20 million PC gamers could defect from PCs to consoles by 2022

Soldato
do you not have line of sight to the sky?

Haven't read about what Musk is doing but in the past the issue with satellite broadband has been the poor upload.

Wish our government would be a bit more forward looking and put as much investment into broadband as they are with HS2.

Associate
Haven't read about what Musk is doing but in the past the issue with satellite broadband has been the poor upload.

Wish our government would be a bit more forward looking and put as much investment into broadband as they are with HS2.
The new low orbit stuff is apparently different. I think musk is launching the satellites, but not providing the service.

Latency is apparently decent as well.

edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OneWeb_satellite_constellation

Soldato
I'm surprised many use digital. For me the cost and then resale value is worth the 10 secs it takes to pop a disk in. I tend to play one game exhaustively and then move on though.

Soldato
I'm surprised many use digital. For me the cost and then resale value is worth the 10 secs it takes to pop a disk in. I tend to play one game exhaustively and then move on though.

I think you will find people mean on their pc, I also have not purchased a physical copy of a game for about 15 years, but if we were on about consoles then yeah, would still be buying physical copy's

Soldato
its going to cost more I'm sure of it :) £599 or £699
We shall see. It’s exciting. Been looking forward to new hardware for over a year now.

I’m calling £499 base model, then upping to maybe £599 with an increased storage option. I don’t see it releasing with an RRP over £599. It’s just too much for your casual gamer.

IIRC the original PS4 released with an RRP of £399. Which was a major selling point to a lot of people.

Soldato
Optical discs are dead
Who doesn’t have broadband in 2019? I live way out in the Shropshire countryside and have super fast broadband.

Well, I live in the middle of a large city and don't have access to anything but 1MB/s ADSL2+. No fibre of any flavour. And besides, optical drives will never die, how the **** else are you expected to watch a Blu-ray?

Associate
Well, I live in the middle of a large city and don't have access to anything but 1MB/s ADSL2+. No fibre of any flavour. And besides, optical drives will never die, how the **** else are you expected to watch a Blu-ray?
optical drives are one of the most perishable components in a console.

Soldato
I watched Digital Foundrys overview of the specs of the console a week or so back. I'm pretty happy that they're finally looking to put a solid state drive in the console. One of the weakest parts of a console is the excessive loading times and this is one area a PC can absolutely dominate a console in. Couple that with a Ryzen processor and load times should become somewhat respectable again. It remains to be seen what its capacity is, what we might see is the base model being coupled with a 500gb drive(which cost peanuts now) and a more expensive model with a 1tb drive. A more competent processor should also make it easier to target 60fps if that's what the game developers want to do. The devs have still managed to do well with what they have been given in the current generation of consoles.

I switched over to consoles on the release of the PS4 and I've been pretty happy to do so. The graphics still look incredible on certain titles and performance is generally consistent even if the target is only 30fps and not 60. I still have a laptop which i use for work and general internet browsing but i would want a laptop regardless of whether i had a desktop PC. It covers all the bases pretty well and certainly saved a few £ over getting a desktop PC. Prices for graphics cards have not been brilliant with the lack of competition to nVidia in the GPU space and this along with ram pricing hasn't done much for the viability of cost effecting gaming builds.

I may still get a desktop PC in the future when i get my own place. If team red releases a respectable graphics card along with their Zen 2 processors then that might be enough for me to take the plunge(I am a bit of a fan of the underdogs). It will also be interesting to see what happens with ray tracing. The PS5 is rumored to have some form of hardware acceleration for these effects so this would be another reason for devs to implement ray tracing in their games. It remains to be seen how different this will be to nVidias implementation but as there will quickly be many more Navi GPUs in consoles than RTX cards it may be the case that Navi is favored.

Soldato
i like these kinds of posts :)
I would argue a pad isnt an inferior experience at all.... in the case of FPSers it is most certainly a less effective control method, but i would say lounging on the sofa with a pad is more enjoyable than sitting at a desk or trying to use a laptray with your KB/M.

i also think KB/M promotes cheesy unrealistic play which depending on the game is just silly. going to VR shows just how nuts the instant 180 degree turn on the spot then have perfect pinpoint accuracy is. do that in VR and you just feel sick and disorientated... and using your body to turn in VR fpsers rather than a pad or KB/M and you realise it is simply impossible to move like those using KB/M move.

the limitations that a pad force on you actually makes you play slightly more realistically imo. this may or may not matter to you.

