*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Good to know, just a bit annoying, but then I guess it is enterprise grade equipment. Still though a modification is needed to make it tolerable in a home environment, it is Noctua fans I put in mine.

The reviews on other forums I've seen have stated that it is incredibly loud and far louder than the switches.

Soldato
I've had a little look at the USG Pro 4s, and I'm considering one of those if I can find a used one. Do they have the same issue of not being supported/legacy as the USG3?

All the support issues are the same. They are being supported, in the same way that the old square and green lamp access points are being supported but there probably won’t be much in the way of new features being added.

A used one would be a good option.

Soldato
Anyone have much experience with the wall ones? I have 2 unifi saucers on the ceiling at home and have been happy with them for over 3 years. The holiday cottages we run have cheap crappy APs and walls covered in foil backed insulation so I'd like to improve the situation down there, as well as have the bonus of configuring them better, running multiple ssids from the same set of APs to give holiday makers plenty of coverage.

I belitbey also have additional ethernet ports on them which would help with putting up some ip cameras on the farmyard/courtyard.

Soldato
Yes, I’ve got installs running with the AP-IC-IW, AP-AC-IW-Pro and AP-AC-IW-HD. They work exactly the same as an AP-AC-Lite, AP-AC-Pro or AP-AC-HDNano. Given your use-case I wouldn’t go any faster than the AP-AC-IW.

Soldato
Yes, I’ve got installs running with the AP-IC-IW, AP-AC-IW-Pro and AP-AC-IW-HD. They work exactly the same as an AP-AC-Lite, AP-AC-Pro or AP-AC-HDNano. Given your use-case I wouldn’t go any faster than the AP-AC-IW.
Yeah my plan was to only get the one suggested, there's no need for anything more. For not horrific money a decent network can be set up there and in the main property so that there is decent service everywhere.

Associate
morning all, decided i want to fix my downstairs wifi so looking at the ac pro or the nano., running virgin 350mbit at mo. The main pc in study i need to run wired the rest wifi, best to keep my virgin in router mode and use the ports or switch to modem mode and get a switch? i have no idea when it comes to this lot! , Downstairs will be 2 laptops, 1 Ipad, 2 phones, PS4, XB1 and few alexas

Associate
morning all, decided i want to fix my downstairs wifi so looking at the ac pro or the nano., running virgin 350mbit at mo. The main pc in study i need to run wired the rest wifi, best to keep my virgin in router mode and use the ports or switch to modem mode and get a switch? i have no idea when it comes to this lot! , Downstairs will be 2 laptops, 1 Ipad, 2 phones, PS4, XB1 and few alexas

Hi, I've got Vivid 350 also. I run the superhub in modem mode connected to a SFF PC running Pfsense, which connects to a standard 8 port network switch, off that are two network cables one for each nano-hd I have ceiling mounted, one in living room and one on the landing. Works great for me, no dead spots and good speed on WiFi devices (Note; I do live in a modern plasterboard house so your mileage with the number of access points required may vary).

Associate
Hi, I've got Vivid 350 also. I run the superhub in modem mode connected to a SFF PC running Pfsense, which connects to a standard 8 port network switch, off that are two network cables one for each nano-hd I have ceiling mounted, one in living room and one on the landing. Works great for me, no dead spots and good speed on WiFi devices (Note; I do live in a modern plasterboard house so your mileage with the number of access points required may vary).

thanks for the info, going to need a switch defo as want to run superhub in modem mode, and its either the ac pro or nano ill go for, (cant make mind up) its choosing a good switch thats the pain too, had cheap tlink ones in past that were naff

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
If you are going to be running in modem mode you will need a router. If you are simply just adding an AP you can leave it in router mode (but turn off wifi) and feed your AP from one of the SH3 ports.

My setup is currently (after catching the bug); SH3 > USG3P > US8 (feeding an AC-Lite) > US8-60w (feeding another AC-Lite at the other end of the house). I already feel like I need something else :/

Soldato
thanks for the info, going to need a switch defo as want to run superhub in modem mode, and its either the ac pro or nano ill go for, (cant make mind up) its choosing a good switch thats the pain too, had cheap tlink ones in past that were naff

It's no contest the Nano is the better AP and built on newer tech, if you're willing to spend that much for a single AP it is the one to go for.

And as Kol said if you turn it to Modem mode you'll need a Router, better off just switching off the Wifi.

Soldato
He said in another thread that apparently they won't receive anymore major feature updates.

Yeah I saw him say that, I was just wondering if there was an elaboration on it. As I can't imagine the lack of feature updates is much of an issue in a home environment.
And the Edgerouter newest big update has bricked half the Edgerouter X series devices.
That's a bit naughty.

Soldato
Yeah I saw him say that, I was just wondering if there was an elaboration on it. As I can't imagine the lack of feature updates is much of an issue in a home environment.

That's a bit naughty.
I think it's currently pulled whilst they investigate.

My groan with the Unifi and ER equipment is that there are quite a few features missing from one or the other that come standard on more basic consumer based routers.

Soldato
I think it's currently pulled whilst they investigate.

My groan with the Unifi and ER equipment is that there are quite a few features missing from one or the other that come standard on more basic consumer based routers.

Yes, and hopefully they're fixing it in the new UbiOS system. Obviously not as fast as anyone would like, but they are supposedly fixing it.

I've turned a negative into a positive and now I run the USG as just the router to enable all the simple management functions and I put an Untangle box in after it in Bridge mode so I can sell an extra device and a recurring licence fee. It's ALL win! And Untangle dashboard makes Unifi look positively antiquated.

Soldato
I think the last stable firmware for the USG was released in the first week of December last year. There are a few grumbles about the fact that it fails some security vulnerability scans but Chris Buechler has stated that they are 'not significant'. And let's be honest, he's probably in a better position than most of us to state is a firewall vulnerability is significant or not.

I'm desperately hoping that the UDM is being used a development platform for the new USG, the 'Pro' (layer 3) switches and the next generation of controller software. You'd also have to query the future of Amplifi with the imminent release of the UDM Beacon which is effectively the same thing as Amplifi.

Back
Top Bottom