'ing Charity Bags

Soldato
So all this crap about banning plastic bags at the shops to stop plastic pollution etc - why is there no legislation against charities putting the goddamn things through your letterbox? i've just had one put through, so even bank holidays are no refuge. i get literally four week at least - how much ***** do charities think we have going spare in the average household?? A large part of the problem is that 98% of these things don't appear to be "legit" charities; there's a lot that rip of the proper ones, copying the style and wording for things like Help For Heroes, and if you look at the small print it says something along the lines of what you're actually contributing to is them paying £10 per ton of collected clothes to the charity.
i usually use these in the bin instead of buying liners, but i get so many i still have a box full. Shouldn't the gov't be cracking down on these, if they're so concerned about plastic pollution?

Soldato
OP
was wondering about the worth of a sign like that, kinda just assumed they'd ignore it anyway. might be worth a try if you say some people actually pay attention to it.

Caporegime
plenty of them aren't even from genuine charities but rather profit making companies that have some arrangement with a "charity" and pay them a split of the profits to use their name... check the small print and/or donate to a charity shop instead

Soldato
Soldato
Junk mail makes great bin bottoms to soak up any loose liquid.
The bags make great bin liners (they are thicker than most bin liners)

Permabanned
I have a sign on my letterbox saying not to post them, but they post them anyway.
The wording is something about recycling, but don't they realize the best way they could improve recycling is to not produce their plastic bags in the first place? ..

Soldato
helped my ex do this decades ago for a couple of weeks ,basically you drop a lot of charity bags at a lot of houses ,then collect a certain amount of filled bags ,take them in and get a set amount per bag
as you can imagine some skanky collectors may have gone through the bags before taking them in
not sure if its like that now

We use them for emptying the cat's litter tray.

You could maybe do the same and then leave them out for them to collect, they might get the hint then :p

As above, they are free bags and are miles more robust than the bin bags you buy. they can put as many as they want through my letterbox :D

So it's pooing out of the letterbox instead of pooing in the letterbox :p

Soldato
was wondering about the worth of a sign like that, kinda just assumed they'd ignore it anyway. might be worth a try if you say some people actually pay attention to it.
For what it’s worth: me and my mum used to do drops and collection for Christian Aid. If there was one of those signs we were instructed to not knock or post in doors that had any sign indicating they’re not interested. Anecdotal and only one charity but I think some at least to abide by the residents wishes.

Man of Honour
The ones around here leave a collection date on them an ask you to leave the bag even if empty - though they don't seem to bother collecting them half the time and/or only bother with the houses that leave stuff regularly.

Soldato
So all this crap about banning plastic bags at the shops to stop plastic pollution etc - why is there no legislation against charities putting the goddamn things through your letterbox? i've just had one put through, so even bank holidays are no refuge. i get literally four week at least - how much ***** do charities think we have going spare in the average household?? A large part of the problem is that 98% of these things don't appear to be "legit" charities; there's a lot that rip of the proper ones, copying the style and wording for things like Help For Heroes, and if you look at the small print it says something along the lines of what you're actually contributing to is them paying £10 per ton of collected clothes to the charity.
i usually use these in the bin instead of buying liners, but i get so many i still have a box full. Shouldn't the gov't be cracking down on these, if they're so concerned about plastic pollution?

See that's the issue for me. I don't mind the genuine charity ones, they still don't get owt as all my unwanted but reusable items go to the small charity my mum volunteers for (having 2 kids, 2 & under, lots of clothes mainly).

Unfortunately they work in the grey-area of the law. Because it's there on the packaging, in the tiniest possible print, it's legal.

Soldato
Yep the dodgy ones are just companies that pay a small percent to the charity, with no proof that they have actually donated what they say, and your donated goods end up as scrap abroad. If you really want to donate your used goods to charity then take them to a real charity shop, where they will both benefit the charity and the people who will buy them who maybe can't afford new stuff.

Back
Top Bottom