Also controls need to be considered from the off, a halo and destiny for instance handle beautifully on a pad because their primary users were always going to be on a pad. HL2 OTOH not so much.

some game OTOH a Mouse just makes more sense, stuff like RTS etc.... personally i would not play them on a sofa however (though that said xcom works well enough but that is turn based not rts)

of course it is all subjective. what is good/important to me is clearly different to others....

How is this still a thing? You can use controllers for PC, you can use a PC on a TV. Nowhere has it ever been stated you can only use a PC at a desk. It's really not a pro of console over PC, just as people who prefer sitting at desks in their chair can paly console games on their monitor.

Soldato
I watched Digital Foundrys overview of the specs of the console a week or so back. I'm pretty happy that they're finally looking to put a solid state drive in the console. One of the weakest parts of a console is the excessive loading times and this is one area a PC can absolutely dominate a console in. Couple that with a Ryzen processor and load times should become somewhat respectable again. It remains to be seen what its capacity is, what we might see is the base model being coupled with a 500gb drive(which cost peanuts now) and a more expensive model with a 1tb drive. A more competent processor should also make it easier to target 60fps if that's what the game developers want to do. The devs have still managed to do well with what they have been given in the current generation of consoles.

I just hope they put a quiet cooling system in it, my PS4 Pro sounds like a jet engine when its doing some hard work. Think Microsoft got it sorted on the One X as I've read that it is very quiet but consoles in general always seem to skimp on the cooling which ruins the experience for me, especially as a media centre.

Soldato
How is this still a thing? You can use controllers for PC, you can use a PC on a TV. Nowhere has it ever been stated you can only use a PC at a desk. It's really not a pro of console over PC, just as people who prefer sitting at desks in their chair can paly console games on their monitor.
Maybe read the post I was quoting......... The people I was quoting were complaining about the inferior pads, and in that context my post makes sense. Also I agree with you, I often play my pc on my sofa with a pad as well

Soldato
I can see this happening.

My background is of the Amiga days, and the one thing I hated about moving to a PC is all the individual setting up for games. It's not so bad these days. But it is still an issue that you buy a game and aren't 100% sure of the quality you'll get to play it as, even if you buy the best graphic card there is usually some other bottleneck.

At least with consoles you know the quality of the game you're going to be playing. The thing that as held consoles back in their life cycle, its always been too slow and when the console comes out the technology is a few years old. If they can get a significant jump on that then I can agree more people will move over to consoles, especially the average gamer who isn't that bothered about technical pc specs, which is the majority.

Associate
Another factor is going to be people are ****** at how devs manage the PC ports these days. They just don't give a flying on to how its optimised now. Push out fix later or not at all. I haven't ran into an issue with my PC running anything for a long time but i still have to tweek some settings here and there and i had a bad run of BSOD because my RAM wasn't happy with running at its rated speed. Some pitfalls for PC gamers that console gamers tend to have very little of. And you pretty much either pop the game in or navigate to it on the home screen. On PC its starting to become many applications for one goal.

Associate
I can see this happening.

My background is of the Amiga days, and the one thing I hated about moving to a PC is all the individual setting up for games. It's not so bad these days. But it is still an issue that you buy a game and aren't 100% sure of the quality you'll get to play it as, even if you buy the best graphic card there is usually some other bottleneck.

At least with consoles you know the quality of the game you're going to be playing. The thing that as held consoles back in their life cycle, its always been too slow and when the console comes out the technology is a few years old. If they can get a significant jump on that then I can agree more people will move over to consoles, especially the average gamer who isn't that bothered about technical pc specs, which is the majority.
i remember getting a RAM expansion for the Amiga

Caporegime
What's going on with the whole Intel GPU thing? They've got one of the largest R&D budgets on the face of the earth, shirley a company like that wouldn't be spunking billions on this tech unless they're certain there's a future in it?

Back
Top Bottom