City of Heroes

Soldato
I got the server working now with virtual machine and my other computers in my network can connect to the server but outside connections cannot.

I have been trying hamachi but I don't know how to set up the virtual machine network to somehow be connected to my hamachi network so I can use hamachi IP.

Man of Honour
One thing I don't like much with the later content the progression through the game is far more fragmented now and easy to miss some of the better content as you level up plus levelling up so rapidly now though somewhat offset by the improved team level adjusting stuff. Wish they'd made some changes to Perez once they introduced The Hollows as well as it gets sidelined mostly now but I miss some of the gameplay in that zone.

Soldato
OP
One thing I don't like much with the later content the progression through the game is far more fragmented now and easy to miss some of the better content as you level up plus levelling up so rapidly now though somewhat offset by the improved team level adjusting stuff. Wish they'd made some changes to Perez once they introduced The Hollows as well as it gets sidelined mostly now but I miss some of the gameplay in that zone.
You can always disable earning XP in the options if you want to do story stuff :)

I've moved to Excelsior as my old SG are reforming on there by the looks of it.

Soldato
OP
Nah I still want to earn XP I just preferred the pace of the game before they added certain content.
What hasn't helped on the new servers is that they have boosted XP for a while so out-levelling content is just going to happen anyway.

I've settled on Torchbearer and Excelsior for now.

Caporegime
What hasn't helped on the new servers is that they have boosted XP for a while so out-levelling content is just going to happen anyway.

I've settled on Torchbearer and Excelsior for now.
So get some debt? Slows down your levelling. I remember I had a Rad/Kin controller, Qinetiq who, it felt anyway, was in a permanent XP debt state from about level 30 right through to mid 40’s at least. Because of her powers she had to get into a mob to debuff them and buff the scrappers and tanks. This usually meant getting hit with AoE and any bad guys that weren’t target locked onto a tank. I died. A lot.

Soldato
OP
So get some debt? Slows down your levelling. I remember I had a Rad/Kin controller, Qinetiq who, it felt anyway, was in a permanent XP debt state from about level 30 right through to mid 40’s at least. Because of her powers she had to get into a mob to debuff them and buff the scrappers and tanks. This usually meant getting hit with AoE and any bad guys that weren’t target locked onto a tank. I died. A lot.
Talking about dying, Super Reflexes seems a lot better than what I remember. I'm not getting hit a lot at all - they must have buffed it because I'm sure I was one-shotted a lot by bosses back in the day and cursed not taking Regen.

Soldato
Finally gave up and signed up!

Chained Flame
h8oSCv5.jpg

Fire/Kinetic controller, 1 of my favourite combos back in the day. Can't wait for those fire monkeys.

Soldato
I'm so god damn happy, so much more customization then I remember.

Yl6Ykrv.jpg

Got a idea for another Mastermind, "The Gentlemen Thug", will have a go later on.

Man of Honour
I'm so god damn happy, so much more customization then I remember.

Can't remember exact details but frustratingly there was a big patch just before the game was shutdown with a load of new customization stuff and updated graphics and another big graphics update (which is on the Homecoming servers) that missed being released by a week.

Associate
I'm loving it. Forgot how much fun a warshade can be. Just got to level 38, so got my hands on eclipse. Now getting my recharge sets, got 2 luck of the gamblers to help with that. Lots of fun and only seen the odd 'I played since 2004 so everyone listen to me' type player. Glad there's an ignore.
I'm on torchbearer, but a defiant group have set up on Indom server. Not switched anyone over yet, don't want to lose my names

Man of Honour
LOL they've opened donations for Homecoming - bit risky legally IMO even with a non-profit but still with the server costs they are probably a bit limited on options without a "sugar daddy" - in the time (5-10 minutes) it took me to run one mission they had $4753.77 donated.

Associate
LOL they've opened donations for Homecoming - bit risky legally IMO even with a non-profit but still with the server costs they are probably a bit limited on options without a "sugar daddy" - in the time (5-10 minutes) it took me to run one mission they had $4753.77 donated.
Just been reading this morning.
Hmmmm, I don't know who to believe. Got discord channels saying the costs are ridiculously over-inflated, that Homecoming is not releasing code to aid others and are trying to control all, which I can kind of see happening.
On the other hand, this 4chan (who I'd never heard of until i joined discord) sound a bit dodgy, and offering up full un-moderated servers etc is not something I'd fancy jumping over to.
Seems to be too many factions and drama. I just want to play the game

Man of Honour
Just been reading this morning.
Hmmmm, I don't know who to believe. Got discord channels saying the costs are ridiculously over-inflated, that Homecoming is not releasing code to aid others and are trying to control all, which I can kind of see happening.
On the other hand, this 4chan (who I'd never heard of until i joined discord) sound a bit dodgy, and offering up full un-moderated servers etc is not something I'd fancy jumping over to.
Seems to be too many factions and drama. I just want to play the game

Been a lot of fallout between the original Score people, Reddit, 4Chan and another group that I'm not sure the background of - there was a big division around 3 days in after an attempt to work together (LOL). Whole thing is a bit childish really :(

I don't see the costs as being that outlandish - for a high player count you are fighting with an antiquated architecture that takes some brute forcing hardware wise to overcome and while they've made some changes so as to be able to suspend inactive map nodes it can only go so far and for best performance you need a lot of map servers fully spun up and they take a lot of RAM (a moderately active instance will eat 20+GB of RAM).

The hosting costs aren't the cheapest but a lot of the cheaper server hosts are more suited to bulk web site hosting than game servers and a little extra money can make a huge difference to game hosting performance.

EDIT: Just seen the screenshots for Homecoming - for ~1700 players they are using near 200GB of RAM in total over 5 map servers (actually more than that but the screenshot doesn't show the rest - there are 15 launchers in total).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm absolutely loving this still - it's aged very well and I've had some absolutely insane runs with some very unusual team combos! :D

Level 28 at the moment.

Man of Honour
Did Lusca last night in a completely random team - was fun. I did record it but being tired from work I wasn't playing at my best hah.

Game has held up perfectly IMO - some places the graphics could do with a bit of work but mostly I don't notice and the gameplay beats a lot of newer games to a pulp - though some of the mission/story stuff could do with being updated a bit to be more appealing for solo stuff but on a team that doesn't matter.

Man of Honour
Sadly never got back into this proper - between moving house and doing up the new place, work and then getting into other games when I had a bit of spare time lately I've never seemed to have the time and mood aligning to play it.

Setup the server package on a spare laptop today though so always got my own private server to fall back on if I want to even if it isn't the same playing alone and/or with 1-2 other people in my household who used to play if I can talk them into it.

Man of Honour
Took some time, but finally got all my boys back!

Been playing with a mastermind and pets on my own server - doesn't replicate the experience of playing with other players but lets me enjoy a lot of what I liked about the gameplay (I always liked to play as an emp defender) without feeling quite so alone heh.

Shame that kind of setup can't really deal with AVs until you are at much higher levels - at lower levels as elite bosses they are far too easy, as AVs far too hard.

Need to talk some of the people I live with into playing but sadly they seem far too busy with work these days.

Back
Top Bottom