• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
I guess those analysts predicting millions of pc gamers would switch to consoles next year knew something we didn’t until today

Soldato
Jim is not one to cast shade on AMD for no good reason. I think we are looking at hopefully the final fail of GCN. It should put some pressure on the mid range Nvidia offerings, but Nvidia coming with a 2070ti I suspect points to exactly where they think the top end Navi chips are going to get to and are covering that base before AMD even get there.

I think the 3080 from AMD is going to get to within 5% of the 2080, but it is going to be hot and use more power than they wanted to get there.

Soldato
Looks like Navi is another stinker going by that video, quelle surprise. If your engineers can't wait to get shot of the product and move on to the next thing because it's so bad then you've got serious problems; shame. The PC GPU and gaming market may die now because of Nvidia's rampant greed, unless Intel can save us of course.

I am sorry but is not competition issue here. Have a look at 1650, 1660 and 2060 segments.
Nvidia completely ignores that there is competition, overcharging lesser products.

Look at Intel pricing on the CPU side. So don't expect AMD pulling miracles as long as current tech sites and forums are overstuffed by Intel and Nvidia worshipers.... And I do not write customers, because the majority cannot afford to buy anything better than their 970 and 4770k having for years. Idiocy at its best.

Soldato
But you said people can’t afford better

Both the 970 and 4770k were $330usd each.

I’m sure you could get a much better gpu and cpu in 2019 if you had $660usd. And if someone had that money years ago why wouldn’t they have it now unless unemployed.

You can just about get a rtx 2060 and i7 8700k/r7 2700x with that in 2019 which in total would provide a performance boost of about 90% from what I can see

Last edited:
Soldato
Hang on...

"Navi Instinct"? Since when? I thought the entire point of Navi was a trim, slim, gaming-focussed iteration of GCN designed specifically on 7nm. So where in the hell does the datacentre compute come from?

Permabanned
The whole 'engineers can't wait to get rid of it' sounds like utter hyperbole.

What's the time stamp of that part please?

I guess those analysts predicting millions of pc gamers would switch to consoles next year knew something we didn’t until today

Why? AMD will continue to sell gpu's in the section the most sales come from, that's what matters and PC gamers will be in the same situation then as they are now.

So people are leaving in droves to get a Ps5, which will provide the exact same GPU?
:D

I am sorry but is not competition issue here. Have a look at 1650, 1660 and 2060 segments.
Nvidia completely ignores that there is competition, overcharging lesser products.

Look at Intel pricing on the CPU side. So don't expect AMD pulling miracles as long as current tech sites and forums are overstuffed by Intel and Nvidia worshipers.... And I do not write customers, because the majority cannot afford to buy anything better than their 970 and 4770k having for years. Idiocy at its best.

Navi's going to compete where it matters most & that's all that matters. The VII will remain the flagship well into 2020 but that doesn't mean Navi's failed it means the first iteration of Navi is performing as expected.

But you said people can’t afford better

Both the 970 and 4770k were $330usd each.

I’m sure you could get a much better gpu and cpu in 2019 if you had $660usd. And if someone had that money years ago why wouldn’t they have it now unless unemployed.

You can just about get a rtx 2060 and i7 8700k/r7 2700x with that in 2019 which in total would provide a performance boost of about 90% from what I can see

A 2700x & a Vega would be my choice? I chose those for myself & with hindsight if I had to go back and buy my components again I'd buy the same ones.

Permabanned
Permabanned
Hang on...

"Navi Instinct"? Since when? I thought the entire point of Navi was a trim, slim, gaming-focussed iteration of GCN designed specifically on 7nm. So where in the hell does the datacentre compute come from?

There might be, The Radeon Instinct MI6 is a Polaris based card so we could see a Navi option this time around..

https://www.techpowerup.com/234524/...nct-mi8-and-mi6-machine-learning-accelerators

Having said that, Back then they used Fiji & Polaris to fill a gap in their product stack while waiting for Vega. With several iterations of Vega around today there may be no reason to make a Navi version.

Permabanned
If Navi can't improve performance watt to better than Nvidia on 12NM,AMD are utterly going to get mauled when Nvidia moves to a new node. Nvidia will have more headroom to improve performance even at higher TDPs.

Until they move away from GCN I can't see any significant performance to watt improvements happening.

Probably a consistent 2080 beater.
But isn't Navi meant to be lower performance than a Vega VII?

More like Vega 64 performance at a lower price point.

It depends who you ask but yeah I think Vega 64's going to be the best 1st gen Navi can muster.

Soldato
Probably a consistent 2080 beater.
But isn't Navi meant to be lower performance than a Vega VII?

More like Vega 64 performance at a lower price point.
In the video he talks about Navi 20 (high end) too, one model is approximately equal to a Radeon VII and the top model is approximately 10% faster and costs $500. We don't know if these Navi 20 cards are coming out this year or next although previous rumours said 2020.

Soldato
The big discrepancies which also show up in his table are, imo, from card variance & stock settings fumbles.

I get 20% performance difference on my V64 from just slightly tweaking it and allowing +50% PL.

If you look at Vega performance from reviews and whatnot, it's all over the place. While for Nvidia you can see it's fine-tuned to the max, and can't expect much tuning to the cards either way (high floor/low ceiling for OC performance & tier competition).

Back
Top Bottom