• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2080TI AND 9900K

Associate
Hi guys have a 9900k cpu at 5ghz and a GPU 2080ti strix OC runs at around 1950mhz when on games. I am playing games for instance the division 2 and on 1920x1080 ultra settings i'm getting like 84fps average and sometimes its dropping below 60. when i did a bench mark i'm getting like gpu 63 percent cpu 47i get that certain games do this but i'm seeing people with my exact setup get 140fps avg. can someone explain the best thing to do about this iv'e checked drivers all up to date iv'e checked windows again that's fine as well as bios, ive put my game from my HDD to the SSD again same thing iv'e checked my dp cable. iv'e uninstall and re installed the drivers. I really don't know where to turn the CPU is a week old and GPU i got yesterday please can someone help with this

Soldato
Have you been plotting cpu/gpu utilisation levels whilst playing division 2?

Before deciding on a course of action you need to determine what load each component is under.

For sure tho I would expect a 2080ti and 9900k combo to never dip below 60fps in that game at 1080p. So something is up.

How is ram configured in mhz and timings, please provide that info also. Also good ideai to keep the game on SSD, as there is a ton of i/o it creates.

Ram can be important as since moving my ram from 3000-14-14-14-31 (and untuned secondary/tertiary), to 3000-12-13-13-39 (and tuned secondary/tertiary), my cpu utilisation almost halved in the game.

Associate
OP

Before deciding on a course of action you need to determine what load each component is under.

For sure tho I would expect a 2080ti and 9900k combo to never dip below 60fps in that game at 1080p. So something is up.

How is ram configured in mhz and timings, please provide that info also. Also good ideai to keep the game on SSD, as there is a ton of i/o it creates.

Ram can be important as since moving my ram from 3000-14-14-14-31 (and untuned secondary/tertiary), to 3000-12-13-13-39 (and tuned secondary/tertiary), my cpu utilisation almost halved in the game.

thanks for the reply so in div 2 i get around 57 percent gpu and 43 percent cpu both on good temps but i have just noticed this? could this be my problem i am new to pc and bought this so i have no idea about ram timings please elaborate on that

https://gyazo.com/095b28a031f638bc98f37fdd160f6071 please see this

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
First of all having low cpu and gpu usage is normal with that setup.

There is no cpu, let me repeat, no cpu including a 5ghz 9900k that isn’t going to bottleneck a 2080ti at 1080p.

That’s why many people get even higher performance with this setup when they move to 1440p and get rid of the 1080p which I can highly recommend. I now recall I recommended this for someone on Reddit they had the same setup as you and also had framerate issues on D2, not the drops you are seeing but they couldn’t get above 90fps. I told them get 1440p monitor and boom they got 140fps

As for why the game is dropping, it’s hard to say and you need to test other games as well to see if they are also affected.

I’ve recently had the same issue playing AC Odyssey but that happens even at 4K with low gpu and cpu usage and the game drops under 60fps and I have 3200mhz cl14 ram and a ssd. I just put it down to the game engine since no other game has this issue for me

Soldato
My setup is I7 9700k @ stock speeds (3.6ghz)with 8gb of ram and a sapphire 390 Nitro 8gb all running at 1080p. All installed on a ssd with 3200mhz ram

Do you have dx12 enabled in the game? I saw better performance with this enabled before I upgraded from my I7 950 @ stock speeds (3ghz). I can run the benchmark in game and post it if you like?

CPU usage is running 30% and 40% with gpu usage sitting at 80% to 90%

Not too sure what the settings are on as it’s all default.

Forgot to add that my games capped at 60 in the game settings

Last edited:
Soldato
I’d probably be expecting a 144hz+ average in 1080p on the division 2 ultra settings with a 2080Ti.

I own one plus a 9900k too and see 99% 144hz+ in BFV at 1440p with ultra settings.

I’d just start with a few basics.

Use DDU and completely remove and re-install gpu driver.

Update bios (likely won’t be that but better to rule out).

What kind of PSU do you have? GPU plugged in seperate rails?

What kind of core speed + temperature is the card hitting under load?

Rest of the specs of the system will likely help too.

Associate
OP
I’d probably be expecting a 144hz+ average in 1080p on the division 2 ultra settings with a 2080Ti.

I own one plus a 9900k too and see 99% 144hz+ in BFV at 1440p with ultra settings.

Hi so I may know the issue, when doing the cpu test on 3D bench mark my cpu is very low 7k compared to most people with a 9900k getting 10-11k I figured I’d look further turns out my ram

My setup is I7 9700k @ stock speeds (3.6ghz)with 8gb of ram and a sapphire 390 Nitro 8gb all running at 1080p. All installed on a ssd with 3200mhz ram

Do you have dx12 enabled in the game? I saw better performance with this enabled before I upgraded from my I7 950 @ stock speeds (3ghz). I can run the benchmark in game and post it if you like?

CPU usage is running 30% and 40% with gpu usage sitting at 80% to 90%

Not too sure what the settings are on as it’s all default.

