• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Downgrade gpu and monitor

Associate
Hi all, I'm currently using a 1080ti and a 1440p gsync monitor, but I'm not gaming as much now and wont be in the near future as work and 2 year old plus 1 on the way.
The question is has any of you guys dropped to 1080p and say a used rx580 and are finding it ok coming from a 1080ti and 1440p?

Associate
I think this boils down to cash. If you need the money for kids then maybe consider selling. If you don't need the money then just keep the current setup. If you do get less time gaming then at least in the medium term you will have a system your happy with. Plus if you still gaming in a few more years the 1080ti might still be okay whereas 580 will be looking tired

Associate
I drastically downgraded from a 1070 Ti to an RX 550, though still kept the same UWQHD monitor. Can't say I've regretted it yet. I have no illusions - any remotely modern game won't even be worth firing up with this card, but as I got burnt out on all the newer stuff I've been quite content to play oldies in what time I now have for games (just purchased Postal 2 and am playing it at 3440x1440 60-80 fps).

I think only each of us knows our exact playing habits / preferences, along with taking an educated guess about where things will be at when re-upgrading in the future, and the subjective value of our current hardware vs how much it's worth when it comes to downgrading now.

Associate
I'm in the same boat well getting my own place and downgrading from 4k/GTX 1080 to 1080p and a £70 ish card around r9 290x. As I simply don't game all that much any more.
I've played on my brothers 1080p monitor and I think I'll be happy enough with it plus a gtx 970/r9 290x will do 1080p better than my 1080 does at 4k.

Caporegime
Hi all, I'm currently using a 1080ti and a 1440p gsync monitor, but I'm not gaming as much now and wont be in the near future as work and 2 year old plus 1 on the way.
The question is has any of you guys dropped to 1080p and say a used rx580 and are finding it ok coming from a 1080ti and 1440p?

Do you need the cash ?

If not then just keep it...after the sale of the monitor and gfx you still have to buy a new monitor and gfx card so you won’t recoup all the money...

Associate
OP
i've been thinking about this all day, im keeping the setup as i know if i do drop down and start gaming ill be annoyed with myself. oh and no its not that i need the money its more that i don't like graphics cards lose there value so fast and then i'm not using it that much.

what did get me thinking was i fired up the steam link and was impressed with 1080p. but and the same time i hated the controller, fps games i couldn't hit a dam thing.

Soldato
I wouldn't downgrade unless I desperately needed the cash or knew for a fact that I wouldn't be gaming in future.

I wouldn't sell my 4k TV if I found myself watching older box sets, and I wouldn't sell my car if I no longer had to drive to work.

Caporegime
I often take my 1080ti equipped rig over to my mates gaming shed at weekends, there I use a 21” 1680x1050 monitor to have our weekly Battlefield 4 session, normally at home I’ve got a 43” 4K screen.

Do I sit there bemoaning the low resolution or crap screen size? Not one bit, it’s a great nights gaming, it’s not what your playing with it’s with whom your doing so imo.

For the little time I actually spend gaming I should arguably sell my 1080ti and use something lesser, my mate who I play BF4 with still has a GTX 780 and is perfectly happy with it, it suits his needs and still cuts the mustard in that game- he out scores me anyway!

Associate
Well I'm thinking of selling everything in sig and just getting a cheapo laptop as I mainly use my computer for youtube vids, gaming has really dropped off for me because another hobby has now overtaken computing.

Soldato
Sell the monitor, buy a cheap 1080p or 1440p TN panel, the rest of the comp will last years and years, you could be sat here 10 years from now with this setup, watching you tube and lightly gaming

Soldato
I did that exact thing and sold my 1080 Ti on here a while back, downgrading to an RX 580. I found it no problem at all to be honest. Even staying at 1440p I found that most games could be made to run very nicely with tweaked settings. It was still a very pleasurable gaming experience, and there was literally zero difference in the game I play most (WoW). I'd still be using it were it not for a friend selling me their 1080 at mate's rates after they upgraded.

Back
Top Bottom