Bring out your dead

Associate
there's traffic however, I find I get annoyed at morons not knowing what NSL signs mean, that NSL still applies in the Hindhead tunnel and the speed limit doesn't magically drop to the random 60mph that so many people seem to think it does and just people generally being tools. I'll often accelerate a bit to get well past them, but I just find it more difficult to sit at 70 when the roads are busier.

This, totally this! I find myself passing on the left those idiots who slow to 60 or less. Even had a bloody McLaren the other day doing bang on 60 thru there who had been happily tanking along in front at 80-90 a few minutes before the tunnel.

I find adaptive cruise has taken a lot of stress away from commute driving though.

Soldato
I overtake way more aggresively than needed, if I'm overtaking someone doing 40 in a 60 I'll run the car right through the revs at full throttle and scream past them. I don't really know why :D

I also road rage all the time when I'm driving a lorry, not aggresively but I'll just sit and wind myself up at peoples cretinous driving.

Soldato
I pick my nose and then spit the bogies out the van window as I drive....

If I see another driver picking their nose on the other side of the road I think "owww that's disgusting!!" :D

I'm not proud of this but tissue just doesn't do the same job after a hard days graft on the tools :(

Soldato
Oh yeah there is one more - I will blast by the "40 everywhere regardless" mob even on a short stretch of nsl just so I can slow them down in the next 30 zone.

I know I won't make any more real progress, but it genuinely annoys them and I get some satisfaction from it

Soldato
Pretty much.

Of course if there is a police car that decides to be grumpy, you might get a tug.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/motorways-253-to-273

Given 90% of the time people are sitting in the middle lane despite rule 264 I take the chance that if I'm cruising at 70mph and I'm going faster than someone in lane 2, rule 268 applies. It's more a "technically I'm ok" thing than "highway code" / "the law" says it's ok.

You need to be careful with the situations you do this in or you could end up with points for careless driving which is never going to go down well with insurers:

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q891.htm

Overtaking on the left is lawful if done in accordance with the above guidance. However, whilst there is no specific offence of overtaking on the left, if a driver undertook another vehicle, other than in the circumstances described above e.g. in the case of someone hogging lane 2 on a motorway, they may be prosecuted for careless driving.

Man of Honour
Shock and awe overtakes are the best. Gently pull alongside, sit alongside, drop 3 cogs and....

Cannonball Countach their ass!

Soldato
You need to be careful with the situations you do this in or you could end up with points for careless driving which is never going to go down well with insurers:

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q891.htm
As I said, undertaking as an actual manoeuvre involving moving to the left to pass someone is stupid and I don't do that. I also don't just sit in lane 1 and try to pass people, I'll usually pull into lane 2, 3 and back into 1 having passed middle lane idiots. If someone is in lane 3 also going under 70 or there is average traffic, meh, take my chances. The police don't even patrol the roads, let alone tug middle lane idiots despite it being an actual offence so chances are pretty low of getting a telling off/points.

Associate
There's something satisfying about undertaking the middle lane owners club.

It's like a mildly petty way of telling them they're an idiot. Especially when they move over after realizing you've passed them.

gEd

gEd

Associate
I do get impatient and tailgatey, it’s hard when you drive a lot of B Roads and people have no concept of what NSL is. I’ve even honked on overtaking a few times which I know is pretty stupid! Just infuriating.

What is your understanding of the concept of the NSL?

Caporegime
Shock and awe overtakes are the best. Gently pull alongside, sit alongside, drop 3 cogs and....

Cannonball Countach their ass!

Do you look over, make eye contact, and blow them a kiss, before mashing the loud pedal? :D
If so I hope that you are also wearing dark shades and listening to Phil Collins far too loudly.

Man of Honour
What is your understanding of the concept of the NSL?
It depends on the road and the vehicle. Generally most people discussing NSL are referring to cars, motorcycles and car derived vans on single carriageway roads outside of built up areas (ie 60mph)

Of course the sign can refer to many limits, which is why it's so widely used.

Soldato
In the last 2 days I’ve encountered 4 people hogging lane 3 on a relatively clear 3 lane motorway. One of them doing 60mph. Even sitting there with my right indicator on didn’t seem to get the point across so I had little choice but to nip into lane 1 and carry on.

Utter morons. I guess in that case it was undertaking but I’m not sure what the police’s stance would be on that - I imagine they’d be more interested in said lane 3 hoggers.

Back
Top Bottom