Forgot to add that my games capped at 60 in the game settings
Hi so I may know the issue, when doing the cpu test on 3D bench mark my cpu is very low 7k compared to most people with a 9900k getting 10-11k I figured I’d look further turns out my ram is in single stick and not dual channel it’s 2400mhz CL16 could this be the cause of the cpu not working to its potential and is my ram bottle
Necking me?

First of all having low cpu and gpu usage is normal with that setup.

There is no cpu, let me repeat, no cpu including a 5ghz 9900k that isn’t going to bottleneck a 2080ti at 1080p.

That’s why many people get even higher performance with this setup when they move to 1440p and get rid of the 1080p which I can highly recommend. I now recall I recommended this for someone on Reddit they had the same setup as you and also had framerate issues on D2, not the drops you are seeing but they couldn’t get above 90fps. I told them get 1440p monitor and boom they got 140fps

As for why the game is dropping, it’s hard to say and you need to test other games as well to see if they are also affected.

I’ve recently had the same issue playing AC Odyssey but that happens even at 4K with low gpu and cpu usage and the game drops under 60fps and I have 3200mhz cl14 ram and a ssd. I just put it down to the game engine since no other game has this issue for me
Hi so I may know the issue, when doing the cpu test on 3D bench mark my cpu is very low 7k compared to most people with a 9900k getting 10-11k I figured I’d look further turns out my ram is in single stick and not dual channel it’s 2400mhz CL16 could this be the cause of the cpu not working to its potential and is my ram bottle
Necking me?

Done all above. The PSU is EVGA 850w super nova platinum, GPU is getting to
1950-2000mhz oc setting on Asus. And it’s hitting 67-68 degrees

Soldato
Hi so I may know the issue, when doing the cpu test on 3D bench mark my cpu is very low 7k compared to most people with a 9900k getting 10-11k I figured I’d look further turns out my ram
How much ram do you have, is it 1 x 8gb or 1 x 16gb sticks? I currently have 2 x 4gb sticks with Xmp enabled

Soldato
Running benchmarks to diagnose a game isnt ideal as every 3d application will run in its own way and put different stress on different components.

The ram is a possibility, I would expect it to show itself as the issue in the form of higher cpu utiliation, but maybe I am wrong on that and fixing that issue could help.

How you built a system with a 9900k and 2080ti then ending up with single channel 2400mhz CL16 ram I dont know as thats out of whack.

Associate
OP
Running benchmarks to diagnose a game isnt ideal as every 3d application will run in its own way and put different stress on different components.

The ram is a possibility, I would expect it to show itself as the issue in the form of higher cpu utiliation, but maybe I am wrong on that and fixing that issue could help.

How you built a system with a 9900k and 2080ti then ending up with single channel 2400mhz CL16 ram I dont know as thats out of whack.

Long story but my motherboard got damaged and it won’t boot when it’s dual channel just loops tried everything and no luck so waiting till tomorrow when my new board arrives. Safe to say I’m jaunt pretty peed off atm feel like I’ve spent a lot of money to be in the same position I was with a 1080 and a 7700k... my new monitor came today 1440p but makes no difference every bench mark on 3D bench has far higher cpu scores than me.. and when people are doing bench tests on div 2 there getting 120-130fps average and I’m getting 75 with a gpu that won’t even go past 80 percent

How much ram do you have, is it 1 x 8gb or 1 x 16gb sticks? I currently have 2 x 4gb sticks with Xmp enabled
its 1 16gb but on user bench mark its giving me a very very low score

and if no way shape or form am i taking this out on you i really appreciate your help but this is the full 2nd day iv'e spent going round in circles and getting no further i'm just extremely agitated that iv'e spent so much money but yet ive come out worse off

Soldato
You need new RAM and a MoBo then

So we found the issue - using a single ram stick is bad, using 2400mhz cl16 is also bad especially at 1080p when you’re trying to beat cpu bottlenecks

Moving to a high res monitor will resolve some of the issue but how much I cannot day due to the memory issues. Ideally I’d fix the memory first - new mobo and dual channel 3200mhz ram

Associate
OP
your next logical step is dual channel the ram and preferably dont use crappy 2400mhz ram.

i was looking at cl16 3200mhz Trident.Skill Z rgb thinking about dropping to 16 tho as i don't use 32 ever would this be good enough for a 9900k and 2080ti

So we found the issue - using a single ram stick is bad, using 2400mhz cl16 is also bad especially at 1080p when you’re trying to beat cpu bottlenecks

Moving to a high res monitor will resolve some of the issue but how much I cannot day due to the memory issues. Ideally I’d fix the memory first - new mobo and dual channel 3200mhz ram

i was looking at cl16 3200mhz Trident.Skill Z rgb thinking about dropping to 16 tho as i don't use 32 ever would this be good enough for a 9900k and 2080ti

your next logical step is dual channel the ram and preferably dont use crappy 2400mhz ram.

Back
Top Bottom