• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So just how are AMD going to shoot themselves in the foot with the NAVI launch?

Associate
Water block companies around the world rejoice. Which is great for me. Nice cheap crappy blower please so I can slap a new water block on it and spank the ar$e off it. :D
Most AMD cards love water ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Funny how AdoredTV gets ripped apart when the Navi rumours were favourable and is now given credence when the Navi rumours are negative.

I'm usually open to what he has to say, regardless if it's good or bad against a company.

If Navi will be good or not remains to be seen. I'm more in the boat of "there is no such thing as a bad card, only bad prices". If they can give Vega 56 performance at no more than 200-220 dollars (or less for a potential 4GB variant), it will be good.

bru

bru

Soldato
OP
Funny how AdoredTV gets ripped apart when the Navi rumours were favourable and is now given credence when the Navi rumours are negative.

It is daft because in the Navi thread he is being trashed for talking Billy.
But it does just go to show how much we all want to right about how we think the chips will fall so to speak.
Only a few more weeks and then we can see just what AMD plan to bring to the market, let us hope the CPU arena is as good as rumours seem to say it is and that the GPU side of things is better than the latest rumours.

Soldato
^^ oh yes

Since all of the rumours have gotten out of control and now contradictory, I'm going to state my personal hype train as where I'm coming in and what I'm waiting for. We'll see how disappointed I end up in a month or two:

For my new rig, I want a Navi card to trade punches with the RTX 2070, to do so with a single 8-pin power connector and to cost no more than £300. And a waterblock.
For my other half's new rig, I'd be happy with existing Vega 56 performance for no more than £250.

I'm about to sort through all my old rat blankets so I can make a start getting hankies for me to cry into when Navi doesn't meet those modest, 2019 expectations.

bru

bru

Soldato
OP
^^ oh yes

Since all of the rumours have gotten out of control and now contradictory, I'm going to state my personal hype train as where I'm coming in and what I'm waiting for. We'll see how disappointed I end up in a month or two:

For my new rig, I want a Navi card to trade punches with the RTX 2070, to do so with a single 8-pin power connector and to cost no more than £300. And a waterblock.
For my other half's new rig, I'd be happy with existing Vega 56 performance for no more than £250.

I'm about to sort through all my old rat blankets so I can make a start getting hankies for me to cry into when Navi doesn't meet those modest, 2019 expectations.
Well your wants are not to outlandish, so I reckon you will get two out of three, not sure which one will be a let down for you though.
Well at least I hope it is only two out of three and not worse.

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
Cheers Andrew! :p I did mean to type £200 for that one ;) although by the time I get the money together Vega 56 will be off the shelves, plus I'd need to get a new PSU as well.

To be serious though. I'd expect AMD can hit 2070 with Navi 10 but I'd expect it to take some power to hit it. How much that will be is a guessing game but I'd expect their top Navi 10 unit to hit 295 Watts, because why not. It'll max out their tech. And we can expect that anywhere between R7 and Vega 64. And it at least has to hit Vega 64 because it's replacing that part and it should beat it because well it's replacing it.

Vega 56 performance at £200 would be pretty impressive but you might have to wait to say Black Friday to get that price and the same with 2070 Navi for £300. Sooner or later those prices will come up, it's just how long you're willing to wait and be happy with your hardware. Personally I'm quite happy with my hardware for nearly all games and are only let down a little by a few, which I plan on playing after an upgrade. And I can hold off on that until I get the right deal. Partly because I'm happy playing games that are more than 3-4 years old.

And on a side note I doubt I could tell the difference between Vega 56 and 2070 performance, unless maybe at 4k where it starts to really slow down

Caporegime
Cliff notes would be nice, not gonna listen to a lot of long winded ****** that could be summed up in a quarter of the time.
Yeah. He spends so much of his time responding to things people say on his Twitter or some crap.

Guy is seriously full of himself.

It's like a forum spat only blown up into a video post for the added bonus of listening to him drone on!

Soldato
:D
Or Intel......

Sad.. it’s not that bad, Intel has heat issues but the power draw is way overplayed imo

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-core-i9-9900k-processor-review,5.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-review,7.html

Not sure how reliable guru3d is, posting on a phone it was one of the first to come up but those two reviews that indicated that while playing games the 8700k drew less power than a 2700x and under full multithread stress load the 9900k and 2700x drew the same power

I think people just assume because the 8700k/9700k/9900k get really hot that they use a lot of power - I haven't heard anyone say the 2700x is a power hog, probably because it has the perception that it’s more efficient because it runs cooler.

Out of interest, does anyone know the chip size between amd and intel? I know Intel has some really **** TIM design leading to heat issues, but why does Ryzen run so much cooler, is the die/chip itself larger therefore the heat has a larger surface area to dissipate over?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Sad.. it’s not that bad, Intel has heat issues but the power draw is way overplayed imo

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-core-i9-9900k-processor-review,5.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-review,7.html

Not sure how reliable guru3d is, posting on a phone it was one of the first to come up but those two reviews that indicated that while playing games the 8700k drew less power than a 2700x and under full multithread stress load the 9900k and 2700x drew the same power

I think people just assume because the 8700k/9700k/9900k get really hot that they use a lot of power - I haven't heard anyone say the 2700x is a power hog, probably because it has the perception that it’s more efficient because it runs cooler.

Out of interest, does anyone know the chip size between amd and intel? I know Intel has some really **** TIM design leading to heat issues, but why does Ryzen run so much cooler, is the die/chip itself larger therefore the heat has a larger surface area to dissipate over?

There is a relationship between power draw and thermal output - while not quite 1:1 similar power draw will result in similar amounts of heat generated though the efficiency of the cooling will change the sensor numbers for how hot they run.

The reason people slate the power draw is because they don't understand how Intel specify TDP and don't bother checking the CPU datasheet.

Ryzen CPUs tend to be quite big which probably helps heat dissipation - the IHS alone is as big or maybe slightly larger than the substrate of an equivalent Intel CPU - the IHS on an equivalent Intel CPU is maybe even approaching 20% smaller area though that is just a comparison from memory.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom