Which 1TB m.2 drive?

Associate
I currently have a 256gb Samsung Evo M.2 drive and looking to upgrade this.

Ive toyed with the idea of getting a 2nd standard drive or SATA SSD, but I want a clean fresh m.2

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations? Primary use is gaming with a small amount of office work.

Adam

Soldato
I would say a Samsung if you're not bothered about price.

WD and Crucial are decent brands as well but I got the Intel 600p just before Xmas (500Gb one) and it's not missed a beat

Permabanned
Soldato
NVME.... Blerrrrr, get the drive listed here, in the real world SSD v NVME is next to nothing.
i have an NVME i wish i saved the cash and just got an m.2 sata ssd

This will change over time for AAA titles, since the PS5/New Xbox will use an SSD that's been reported to be much faster than any currently available SSD.

Developers will bother to change the way games load/play due the the hundreds of millions strong console playerbase, all using the same fast SSD.

Soldato
This will change over time for AAA titles, since the PS5/New Xbox will use an SSD that's been reported to be much faster than any currently available SSD.

Developers will bother to change the way games load/play due the the hundreds of millions strong console playerbase, all using the same fast SSD.

It's been reported its much faster than the standard HDD of the playstation which has a mechanical drive.

Where does it say its faster than any currently available SSD?

Show me and I will agree.

Permabanned
who as reported this? and wear? please show me the info.

i agree they will use SSD's as the cost as dropped a lot, but the only thing faster is an NVME drive or some sort of a raid 0 setup. This will not happen.
Raid is too unstable and the cost of NVME is about triple the cost of a standard SSD, the gain is a few thousandth of a second in load time....
you have to remember consoles are for the masses let say the new consoles with a 1tb SSD is £500 you can make that £650/700 with an nvme drive it just will not happen.

he cant provide anything, unless we are getting SATA4 they cant get faster we have maxed out the bandwith of Sata3 thats why we moved over the pcie

EDIT: they may even use some sort of a cache system. as games get bigger and consoles are going all digital a 4tb drive with a 250gb cache sound's probable

Soldato

Show me and I will agree.

who as reported this? and wear? please show me the info.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ps5+ssd

Almost all of the results describe a SSD faster than any PC SSD available today, it's been all over the news as of a few weeks ago.

Very good news for PC progress, as it's silly that SATA SSD's load games as faster as NVMe drives, next gen consoles will change that :)

Permabanned
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ps5+ssd
Almost all of the results describe a SSD faster than any PC SSD available today, it's been all over the news as of a few weeks ago.
Very good news for PC progress, as it's silly that SATA SSD's load games as faster as NVMe drives, next gen consoles will change that :)

i am strugging to find the specs from sony, please provide a link, all i see it..

"Technical details about Sony’s next-gen PS5 console have been dribbling out for a while."
"The Wired piece says Sony hasn’t given any technical details about the SSD itself"
"it’s using the PCIe 4.0 interface, but does say that “it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs"

Given that the next generation of AMD Ryzen 3000 CPUs, and the upcoming Navi GPUs, are expected to both be operating on the PCIe 4.0 interface those claims of Sony’s PS5 SSD offering greater raw bandwidth than anything on the PC at the moment make sense. Realistically that’s likely only to be a claim it can make until AMD does launch the new CPUs and accompanying X570 motherboards with their PCIe 4.0 support.

I really would like to see the numbers you have seen, that would be super.
The one thing that did just out at me was there thinking of useing an Optane M.2 NVME over pcie4
this would give very good speeds for the data loaded to the Optane drive but all other data would be on a spinning disk

Back
Top Bottom