***The Pond Discussion Thread****

Soldato
Are there any valves on the filter ?
Sounds like it may be in backwash mode and pumping to drain.

Thanks

I could not see any except a release valve which is at the bottom and empties the pond that is closed.

Perhaps there is something inside the filter tank that I have missed out

Or it could be the water is escaping somewhere else just crazy to think where almost 20,000 litres dissapeared to!

Soldato
20k ltrs of water wouldnt be down to evaporation so your pump is leaking as you say it only happens when it’s running.

Does it have a fountain or something thats aiming over the side?

Soldato
20k ltrs of water wouldnt be down to evaporation so your pump is leaking as you say it only happens when it’s running.

Does it have a fountain or something thats aiming over the side?

Pump is leaking? How can a pump leak?

Yes it has a downslide with some welsh stones running fown two paths

Maybe some of the seal here is broken? Then the water goes into the ground while it trickles down the path?

Soldato
Pump is leaking? How can a pump leak?

Yes it has a downslide with some welsh stones running fown two paths

Maybe some of the seal here is broken? Then the water goes into the ground while it trickles down the path?

Yes likely that is the culprit. Id remove all the stones and see if you can see anything. If not then consider painting it with pond liner paint or repllacing the run all together

Pump could leak from any hosing that runs outside the pond. I dont know your setup so guessing.

Soldato
Can you access the end of the pipe that feeds the cascade?

If you can you could temporarily extend it so it feeds directly back into the pond. If that fixes the water loss you'll know it's the cascade. If it doesn't you'll know to look elsewhere.

Associate
Hello all, we've recently bought our first home and naturally we wanted to put a small pond in, we got a small preformed liner and put it in and I'm really struggling for inspiration on how to have the area around it

Would absolutely love to see how some of you have your ponds set up, all very exciting!

Thanks

Associate
i01ju141500a.jpg
Not quite a pond but got one of these in my garden. Also got a good mate that's a joiner that could help with install.

Soldato
Have a search for garden ponds - there are a couple of threads.

I have a small pond 3x2m about 1.2-1.5m deep at its deepest. So about 5000l. With a 8000l/h pump at the deepest point through a 9000 sized canister filter, then through a veggie filter before a small waterfall back to the pond on the far end.

It came with wood trim around it at floor level.. so in the next couple of years i’ll need to redo with stone I think.

Last edited:
Soldato
I see all the threads have been merged.

The koi have uprooted the moved iris. With the sun the blanket weed has been going nuts but joe the veggie filter is in in full growth the blanket weed has slowed.

Caporegime
OP
I see all the threads have been merged.

The koi have uprooted the moved iris. With the sun the blanket weed has been going nuts but joe the veggie filter is in in full growth the blanket weed has slowed.

I had a major problem with blanket weed and a massive invasion of Hornwort...tbh I never noticed the hornwort until my pond suddenly grew a Cotton wool beard all along the bottom and then the top..I used some colder leaf and removed what I could but in the end the only solution was to remove it all manually...I’m nearly there...

Soldato
I had a major problem with blanket weed and a massive invasion of Hornwort...tbh I never noticed the hornwort until my pond suddenly grew a Cotton wool beard all along the bottom and then the top..I used some colder leaf and removed what I could but in the end the only solution was to remove it all manually...I’m nearly there...

Hornwort is actually a really good plant to have in your pond as it forces out algee

Caporegime
OP
I had some blanket weed...So I removed what I could and used Cloverleaf Blanket answer and got rid of it....But any idea how to get rid of this? I have been removing a lot of the sludge and dead algae from the pond with some Polyester wadding as a pre filter on my pump but I'm now at my wits end....I have changed the pre filter must be 50 times...The algae is just to small once it breaks up to be caught by my main filter above the waterfall so I have resorted to putting polyester wadding on the output of the waterfall too. :(

You can see its not being caught by the waterfall filter Oase Biomart 36000 https://www.oase-livingwater.com/en_GB/water-garden/products/p/biosmart-36000.1000079943.html

Is there another filter I can buy that traps this fine algae?

and Its getting sucked in from the pond up the waterfall filter and coming down and settling in the waterfall...How do i get rid of it... For now I have been using a 100 micron filter bag in the waterfall and manually removing it by hand..Swirling the bag around catching it...But this is not a long term solution....I have Put 1 litre of Cloverleaf Sludge answerhttp://cloverleaf.uk.net/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=60

The pond is clear crystal clear when I put some in a pint glass from the waterfall....PH was 9 two weeks ago but since cleaning it dropped to 7.5

syVauNS.jpg

And has the water runs down the falls it settles looking like this....When you poke it it turns to dust

ZW7BtrL.jpg

It clumps together and when you poke it with your finger it just turns to dust....and there is a fine dust all over the pond bottom....I 100 micron bag removes some of this when I swirl it around the shallows but is there anything I can add that can do this naturally?

This is what it looks like in my plastic wadding rinsing container...put when you poke it turns to dust....

hnSKBGB.jpg

LmeDMqK.jpg

WGUrfqE.jpg

1mzOVBJ.jpg

Ju1K43I.jpg

Soldato
Hi

Can someone please tell me the correct way to clean a filter box, I used to use a hose but understand this is not correct, a bucket of pond water to clean the sponge filters is best, ok simple enough, but if I use a bucket of pond water, should I empty the dirty water back into the pond, my pond is not that big so just wondered how I should top the water levels back up?

Thanks

Associate
You're fine to clean the filter box with a hose/tap water. It's the filter media (especially the biological type) you need to avoid rinsing in anything other pond water.

I use the dirty pond water to water my plants and trees. The lost water from the pond should be topped up with fresh dechlorinated water.

Back
Top Bottom