buy some other bluetooth transmitter that some other Mobius user seems to have found good which will arrive tomorrow. SBC to TV not the best, so at least this will allow me AAC to either my PC or to TV.

Associate
Was just saying to make you sure were indeed aware of those limitations (read of lot comments on the Net from people who were disappointed when they found out that wireless mode has differences compared to wired).

Happy to hear that they suit you in wireless mode as well ;)

Soldato
Was just saying to make you sure were indeed aware of those limitations (read of lot comments on the Net from people who were disappointed when they found out that wireless mode has differences compared to wired).

Happy to hear that they suit you in wireless mode as well ;)

Yeah I've read a bit since. Seems to be limitations of bluetooth rather than the headphones itself. Anyway, with the bluetooth transmitter using AAC codec plugged into the optical port on my AE-5 sound card, it seems great. Latency is no longer noticeable as it was when I was using bluetooth to the TV which only supports SBC, which is high in latency by default.

All in all, I'm really happy with it. Suits my wireless needs when playing on my sony 49 inch xf90 tv in 4k hdr and wired when playing at my desk on my 35 inch ultrawide. The listening to music on it is an added bonus, sounds real good with my deezer hifi subscription.

Soldato
Can't a microphone just be added to one of their existing headphones? Oh wait... I forgot; this gives them the chance to repackage a headphone they already have, as a headset to get more sales; probably from those people who want a headset, not headphones...

Soldato
Was away from the forums for a while. It's nice to see a few more owners of the Mobius headset. Still loving mine. They sound so good for music and gaming but I find that I have been using them most for movie watching. Which is surprising because I have a dedicated movie setup.

There is a new firmware and HQ application on the way. Will be interested to see what changes they bring.

Soldato
A new firmware came out but it caused problems for a few people so they have taken it down again.

They also released a new Audeze HQ application. It's pretty cool. You can set macros for the movements you make with your head. It works with older firmware so you can start using it now.

Back
Top Bottom