Bodykit prep and paint costs etc.

smr

smr

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm wondering whether to buy the Zetec S body kit for my Ford Focus second hand or brand new prices off ebay.

The kit I need is rear bumper and diffuser, rear spoiler, front spoiler. The price I can get them for is around £800 new.

If I did that, they'd come primed, so I assume I'd just take them to a bodyshop and all they'd have to do is paint them, with no prep as they're already primed? If so roughly how much would that cost?

A cheaper option may be to source the kit second hand for considerably less money, but with the caveat that they will more than likely all come with some marks, scratches, scuffs and possibly dents, meaning they'd need prep work, then painting. If the cost for this is around the same price as buying new and just having them painted it'd make sense to get them new?

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice on that aspect but that's not really what I was asking (I've already bought my car and I love it, it's the Titanium model), I just want the Zetec S spoilers and bumpers as they look much better than the bog standard looking Focus. I'm aware that insurance cost might go up etc. etc.

Soldato
Decent body shop c £250-£350 ish if all prepped and perfect fitting and a good colour match is achievable. Ie no paint fade or previous in situe repairs on yours.

It would prob cost you as much or more in labour for them to repair and prep a second hand one than the difference to new.

Soldato
the price will be close to buying from new..................jazz rear door resprayed, bonnet resprayed, front and rear bumper resprayed, was about a thousand quid, car polished twice and waxed by myself. It was basically a 15k low mileage wreck before i started!

the big pain was to polish the car after its respray so the areas not painted looked as good as the fresh paint, took two hours.

i would say with your car the big problem is, what is the rest of it like? because if the rest of the paint job isn't close to perfect it really shows

Soldato
Are they genuine Ford parts you’re going to fit? If not then aftermarket parts can be a real pain to manipulate to fit since copies don’t tend to be so well made which will push the labour cost up assuming you’re not going to fit the items yourself.

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
Are they genuine Ford parts you’re going to fit? If not then aftermarket parts can be a real pain to manipulate to fit since copies don’t tend to be so well made which will push the labour cost up assuming you’re not going to fit the items yourself.

Yes they are genuine Ford parts which I will be able to fit myself, they're easy to install.

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
This for example is the rear bumper and diffuser - it's just the bottom part of the bumper I need, along with the diffuser, this is £120 used, looks in OK condition but there will be scratches, marks, blemishes etc. that need sorting so it will need some prep, how much I'm not sure exactly.

The price for these parts brand new and primed is £339.

So what I am wondering is, is it worth me paying £120 and then getting them prepped and painted, and cost for that, or is it going to come to the same price if I bought new at £339 and got them painted, considering there may be less prep work needed?

Soldato
I really wouldn't. I've never met a bodyshop that did a good job. Ever!!

Most are not trained well, or at least to what I call a professional standard. I can almost guarantee the paint will have trapped dust in it.

Forget the idea.....not being funny but it's a focus. Just enjoy it for what is it.

If you have that sort of money, save it for your next car.

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
I really wouldn't. I've never met a bodyshop that did a good job. Ever!!

Most are not trained well, or at least to what I call a professional standard. I can almost guarantee the paint will have trapped dust in it.

Forget the idea.....not being funny but it's a focus. Just enjoy it for what is it.

If you have that sort of money, save it for your next car.

How many bodyshops have you met? :p

Soldato
How many bodyshops have you met? :p

four in total

three of which paint in the main workshop :eek:

my friend is a car detailer, and he knows how they are trained. Prime, paint, sand the dust off, paint again.....hope the customer is happy. He had his bonnet resprayed and could still see the stone chips through the paint. They said it was perfect LOL (this is the same bodyshop Audi use, and I've personally seen pre-reg cars sat outside waiting for work)

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
four in total

three of which paint in the main workshop :eek:

my friend is a car detailer, and he knows how they are trained. Prime, paint, sand the dust off, paint again.....hope the customer is happy. He had his bonnet resprayed and could still see the stone chips through the paint. They said it was perfect LOL (this is the same bodyshop Audi use, and I've personally seen pre-reg cars sat outside waiting for work)

Amazing, you'd think someone would open a bodyshop where they painted in a chambered dust free environment. Could be onto a fortune...

Soldato
To answer the used Vs new/prepped question it will cost less to have used parts prepped and painted all in - even primed items will require minor prep so it won't suddenly become £50 a panel painted Vs £150

Back
Top Bottom