Stopping the new car 'itch'

Associate
I might be alone on this but as soon as I've had a car for about 2 years I immediately start thinking about getting something new, even when (as is the case now) there's nothing wrong with my current motor. I'll start watching carwow reviews or using the car building tools on the manufacturer sites. I'm not a supercar person or even a performance car person so it's usually quite boring cars that appeal (4 series BMW or new Mazda 3 for example!). I find that cleaning my car helps (makes it feel newer!) do other peeps have things they do to 'stop' them buying a new car?

Permabanned
Indeed! I think part of it is the rise of PCP deals so you're super happy with your car, then all of sudden everyone has something nice and new and the your pride and joy seems a bit, well past it :(
Seems very much like renting a property in the sense it’s dead money with nothing to show for it at the end.

I find myself wondering what it would be like owning a new, nicer car from time to time. Then I come back to my senses and ultimately come to the conclusion that the car I paid £2600 for over 6 years ago, has given me no issues and still does what I need it to do.

It seems cars today have become like smartphones.

Man of Honour
I think this is fairly normal, I'm always windows shopping for our next car within a year never mind two. Always keep cars for at least 3 years but I like to see what is out there.
Best way to stop buying a new car is probably leasing, this will let you switch cars every couple of years, although is only viable if you are very unfussy about what exact model you go for (i.e. you are prepared to jump on whatever roughly suitable deals come up at the time you need a new set of wheels) and can work out more expensive than buying.

Soldato
I've never been one for swapping cars often but I think part of that is me hating the process of buying a car! The cost factor is another massive thing to consider.

To be honest cars now seem so generic that unless you really up the cost something 2 years newer is probably going to be something like your current car with a more compromised engine (because emissions) and an extra 1.5" of 'infotainment'.

Soldato
Find a car that doesn't stop being fun. Get a classic like a Skyline or something :D

A lot of modern cars are worse than the ones which came before them. More toys but less car.

Soldato
A lot of modern cars are worse than the ones which came before them. More toys but less car.

I used to swap cars all the time but they don't really hold the same interest. Part of it is not wanting to waste money buying new cars and changing them frequent. As it's pretty much the quickest was you can lose money.

But mostly, as you say, it's because mechanically cars haven't really improved over the past decade in my opinion. The engines and power outputs are very similar. For example a Mk5 2004 golf GTi puts out 200bhp and a current one mk7 225bhp. Both are relatively similar 2.0 turbocharged engines. They both can have dsg boxes, both have discs all round and multi-link rear suspension.

Granted the new one is better but when you think that's 15 years worth of improvements beyond the infotainment system there's been very little change. Compare a 2004 Golf GTi to a 1989 MK2 model and you'd see far more noticeable improvements!

Soldato
1- 4 years used to be my max but now owned my current main car for nearly 7 years. Used to more sporty cars, this car I've owned the longest is a boring BMW X1 Xdrive diesel, something often described as a mummy Chelsea tractor wagon, or something along those lines :). Not quite sure why as I think many women would find the fairly heavy steering (still hydraulic) and poor turning circle fairly annoying around town. It's comfy, decent quality, reasonable efficient(albeit 4WD tho) and lots of storage space which has proven handy over the years. Only real issue I've had with it over 50k miles and nearly 7 years is a dodgy battery, not helped by driving short trips each day for a year or so. Battery never failed either just failed to charge over a certain level meaning the stop/start never actually worked anymore.

Been tempted to buy something else sporty again recently but struggling to find something I really want. Bought BMW's in the past and I like the M2 (even if it's a heavy barge) but gone off the brand a bit - not helped by trying to get the dealer to check a possible issues with the brakes a while ago and their first response was "£120 an hour to investigate". I remember the days when investigating safety related issues was done for free by them. Luckily the problem was winter related and it sorted itself out before the dealers bent me over.
So, practicaltiy, having a car that's a good all rounder and fairly cheap to run has reduced my itch for buying other cars. Maybe also a bit of an age thing too. Not old but focused on maybe taking a really early retirement than blowing too much on cars :). Maybe I've become more grown up than I think too :p.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom