Anyone own a DJI?

Associate
Was thinking of getting one just to take some photos, maybe look into getting commercial photography for web design or something, like real estate photography. That's only a possible use in the future.

Mostly just to play around with. I live near the lakes and always get nice pics out there.

I'm getting offered £450 for a Mavic Pro (Original) and I know that I could probably get the Spark for a fair bit less at £250.

Has anyone upgraded to either? What would you suggest I buy?

Do you think the Mavic Pro will lose a lot of value in the upcoming years? It will be my first drone and looking at the camera comparison across the Pro 2 I don't see a huge difference (I know the 2 is obviously better) but getting a Pro for a 1/3rd of the price is a deal.

Associate
I own the original Mavic pro - stunning bit of kit, as a first drone you can't go wrong with it. Definately get the Mavic over the Spark, if only for the range and extra flight time. The camera on the Mavic is fine but you might need to tweak the photos in photoshop or something.

Edit: Also, if that's 450 quid new, bite their hand off.

Associate
OP
I own the original Mavic pro - stunning bit of kit, as a first drone you can't go wrong with it. Definately get the Mavic over the Spark, if only for the range and extra flight time. The camera on the Mavic is fine but you might need to tweak the photos in photoshop or something.

Edit: Also, if that's 450 quid new, bite their hand off.

Aha its not 450 new, I wish!

I whittled it down to £425 with 4 batteries, charging hub, stealth props, flight case, extended feet and travel bag, and controller of course! So yeah I think it was a solid deal.
Best part about it was, as the seller ran a business, I could pay on credit card and get a proper invoice!

Have you got any use of it commercially?

Have you tried the FPV DJI Goggles?

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Pro tip from a colleague who has a DJI, you want to look at hacking it to enable FCC (US) radio frequency mode rather than using CE (European) mode. FCC allows for higher output power = being able to fly longer distances. His drone went from a max distance of about 2 miles to 4.5 miles with FCC.

This technically breaches what you're allowed to use for radio frequencies, but who cares :p.

Associate
I've got a Mavic Pro (2 1/2 years old now), its amazing for the money. We have used it to get so many videos/photos of our family, landmarks, scenic vistas & even used it in loads of other countries. All of these shots would be impossible with a normal camera.

For the price you've been offered, its a no brainer

Associate
OP
I have an Inspire, and a commercial license.

Where did you get your commercial license from, is it PfCO?

Where did you get your insurance from? I was thinking of getting Photoguard incl 1m public liability, but its only £50 which is suspiciously cheap (I would guess its not for commercial but why else would you have public liability)

Associate
OP
Pro tip from a colleague who has a DJI, you want to look at hacking it to enable FCC (US) radio frequency mode rather than using CE (European) mode. FCC allows for higher output power = being able to fly longer distances. His drone went from a max distance of about 2 miles to 4.5 miles with FCC.

This technically breaches what you're allowed to use for radio frequencies, but who cares :p.

Did his battery drain just as much though? I heard this is only for Sparks as the Mavic Pro is already like 4.4 miles

Soldato
There's a big multirotor thread here FYI: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...uadcopter-discussion-thread.18363033/page-541

I've been a commercially licensed pilot for the last 5 years, originally owned a DJI S1000 (only sold the frame the other month) and we've owned pretty much every DJI product to date. Currently using the Inspire 2 mostly with an X5S. My two colleagues are also licensed so they tend to do most of the flying nowadays but I've flown all over the world before now. We use a broker for all our varying insurances but I believe we're with Droneguard for the multirotor element.

Associate
OP
You’d be surprised just how many people care about spectrum abuse.

Yeah I don't intend on abusing the spectrum, besides you can't use DJI Goggles doing that.

Have you tried the Goggles Racing Edition? I can get the RE for 315 and the standard goggles for 215... is it worth the 100. it looks absolutely gorgeous. I might just buy based on looks alone.

Soldato

He's the reason regulations are becoming so tight.

Your actually not meant to fly beyond 500m or visual line of sight which he clearly is doing. DJI goggles are a rip off for what you get, better off getting some normal 3d ones (with hdmi input) and using the litchi app instead.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom