Costs of owning an older 'supercar'

Soldato
Are excesses higher for windscreen damage on certain cars?

Genuine question this - I actually don't know.

They can be, but they will still be in the low hundreds.

Best way to find out would be to simply to get a quote. They naturally won't be higher than your normal excess.

I think part of the calculation needs to be what would happen to your insurance if you were to have a claim or two. Although if you do become uninsurable you can always sell the car (most people don't have claims every year anyway, hopefully better than most if you are looking to buy an R8 as well).

Last edited:
Sgarrista
Commissario
Are excesses higher for windscreen damage on certain cars?

Genuine question this - I actually don't know.

I picked up a chip last week, rang up insurance company who sent out someone to repair it right away completely free.

A replacement would have cost me £75 I was told if the chip cracked during repair. (replacement screen cost circa £2k)

Soldato
I picked up a chip last week, rang up insurance company who sent out someone to repair it right away completely free.

A replacement would have cost me £75 I was told if the chip cracked during repair. (replacement screen cost circa £2k)

It depends entirely on your insurer. It's only a relatively recent thing to start increasing windscreen excesses (even then they aren't stupidly high).

Also rather than it being driven by supercars, or high value cars, It's actually all the autonomous technology being build into windscreens that are causing it. Even your bog standard hatchback these days can have windscreen repair costs that are in the high hundreds to £1k.

Sgarrista
Commissario
It depends entirely on your insurer. It's only a relatively recent thing to start increasing windscreen excesses (even then they aren't stupidly high).

Also rather than it being driven by supercars, or high value cars, It's actually all the autonomous technology being build into windscreens that are causing it. Even your bog standard hatchback these days can have windscreen repair costs that are in the high hundreds to £1k.

Mines just a big sheet of glass, nothing fancy at all. Apart from a lambo badge. Which makes it worth 2k. Apparently.

Sgarrista
Commissario
I'd like to think it's engineered a bit higher.

Accurate picture:

IMG-20190505-190304.jpg

Soldato
Anyway, going back to the original question, I run a 2007 V8 Vantage, and have done for 3.5 years now.

I don’t drive much, and mainly use it for holiday trips, and the occasional weekend outing- I’ve done 10,000 miles in it.

I owned an e46 M3 for many years and the basic costs have been similar - tyres are about £800 a set, insurance £450 (in central London), silly tax, annual service bill of £600-700ish, brakes around £1k all in etc.

The one thing that has been expensive for me on the Vantage is that I had an engine oil leak from a timing change cover which set me back over £2k from a dealer (subframe needs dropping). Clutches are £3k from a dealer. Both items can be done for £1k and £1.5k respectively from independents if you shop around.

The cars are generally very reliable but you do get Aston tax on a few items - an example being leaky headlamp/tail lights which cost the best part of £1k to replace each.

Short of a new engine, nothing would really be too painful, but you have to go in with knowing that you might have to spend £3k+ on the odd job here and there. If you’re really on the limit spending £30k on a car with not a lot left over afterwards, then you probably wouldn’t sleep very easily at night.

I’ve lost around £2-3k in depreciation in the time I’ve owned the car which helps soften the blow.

ETA: they’re still really pretty too:

7B402759-EE48-4A9E-9B79-E6CBB6017305_zpspngbskrx.jpeg

311BED4C-9B18-4FB4-AC18-9B6611AC2792_zpsakhqdfel.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
Fwiw my 996 turbo cost me less over 4 years than the depreciation on my wife's focus st (and that was with me doing 10k a year). I took it from 67,000 to 107,000 and it was pretty reliable. I'm classing a 911 as a superstar here as I feel they are. I do think Porsche tend to be the cheaper end of the spectrum for running costs (annoying my m3 costs more to insure and tax).

Edit: lol at the windscreen pic:p made me chuckle quite a lot.

Man of Honour
How many people on this forum do you think can afford £20k-£25K per year cost of ownership? Not a willy wave, but I think most people who are not doing this have little idea.

Depreciation £12K a year
Services £1K a year
Tyres £1K per year
Warranty £1.2K
Fuel £2.5K
Insurance £1K
Stuff

Add in things going wrong and other consumables (pads, set up etc). We are talking a different league in costs to a fast M car or 911 for example.

It doesn't even have to be particularly special to bring big bills. I got rid of my passat R36 when I priced up the upcoming bills for the year based on maintenance etc and the answer had five figures, and the warranty was up and the renewal was crazy.

OcUK Staff
Hope not but knowing my investment prowess they will be 2k next year.

458 pads and discs cost @Gibbo ?

Book price for disc and pads all round fitted 22k

It was a major bartering piece on mine due ceramics higher than normal wear and I expected to have to replace them so I got a chunk of money off the car and an agreed price of 10k for disc and pads all round as goodwill should I ever need them.

So far all is well pass and disc showing no additional wear after 3000 miles.

OcUK Staff
True! Saying that when I was looking at the Boxster and some with ceramics were coming up I think I was quoted about 12k all round.

Not a bill you ever want to get!

My 911 needed new front ceramics Porsche wanted £5500 and finding used on eBay most were damaged.
I got lucky as an owner had a take off set which he sold me for £2500 and I still needed pads on top at around £500.

I could get surface transforms for Ferrari at around 6-8k for disc and around 1k for pads at which point the Ferrari offer is better as 10knis huge discount and original items.

Sgarrista
Commissario
True! Saying that when I was looking at the Boxster and some with ceramics were coming up I think I was quoted about 12k all round.

A raw ceramic disk for any car will come to around £1500-£2500. You then have to have the correctly fitting bells made which can be anywhere upto £500 each. Add onto that dealer and brand tax and boom.

Caporegime
A raw ceramic disk for any car will come to around £1500-£2500. You then have to have the correctly fitting bells made which can be anywhere upto £500 each. Add onto that dealer and brand tax and boom.

Yeah, true. They might have been an option I'd consider if i was intending to track it a lot, otherwise naaaah.
I do recall a boatload of the m4s I looked at had them as an option and were normally the cheaper ones...guessing the owners had been bitten or scared by the repair cost and wanted rid.

OcUK Staff
Yeah, true. They might have been an option I'd consider if i was intending to track it a lot, otherwise naaaah.
I do recall a boatload of the m4s I looked at had them as an option and were normally the cheaper ones...guessing the owners had been bitten or scared by the repair cost and wanted rid.

Steel is better for regular track use especially on older gen ceramics.

Back
Top Bottom