HP Microserver+XPEnology

Associate
can't argue with that @ANDARIAL

I was lucky in that I've 2 servers with replicated hardware and XPE installations, 1 mirrored to the other, so I was able to offline the mirror and upgrade the working server... couple of squeaky bum moments during the upgrade, but I went from 5.2 to 6.1(whatever version was available 163 days back from today), the upgraded the mirror server when the other one was stable and running 14+ days.

They're both online for 160ish days now and I've left them as is... got 2.5TB free out of 12TB at the minute, but that'll be dropping as some data's pruned and cast off where no longer required.

Soldato
Most places are now "out of stock", only Gen9 is now available (yuK!) Picked Gen8 up of off the MM for £100 inc shipping.

Probably worth keeping your eye out for a second hand one even as a "spare".

Last edited:
Associate
When I upgraded mine to 6.x, I had enough hardware to make a second box and mirror the primary... As long as you follow the tutorial on the XPen forum to the letter, you should be fine really. Just don't try the latest synoboot on a microserver, as it looks like it needs a Haswell or above due to new updates Synology have made to their side of things.

Did the mirror box after the primary and they're both still ticking along nicely

Associate
I have a second microserver but not enough drives to mirror all my data.

I planned to set it up off-site as a mirror, anyone know how easy that task would be when I do pick up some drives?

Associate
I have a second microserver but not enough drives to mirror all my data.

I planned to set it up off-site as a mirror, anyone know how easy that task would be when I do pick up some drives?

I used to use "Shared Folder Sync" through the control panel, but I've now shifted to using SyncThing... bit more involved on the setup than SFS, but cleaner and works for what I need.

Off-site mirror should be relatively easy, given a target IP and the like. Principle's the same as having the servers in the same place physically.

Associate
yo guys. I'm just adding another external drive for backup purposes. The initial idea was to be able to just plug the drive into a windows machine if the server went down for any reason. I formatted it to NTFS for this reason, but the data is not recognised when I plug into windows anyway?

If this is a waste of time, am I better off just formatting to ext4? Would it be possible to plug a ext4 drive into a linux machine and get the data?

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Still running 5.0..

No clue how to upgrade

Ended up upgrading mine today following a few guides. Took a few attempts but only once I realised I was misreading. Now on 6.1 and haven't lost any data! Haven't gone to 6.2 as the Jun Loader I use doesn't go that far but 6.1 is fine.

I initially went 5.0 to 5.2 last night, not sure that was necessary and coincidentally moved up to 6.1 about an hour ago.

I used this guide to go from 5.0 to 5.2 (https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/4383-migration-dsm-50-to-52/) but some of the links are dead so you have to google for the files.

Back
Top Bottom