What "man jobs" have you done today?

Tea Drinker
Don
Are them timbers pressure treated? Its hard to tell if its green in the picture as it just looks like untreated construction timber. If it's not green irl, then you might want to try and get your money back as that will start to rot in no time.

Yes that looks like CLS although my treated roof timbers weren't particularly green.

9RPduIj.jpg

Soldato
CLS is just untreated construction timber isn't it?

Canadian Lumber Standard Timber (CLS Timber) is ideal for internal stud walling and stud partitioning. CLS timber is surfaced on all four sides and has radiused edges. ... Our range of CLS timber is perfect for creating stud walls and partitions

it's very possible its treated and the colour is just very light and not showing up in the photos like in maccas pic. But on the other hand, I have seen decks that were constructed using normal spruce construction timber to save a few £...

Associate
CLS is just untreated construction timber isn't it?

it's very possible its treated and the colour is just very light and not showing up in the photos like in maccas pic. But on the other hand, I have seen decks that were constructed using normal spruce construction timber to save a few £...
the cls I used was treated with a yellow colour preservative, not great for your health until it dried if I remember correctly.

Soldato
Are them timbers pressure treated? Its hard to tell if its green in the picture as it just looks like untreated construction timber. If it's not green irl, then you might want to try and get your money back as that will start to rot in no time.

Ello. It is all treated, it's been in place for 8 months, so has aged a bit. I've just finished sinking posts in to replace the shambles from before.

I only discovered it because I wanted to add balustrade as an afterthought.

Associate
Not all done today but over a few weeks/months.

Sorting out Rodger The Bodgers (previous owners) dodgy electrics.
Yellow shows where electrics initially went - round the door frame, and yes door hinge screws were found to be 1cm away from live cable, lucky escape for me, and yes arial cable running parallel with mains.
Got electrician to take feed from upstairs and run down the wall instead, found it be lime plaster over cob wall, urgh.

FOqBh81.jpg

Channelled out some socket areas for some AV cables, satellite, rear speakers, phone/internet, covered cables with plastic and began filling

LDG78br.jpg

I than thought I'd better plasterboard over this mess to get a better finish

S1AlNdN.jpg

Just about done, small of touching up and trunking to put on.

ATeqKXp.jpg

kai

kai

Soldato
Not really a man job, but when you see some abstract paintings at a local studio charging £280 up, you think... yeah lets have a go for £11.00. Wanted something for the office, so popped down to my local DIY store for sample paint pots and a cheap stretched canvas.

Version 1. I think with a bit of practice i can get something fairly decent.

h0fGP3z.jpg

Last edited:

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Not really a man job, but when you see some abstract paintings at a local studio charging £280 up, you think... yeah lets have a go for £11.00. Wanted something for the office, so popped down to my local DIY store for sample paint pots and a cheap stretched canvas.

Version 1. I think with a bit of practice i can get something fairly decent.

h0fGP3z.jpg

Did you follow any YouTube videos etc? I’d be interested in a guide!

Soldato
Went all the way from the lanes to Falmouth, Cornwall and back to deliver my sold motorbike. What a journey. 20hrs in total. Shared the driving but still a mega mission, going to bed at 11.30pm and back up at 3am.

Soldato
Moved about 7tons of rubble to the front garden for a grab lorry.
p.jpeg

For some reason the previous owner decided to create planting rows with half a foot deep concrete under paving slabs. Midly overkill to say the least, unless his wife weighed as much as a car.

Soldato
Put some temporary shelves up in the garage for my girlfriend's workshop. Not too sturdy so hopefully she doesn't have big plans for them. Laser levelling markers are brilliant!

Put some blinds up in the living room there too. I learned today that a) cutting blinds is a ballache and b) photographing blinds in the daytime is a ballache.

We're just starting to decorate but needed the blinds up for privacy so they'll have to come down when it's time to paint :o

Soldato
Getting closer -wife is digging the borders out as over the years of adding bags of manure to them they are now a foot above lawn - so I get the soil thrown on my new lawn to be. - Not far to go till it's level with top of wood surround then it's smooth it off and seed.

414204507.jpg

Soldato
Water always pools Infront of my shed so fitted an aco drain

Nice work, now you need to get a coat of preserver on there :p. My shed was looking similar so I got some Barretine preserver in golden brown and it is looking brand new again. I thought it had only been a year or two since i last put something on there, but looked at a pic I took after doing it and it was from 5 years ago :eek:.

Soldato
Nice work, now you need to get a coat of preserver on there :p. My shed was looking similar so I got some Barretine preserver in golden brown and it is looking brand new again. I thought it had only been a year or two since i last put something on there, but looked at a pic I took after doing it and it was from 5 years ago :eek:.
I have kinda left it because the wood is tanalised.
I did use the end grain treatment once though.

Soldato
I have kinda left it because the wood is tanalised.
I did use the end grain treatment once though.

My pressure treated shed has some signs of wet rot on the back of the facia boards where I couldn't stain it. It's nowhere near 15 years old either, so i'd take the 'tanalised timber is rot free for 15 years' with a pinch of salt.

Wickes are currently doing a BOGOF deal on woodcare until Monday if you do get tempted :D. I just ordered some Ronseal clear preservative for some bird tables I'm making and they worked out around £16, which is the cheapest I have seen it.

Back
Top Bottom