BMW and M Power Owners

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
See i wish my e92 M3 was faster, it is slower than my last car with similar power and weight (albeit more torque). I'm holding out for an 18 month old G80 4wd M3, that will be quick:D.

I find my E92 M3 to be "fast enough". High-revving N/A engines never feel the same as turbocharged cars (even ones with less/similar power) but on UK roads when absolutely "on it", it is easily powerful enough to be consistently in custodial sentence territory and more than enough to be absolutely incredible fun. It absolutely could do with "feeling" faster through more low-down power but then again the M4 feels very traction-limited and isn't as much fun to wring the neck of IMO, despite feeling and being being a very quick car.

Soldato
I’d missed this comment but agree entirely, very much reminded me of driving my brother in laws M4, it was incredibly fast (if you looked at the speedometer, it didn’t feel it from the seat of your pants as such) and to get it feeling fast you were at kill yourself and / or license loss territory which made it rather pointless tbh.

For his performance kicks these days he’s gone in a completely different direction and now has a bonkers fast Jet-Ski which is a wholly different adrenaline rush albeit not as accessible as owning a fast car of course!

That sounds like a brilliant substitute! I love the idea of having something else, even something without an engine like mountain biking or somesuch would probably appeal.

So what will be next?

Genuinely lost with that one. I'd love something with more steering feel and feedback from the road (as obvious and cliche as it sounds, I do get the point car reviewers are making now), but at the same time something somewhat refined and comfortable for jaunts back and forth to Scotland.

I wouldn't be as fussed about the 1 Series in all fairness, it's not a bad car at all in its own right, the issue is that I'm paying extra (in many senses) for performance I simply don't really appreciate anymore, with a lot of downsides.

Associate
Went to see this today, got there, they had taken it to fill it up with fuel and it ran out on the way to the petrol station, and the engine management light went on and limp home mode wouldn't turn off, so no test drive for me.

They made a decent offer on my car and the cost to change, but it was wrapped up in BMW finance and both some weird paint protection thing and gap insurance, and I got them to email me the figures, and it's not at all the cost I thought it was... feel a bit perplexed and mugged off but will speak to them again tomorrow.

Still got the Z4M ? What did they offer you for it ? Always interesting to see what I could get for mine now.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
What is it? Don't you already have one? :p

To be fair, there doesn't seem to be much wrong with that. I think it's better to have a well-maintained 1-owner high miler than a 5-year-old diesel that's only done 10,000 miles around town.
Haha yeh mine is about ten k off that, but probably a bad example haha!

I agree, but can't always stop those age related gremlins...

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Yeh F15, good options, 7 seats, not far from us.

Would it be part of a service package which wouldn't show up on whatever report this is?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Their reply:
The first service was 40k yet only 13 months from new.
It is long life service so maybe that was when service was due...
Also depends how car is driven etc
Well, their first reply as to why the first service was at 40k (and only 1 year old) was "A car doesn't get MOT'd till its 3years old" haha wut?!

Will call BMW tomorrow, get them to tell me what's going on.

Soldato
Soldato
Looks like owner just skipped the mileage interval and went for a 1 year service then? 40k in 13 months impressive...
Although confusing as surely an F15 gives a service due indicator for both time and mileage

Soldato
Soldato
Hard to say (usually I'm trying to pay attention :)) but they seem to move like 1cm down, as if they're pushed down by the wind. But it's super sudden and they're not wobbling or anything, perfectly stable, no odd noise etc... I haven't noticed them going back to normal position though.
They might go into a recessed position at higher speeds to avoid them getting ripped off the screen automatically

mjt

mjt

Soldato
They might go into a recessed position at higher speeds to avoid them getting ripped off the screen automatically
Most likely this. They won't get ripped off, but it could well be to protect them. Some cars' wipers come out of a recessed position every time you start the car. Some go into a recessed position if you've turned off the wipers, etc.

Do you live in Germany? Isn't the Autobahn great? Fuel consumption is a total **** take travelling those speeds for any decent period of time. Makes for fantastic progress during the night though :)

The wipers on my Z3 used to lift off the screen quite significantly above 180 or so, which made it interesting in the rain :eek:

Caporegime
What sort of economy do you get at motorway speeds etc?
I’d like to think that he’d be getting 35+ at least, my brother in laws old X5 M550d averaged 37 overall (predominantly motorway use) and he drove it with fuel economy as the last think on his mind....

I dread to think what the 550d would achieve at autobahn speeds mind you!

Soldato
I did a whole tank of fuel in 150 miles across Germany in the M3. I think that works out to around 15-16mpg. That was flat out at every (legal) opportunity, but also quite a bit of slowing down for slow German drivers, followed by the speeding up. I think if I could maintain very high speed without slowing and accelerating it would manage between 18-20mpg.

The M135i was more efficient by around 10-15% than the M3, so I’d guess a B58-engined car could do slightly better still, although being in a big 5 series will obviously be detrimental to economy.

Soldato
I’d like to think that he’d be getting 35+ at least, my brother in laws old X5 M550d averaged 37 overall (predominantly motorway use) and he drove it with fuel economy as the last think on his mind....

I dread to think what the 550d would achieve at autobahn speeds mind you!

I thought we were talking about a G30 540i. Not sure how an old diesel X5 is relevant...

Back
Top Bottom