Time to use Linux for gaming ?

Associate
Been a long time since it has been brought up, so I am wondering just how many people here are using Linux now for Steam and if you find it to be a better choice than Windows?

Also what kind of problems do you experience if any in getting things up and running for your graphic cards?

TY

Soldato
I would love to but even Indi titles are now dropped support for Linux.

So many games on my Steam list but non of the major titles support Linux makes it a difficult choice for playing games even in 2019.

Soldato
I would love to but even Indi titles are now dropped support for Linux.

So many games on my Steam list but non of the major titles support Linux makes it a difficult choice for playing games even in 2019.

What are you talking about? When was the last time you used linux for gaming? Proton on steam mixed with lutris/wine has made a huge amount of games playable on linux.

Been a long time since it has been brought up, so I am wondering just how many people here are using Linux now for Steam and if you find it to be a better choice than Windows?

Also what kind of problems do you experience if any in getting things up and running for your graphic cards?

TY

I have a antergos plasma kde and a copy of windows dual booting on my main system, i typically install my games in linux first and if they work then they stay there and i don't bother with windows my main reason for that is down to the desktop experience being somehow leagues ahead of windows particularly when it comes to smoothness and speed, mix that in with the package manager, lack of windows defender, no forced updates and the ability to do what you want makes windows feel like a fat old dinosaur.

As for your GPU question, i believe this is quite different on Nvidia/AMD. For NVIDIA you have to do a little bit of work initially to get things running smooth but it really is a few minutes once you have done it a couple of times. AMD however i believe have a native driver for linux and everything is considerably easier to set up.

Soldato
Yeah there's tonnes available on steam and I do light gaming on my laptop in Linux.

Plenty of big titles playable now. I can only see it getting better. I like having an OS that doesn't nag me constantly now and that doesn't just do whatever it wants.

Associate
OP
TY, will do more research in to this and will look in to installing a Linux package on a USB to test out, so any ideas as to which one for a novice?

Soldato
Mint is a good starter, it's what I run as I just wanted a simple, well supported distro that looks and behaves a lot like Windows. I find myself booting into Windows less and less these days - last night I picked up A Hat in Time and Factorio to play, the first installed through Proton and is generally absolutely fine (there is the occasional texture glitch but the game itself runs great) and the second is native and also runs well.

It also stops me putting money down for these horrid "triple-A" titles with their gambling and pay2win mechanics as they generally don't run in Proton thanks to unnecessary launchers and DRM. It's no loss though.

Man of Honour
It also stops me putting money down for these horrid "triple-A" titles with their gambling and pay2win mechanics as they generally don't run in Proton thanks to unnecessary launchers and DRM. It's no loss though.

DRM unfortunately is one of the bigger barriers to getting games to run in Linux - combined with a lot more games, even single player, requiring online functionality to play and unlock the full experience so you can't simply run a "cracked" exe to avoid the DRM issue.

Associate
Soldato
I dual boot with Ubuntu on my main PC, with Solus on my old PC and my laptop uses Solus exclusively. Linux gaming has really come a long way and Valve along with the community are doing sterling work to make it happen.

Back
Top Bottom