What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
End Game - I'm a huge fan of the franchise (although hated antman/wasp with a passion) but found myself underwhelmed 6/10, tops.

I don't want to give away spoilers so won't elaborate on plot - but it just didn't click for for me. Yes, as a story it ticked all the boxes but the inter character development didn't quite gel for me (Paul Rudd :/) and the 'character form/humour' really didn't work for me at all - plain odd and awkward in parts (that's what i watch Deadpool or Guardians for - great films). I get it, complicated, intertwined 'stories' (trying not to add spoilers') - but it all felt too predictable once certain paths were set... Plus, they could have done without a scene in Infinity War which telegraphed too much (may have got lucky/unlucky with my hunch) - i get that they want you speculating but you don't have to be led by the hand. :/

*I do seem to be flowing against popular opinion (especially my wife and kids who looked at me in disbelief when i said "well, that sucked" as the credits rolled) so don't be out off by my very subjective opinion if you haven't watched it yet. I am in the minority and can see why others would enjoy it. Perhaps, i'll enjoy it when released to rent - it's happened before.

Hoping John Wick 3 (a guilty pleasure) doesn't disappoint - that poor dog requires more vengeance!

Caporegime
Long Shot - I was hoping it would be good, having seen positive reviews, but after the first 10-15 minutes, I wasn't optimistic.

However, it's really funny. One of the best actual comedies I've seen for a good while at the cinema in fact.

Brave of them to launch a week after End Game, but it deserves to be seen. Charlize is smokin' hot as well. I think she actually looks better with age.

8/10

Associate
Wandering Earth (Netflix) - dubbed Chinese Sci-fi.

Interesting (if silly) idea. Suns gonna go nova so lets build a load of engines on Earth and set off to Alpha Centauri (bit Space 1999 kind of thing I suppose).
2500 year journey but they manage to mess it up 17 years in.

Over the top CGI and decent enough cast. Story was just missing something though. Would much rather see what happens when they got to Alpha Centauri!

6/10.

Caporegime
End Game - I'm a huge fan of the franchise (although hated antman/wasp with a passion) but found myself underwhelmed 6/10, tops.

I don't want to give away spoilers so won't elaborate on plot - but it just didn't click for for me. Yes, as a story it ticked all the boxes but the inter character development didn't quite gel for me (Paul Rudd :/) and the 'character form/humour' really didn't work for me at all - plain odd and awkward in parts (that's what i watch Deadpool or Guardians for - great films). I get it, complicated, intertwined 'stories' (trying not to add spoilers') - but it all felt too predictable once certain paths were set... Plus, they could have done without a scene in Infinity War which telegraphed too much (may have got lucky/unlucky with my hunch) - i get that they want you speculating but you don't have to be led by the hand. :/

*I do seem to be flowing against popular opinion (especially my wife and kids who looked at me in disbelief when i said "well, that sucked" as the credits rolled) so don't be out off by my very subjective opinion if you haven't watched it yet. I am in the minority and can see why others would enjoy it. Perhaps, i'll enjoy it when released to rent - it's happened before.

Hoping John Wick 3 (a guilty pleasure) doesn't disappoint - that poor dog requires more vengeance!

It's marmite, 10/10 or 6/10, but I'm with you on the 6.

Soldato
The ToyBox - Decent enough for a late night, beer fuelled film sesh, but otherwise very "meh". Side note - The propensity to end on a negative note, in which the antagonist wins hands-down (something that I've noticed is common place in B-movie horror flicks), annoys me. It isn't "edgy", it's just annoying. 5/10

Soldato
Resident Evil Apocalypse

The Resi film came up in another thread recently and I'd only ever seen the first (thought it was decent enough), so I decided to watch them all.

The first isn't on Netflix or Prime, so started with the 2nd one.

First half was terrible. Maybe I missed it, but had no idea what prompted Alice to arrive in the church, and in such manner. Weird. And terrible visual style on the action sequences.

2nd half was better.

Didn't like Alice being given super powers: much better to just be a straight up badass.

Hope the others are better
Extinction tonight.

Much better than the last one. Not exactly great, but a step up if only in cinematography and editing (was so bad in the 2nd film).

Caporegime
Long Shot - I was hoping it would be good, having seen positive reviews, but after the first 10-15 minutes, I wasn't optimistic.

However, it's really funny. One of the best actual comedies I've seen for a good while at the cinema in fact.

Brave of them to launch a week after End Game, but it deserves to be seen. Charlize is smokin' hot as well. I think she actually looks better with age.

8/10

She’s like a vampire, I remember her in the Devil’s Advocate and Sweet November, she still looks the same!

Soldato
Sat Night: Journey To The Centre Of The Earth - 5/10. The 1959 original with James Mason and Pat Boone (who?). Not aged well, very stodgy dialogue and while the effects and backdrops probably state of the art at the time, the actually quite good Blu-ray transfer really shows them up vs. today's standards.

Sun Night: Speed - 8/10. Classic 90's action movie, beer and brain in neutral fodder but still very watchable. No sag in the middle or reliance on comic book characters - an original (and outrageous) premise which doesn't let up. The final scenes with the extra battle on the subway train probably a bit superfluous and again watching upscaled on a 4K TV pretty obvious the bus isn't doing anywhere near 50 MPH in many of the scenes but the sort of movie they don't really make anymore.

Soldato
This is the End - Seth Rogan and all play themselves during the Apocalypse. I hadn't seen this for ages, saw it on Netflix and really enjoyed it! 4/5

Associate
Came across "Murder party" on Netflix last night. Dark comedy/horror?

Terrible.

Very low budget and it shows, story wise a man finds an invitation along the street to a Halloween party. When he gets there.... Well...its a murder party

Very poor film

Soldato
A Quiet Place - 3/10
Utterly trash. great premise and potential but just let down by being crap and ill thought out. imagine them, that little family struggling to survive stumbling upon the discovery that creatures with extraordinarily good hearing don't like having loud noises blasted at them. back pats all round.

Ready Player One - 5/10 (6 at a push cause it sort of looked cool, occasionally)
dear God someone should have proofed the script better before filming begun. as someone ages ago mentioned in this thread, in one instance they have the supercool omni-directional treadmills unless of course the narrative doesn't fit (how do you run around in the game world without one?) then it's not needed. then you got folk walking about with their VR headsets on and seemingly managing not to bump into each other, fall over, get robbed, hit by a car/train/bike. bit of fun for a couple of hours but zero re-watchability. the lead baddy is stupidly overplayed but that actually lends to him being more 'fun' he's like an old school baddy from a 60's Batman Tv Show......camp, OTT, daft as a brush.

A Star is Born - 6/10 (and that's only because of the music)
Not sure why all the love for this. for me it didn't delve deep enough into the problems/demons BC's character was battling against. i got the impression the film just seemed to think the viewers would 'know the score'. meh overall for me but as i said the music was great and that from someone who's not really a Gaga fan.

Associate
Mortal Engines , looks good but like Velerian thats about it 5/10
Ready Player One , same again looks good but enjoyed it more than the other 2 , 6/10

Soldato
In Bruges, probably my 3rd time of watching since release (2008) - excellent casting (and i even include Colin Farrell within that) a must watch if you've never seen it.

A black comedy that works on all levels - for me anyway. I love the contrasting journeys the characters take, their subtle and not so subtle interactions and the story that develops as a result. It's dubbed a gangster movie - but it's so much more. I won't elaborate anymore as it's great script/direction and made more enjoyable if you go in blind. 8/10

Back
Top Bottom