Costs of owning an older 'supercar'

Soldato
Its worth mentioning the jacked up TT Housey drives has ridiculous markups because it is a halo car. Incidentally, stick a lambo badge on it and the prices are more reasonable :D

Or stick a TT badge on it and the dealers probably won't notice.

Soldato
How many people on this forum do you think can afford £20k-£25K per year cost of ownership? Not a willy wave, but I think most people who are not doing this have little idea.

Depreciation £12K a year
Services £1K a year
Tyres £1K per year
Warranty £1.2K
Fuel £2.5K
Insurance £1K
Stuff

Add in things going wrong and other consumables (pads, set up etc). We are talking a different league in costs to a fast M car or 911 for example.

The OP simply wishes to work it out. Not to be told, don't bother unless you can afford to buy the car twice over.

Depreciation is a cost you pay upfront unless you are financing. So ignore that.

I'm pretty sure the OP is aware of fuel, insurance, tyres.

What's of importance are the cost of consumables and then whether you can insure the large one off problems or if you need to budget money in every year to smooth those costs out.

edit:

It doesn't matter what car you are buying tbh, you should be working this all out. Not be governed by rules of thumb.

Man of Honour
The OP simply wishes to work it out. Not to be told, don't bother unless you can afford to buy the car twice over.

Depreciation is a cost you pay upfront unless you are financing. So ignore that.

I'm pretty sure the OP is aware of fuel, insurance, tyres.

What's of importance are the cost of consumables and then whether you can insure the large one off problems or if you need to budget money in every year to smooth those costs out.
Which is what I told him above. I assume you missed that. What do you drive?

Soldato
Which is what I told him above. I assume you missed that. What do you drive?[/QUOTE]

How is this pertinent? For the record the formula you might use for affordability isn't any different. The numbers you plug in are different depending on the vehicle.

Soldato
Personal experience is not pertinent to this discussion you don't think?

Someone who has personal experience and is willing to be helpful is very important.

Your last post was great. Your rule of thumb, not helpful at all.

If someone is serious about buying a car like that, they are doing quite detailed calculations (assuming they aren't wealthy enough not to have to worry about it).

Man of Honour
Of course, if you buy one and drive it 1000 miles a year like many do, it's a whole different proposition.

Mine seems to make a new noise each time I drive it out the garage.

@Tax Evader heard 2 new ones yesterday alone!

WTF is that on 2 occasions in 5 hours. :D

Soldato
How many people on this forum do you think can afford £20k-£25K per year cost of ownership? Not a willy wave, but I think most people who are not doing this have little idea.

Depreciation £12K a year
Services £1K a year
Tyres £1K per year
Warranty £1.2K
Fuel £2.5K
Insurance £1K
Stuff

Add in things going wrong and other consumables (pads, set up etc). We are talking a different league in costs to a fast M car or 911 for example.

Apart from depreciation, none of that stuff really looks dissimilar to a fast M car or 911. Lots of supercars will hold their value quite nicely too - a fast Audi will always have terrible depreciation.

Man of Honour
Apart from depreciation, none of that stuff really looks dissimilar to a fast M car or 911. Lots of supercars will hold their value quite nicely too - a fast Audi will always have terrible depreciation.

The running costs are one element, it's the other bits that cost and McLaren suffer worse depreciation and M cars from new to 12 months seem mad too.

Soldato
The running costs are one element, it's the other bits that cost and McLaren suffer worse depreciation and M cars from new to 12 months seem mad too.

Agreed, but with the thread being about older cars, there are lots of good options - 458, Gallardo, DBS, V12V will all be fairly solid depreciation-wise.

Even R8 V10s are down to about £40k - they can't have much further to fall!

OcUK Staff
Of course, if you buy one and drive it 1000 miles a year like many do, it's a whole different proposition.

Mine seems to make a new noise each time I drive it out the garage.

@Tax Evader heard 2 new ones yesterday alone!

WTF is that on 2 occasions in 5 hours. :D

Giving good advice here mate!

Older super car, might be depreciation free if you buy well, may even appreciate.
Running cost can be eye watering, but can also be surprisingly cheap too.
Totally depends on the marque and model.

Fingers crossed and hope stays as such 458 is costing little to run, just loves to drink fuel and whatever depreciation it may suffer, but it will be less than Lambo alternative and far less than Mclaren options. Plus I feel its the most fun to drive and to me that is what matters, even if it is not the fastest.

Man of Honour
Agreed, but with the thread being about older cars, there are lots of good options - 458, Gallardo, DBS, V12V will all be fairly solid depreciation-wise.

Even R8 V10s are down to about £40k - they can't have much further to fall!
Hope not but knowing my investment prowess they will be 2k next year.

458 pads and discs cost @Gibbo ?

Soldato
Extended warranties don't always cover everything and will only go up to a certain age.

E.g. Aston will go up to 15 years but only cover claims up to the value of the car. The cars depreciate but parts costs don't.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Isn't that what the warranty is for? I doubt I would get change out of 15k for a new box in mine but as I have warranty this isn't a concern.
Yup but many would not cover said box due to limitations. It’s a lot less on yours, 7k I seem to recall

Soldato
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom