• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Could any help me pls

Associate
Hi could anyone help me out choosing an 8gb graphics card pls.. it’s for my son for his birthday and he wants to play games like fortnite/GTA5/Ark etc..

Many thx in advance

Soldato
it all depends on your budget plus what screen your son has, if he has a 1080p screen then amd would be the way to go really, any of the follwing would be a good choice at 1080p

rx 570 nitro+ 8gb, (can be had for £179 but other 8gb modles as low as £149 exc p&p)
rx580 8gb (can be picked up for around £164 exc p&p)
rx590 8gb (can be picked up for around £188 exc p&p)

also if your son has a freesync moniter then the amd experence would be even better.
A rx 570 will be good for medium to high settings around 60fps, the other two cards would get better results proberly upwards of 100fps but at hight to ultra settings.
What ever the case the cards above wont break the bank and offer really good performance compared to nvidia offering at this point, the gtx 1650 has been slammed a bit with most reviewers saying it shouldn't exist and is over priced for what it it, hell the rx 570 (a 4gb model too) it was tested against absolutly wiped the floor winning all tests compared to the gtx 1650.
lastly the amd offering do use a bit more power overall but concidering how much faster they are it shouldn't matter really just be sure to check the psu and be sure it's got the correct connectors and has sufficiant wattage to support the card you choose (a good 550w model should be ok for the cards above)

hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, better say budget (preferred and max), which monitor and which PSU (brand and model). Which CPU wouldn't be bad to know either.

And also going to drop this here - those three games mentioned favour Nvidia cards, GTA5 especially. To the point where I wouldn't consider an AMD card below a Vega 56 due to the settings I like for GTA5 at 1080p. GTX 1660Ti beats Vega 56 in GTA5 and trades blows in the other two games. However, the Vega 56 has enough grunt to do well in them anyway, with the added benefit of being faster across a wider game gamut. So if you can afford Vega 56, and have the right PSU for it (good quality 650W ideal, or good quality 550W and no overclocking and preferably undervolting will scrape it), then that. Otherwise get a cheaper/same price 1660Ti and at least you'll know he'll be getting the same or more fps in those three games (not in others).

Not sure if the 8GB request is a must or if 6GB+better performance would be preferred (which can be the case in some scenarios).

Finally, agree with wookiee87 on GTX 1650. That card is best ignored. Only game I've seen it beat the RX 570 (by 1 fps) is... you guessed it... GTA5.

Soldato
i thought about mentioning the gtx 1660ti as i have bought one for my nephews pc the other month ago, that card is a substantual step up from any of the amd cards i mentied above but it does come at a premium £250 - £338 depending on which one you go for sure its only got 6gb of ram but the card is a absolute monster it easily plays top titles tody at 1440p at high settings with 60+ fps from what i tested anyway. amd is still a good choice money/performance wise but if you dont mind the premium then the 1660ti will do it all.

i tested the 1660ti with a 6600k and a 7740x and those cpu's didn't impact the cards performance

Associate
OP
Thank you,both of you for your help.. really appreciate it.. and I should said before about what he had already.. I had a blonde moment haha.. atm he’s only running the ryzen 2200g .. with 16gb ram.. 120gb ssd + 1tb hd.. mobo is A320m pro vh plus.. and the psu is a Corsair 620w and his monitor is 1080p.. :)

Soldato
The exact PSU model is important to know when it comes to a Vega card. Whichever model it is, it should be fine for all the other cards mentioned in the thread so far. Not all PSUs can deliver what's on the label to where it counts. Age can come into it as well.

And budget, too.

2200G will bottleneck something like a 1660Ti more often (depends on the game and the settings) at 1080p because it will have to prepare more frames than at 1440p. Have tested this with a GTX 1070 (similar to 1660Ti) in Fortnite, and just four cores. Not a huge deal as it will mean there's plenty of fps. But you can get stutter because of it, and solution would be to set an fps cap so all cores don't hit max that often at the same time. Letting you know so you are forewarned and forearmed if he complains of stutter lol.

Soldato
i agree a 1660ti would be too much for the 2200g you mentined, even vega 56 may struggle with that cpu, personaly knowing that i'd suggest either a rx 580 or a rx 590 as at 1080p you'll get sold performace that wont botttleneck either rx card or the cpu if you set a custom fps curve then games played wont run into any issues, a good 60fps should be achevable

Soldato
i agree a 1660ti would be too much for the 2200g you mentined, even vega 56 may struggle with that cpu, personaly knowing that i'd suggest either a rx 580 or a rx 590 as at 1080p you'll get sold performace that wont botttleneck either rx card or the cpu if you set a custom fps curve then games played wont run into any issues, a good 60fps should be achevable

How I see it, with the variables we are talking about (not including extreme examples like a GTX 2080TI paired with the 2200G) - you'll get better fps in graphically demanding games (like GTA) with better GPU, probably without stutter. And in less graphically demanding games (like Fortnite) that churn out massive fps, then if you do get stutter as a result, just cap the fps in those. So despite the excess in some games needing capping, I'd say it's worth it as you'll have more beef for games that actually need the GPU fully uncapped to hit above 60 fps with nice settings.

That said, if budget doesn't reach to 1660Ti/Vega 56, just lower more settings and you can get 60-70 fps in any game with any other GPU mentioned. That's what I used to get in GTA with a very humble GTX 750 1GB with all settings lowered at 1080p.

Soldato
i've been looking online regarding paring a low ish cpu with a powerful gpu and from what i read most ppl are saying the performance at 1440p or highter is better as the gpu takes over almost all of the load so the bottlenecking issue isnt as bad, i read on and paring a low ish cpu and powerful gpu at 1080p is not really smart as the 2 components will both carry load and if one isnt up to par thats when bottlenecking starts, regardless of settings 1080p will be worse if you choose a high end gpu and pair with a low end cpu, unless you push to 1440p or higher res.

i may be wrong so if i apologize for the post

i mentoined above i paired a 1660ti with a 6600k and a 7740x i forgot to mention i was testing at 1440p and everything ran really smooth around 60-80fps high/ultra settings, droped back to 1080p, the fps didnt really change but for some reason it didnt feel right some how, i dont know how to explain it :(

Last edited:
Soldato
i didnt think i said to spend more on a gpu, knowing what @Paul2506 said eariler with the 2200g his son has it wouldn't make sence to spend a lot and if he's sticking to 1080p no need at all to splash the cash, plenty of great deals on gpus ie the rx 580 that would be a great paring with a 2200g

apologies if what i said earlier miss led you

Back
Top Bottom