Would your future self send advice to your earlier self?

Soldato
Yeah that I should have stuck in school better and learnt myself a proper trade instead of just thinking about money at the time and getting a job as soon as I left school. Now I'm still stuck in crappy dead end jobs and I can't really afford to re-train without carrying on working also.
Take a hit and get trained up. Join a local collage and do an evening course and take holiday to do the courses during the day.

I was in a similar situation. I was a trainee carpenter when I was younger but dropped out of collage. Ive spent the last 15 years without a skill but worked my way up as far as I could go. My employee refused to pay me more money and said if I wanted more I'd have to leave. I felt used and abused but the big Corp who didn't care about me or my skills and drive to get to a decent salary and position.

I spent the last year's worth of holiday days working back on the tools with a carpenter who then asked me to go self employed and work with him as he has work coming out if his ears.

3 months later and I've never been happier. I have my own tools and van and I'm relearning a trade. I'm better off financially as well as in my home life. I'm also my own boss which feels great.

If you want it just do it mate, you can do anything if you try hard enough to get there. Im 37 and people told me it was too late to change my career path. Its never too late but every day you spend procrastinating is another day lost.

Good luck

Soldato
Oh, I forgot one.

Buy lots and lots of bitcoin.

Buy lots of shares in Apple and Microsoft when you start work. Then sell the lot (Bit Coin, Apple and MS) in 2018 and retire. Lots of money related stuff as well

I would also tell myself which girls to go for and more importantly which to avoid at all costs

Man of Honour
Spend less time to people who have a lot to say about everything and more with the quiet ones. Question the older more and spend time asking them about their life because often they will have lived through fascinating times. Never mistake a quick mind and energy as knowing and being special. You are not as informed as you think you are in your 20’s.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't send advice. I don't think it would do any good. I would send support and encouragement. Some of the things we face when we are young aren't failures of not knowing what we should do, but of having the courage to do it. And this is something that takes time to build and develop. You could tell a 13 year old child they should do something about what is happening, but it's not a question of should but of overcoming the emotional difficulties - shame, fear, self-doubt. I think I would send only a message saying: "I'm here, all these years later. Things are different now. You didn't give up."

Advice is over-rated.

Associate
When I finished uni you could buy a 3 bed victorian terrace in London (Brixton) for about 45k, I got a fairly decent job and could quite easily afforded one. But no, I decided to rent :(. One of the worst financial mistakes of my life....

Associate
Yea. Lots of cryptocurrency related advice hah. That's mostly it though. Focus on fitness and healthy eating a lot more would be a given. That and play less Fifa and multiplayer games in general.

Associate
When I finished uni you could buy a 3 bed victorian terrace in London (Brixton) for about 45k, I got a fairly decent job and could quite easily afforded one. But no, I decided to rent :(. One of the worst financial mistakes of my life....

Living and working in London, "buy a house in 2009" would certainly be the advice I'd give to my younger self...

JRS

JRS

Soldato
My future self, on time-traveling back, would definitely tell earlier self to look into that whole time travel thing. Thus creating a stable loop :cool:

Oh, and also your little Fiat that you genuinely loved is going to contract a case of terminal tin rot that the garage who replaced your fuel tank hid after they screwed the work up. So dig a bit deeper there. Because none of the cars that you've daily-driven since will ever match up to the sheer unalloyed joy of driving that thing far too quickly.

Associate
What I'd tell myself:

I'm happily married, with kids. And surprisingly in a job I wasn't expecting, but really happy with. :D

And what my past self would think on hearing that?

SWEET... :)

Associate
I'd go back and tell my high school self to stop being a shy unt and bang those sixth former girls who were always giving me the eye. Even on a freezing cold day blatent as hell telling me to put my tool in to keep warm :O

Then suffering from **** rot no doubt but what fun way to go that would have been instead of the misery and torture i endure these days from the wife.

Back
Top Bottom