• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So just how are AMD going to shoot themselves in the foot with the NAVI launch?

Permabanned
Use a terrible blower reference cooler that makes the card throttle like crazy and produce more noise than a jet engine (see analysis of rumoured leaked PCB of Navi card). Forbid partners from making cards with good coolers for several months after release tarnishing its performance in the eyes of reviewers and the consumer ( they did this before with the 290X, let's hope they don't ever do it again).

I was kinda hoping the VII was the start of AMD moving away from blower cards, AMD should let board partners do cheap plastic blower versions for watercoolers & sff builds etc and give the rest of us (the majority) what we really want by either doing their own twin fan cards or letting board partners do their own like they did with the Grenada 300 series cards. They should have learnt their lesson with the Hawaii/Grenada series. Looking back I remember the 290 & 290x as hot, loud & power hungry cards but that's not how I remember the 390 & 390x even though they were actually the same power hungry chips being pushed even further with higher clocks, Why? Because they never released with a reference blower, it was board partners only.

Soldato
They use the blowers because of Dell etc sticking them in cramped cases.

I'd rather they just came with a bare heatsink and mounts for 90-120mm fans.

Soldato
Navi was delayed because it needed a respin

Probably delayed to get some form of rayvtracing support in. Not delayed long enough for hardware support, you can’t just do a massive architecture change in 6 months which is what you need forbhardware rayvtracing - so whatever reason it got delayed is not very major

Caporegime
It's hard to top the space invaders 2080ti debacle with RTX and DLSS hype-fail thrown in for good measure, all for a measly £1200 plus...

Except the 2080ti gave clear performance improvements over even a 1080ti. For people that care less about money then it was a reasonable proposition for those 4K gamers.

The rpice is obscene IMO, but that doesn't seem to be an issue in this market, just like the cost of a Ferrari compared to a Ford mondeo.

Caporegime
Probably delayed to get some form of rayvtracing support in. Not delayed long enough for hardware support, you can’t just do a massive architecture change in 6 months which is what you need forbhardware rayvtracing - so whatever reason it got delayed is not very major

It is possible they have a few instructions added that help a little but I doubt this is the case.

Navi was delayed because 7nm is hugely expensive per wafer and AMD needs very high yields to make it cost effective. Nvidia publicly stated that the reason they kept to 12nm with Turing is the 7nm process wasn't mature enough given the very high costs and the modest gains.

The 7nm+ process actually looks to be a bigger jump in performance and density, so that is what Nvidia is betting on.

Soldato
It is possible they have a few instructions added that help a little but I doubt this is the case.

Navi was delayed because 7nm is hugely expensive per wafer and AMD needs very high yields to make it cost effective. Nvidia publicly stated that the reason they kept to 12nm with Turing is the 7nm process wasn't mature enough given the very high costs and the modest gains.

The 7nm+ process actually looks to be a bigger jump in performance and density, so that is what Nvidia is betting on.

Just because nvidia is publicly saying something does not mean that its a) true, or b) the real reason.

Caporegime
Poor marketing? Shooting yourself in the foot marketing ('poor Volta')? No marketing? Severe stock shortage? Fine wine?

So many to choose from :p.

Caporegime
Soldato
I think Navi will be a great product like Polaris was. It will be the consumers who shoot themselves in the foot by buying the slower and more expensive Nvidia product like they always do. Then complaining when Nvidia raises their prices again because they dominated.

Associate
I don't think AMD will mess up Navi, it's just that the Nvidia hive mind will see that it's not anywhere near a 2080 or 2080 TI and then declare it a flop. The reality will be that the high end will be a 2070 competitor but at a lower price.

Back
Top Bottom