Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
I'm feeling that having this season as only 6 episodes, even though they are a bit longer, has been a real mistake. I think they would have had more scope to flesh things out if they had opted for a 10 episode or 12 episode finale season

Soldato
Not sure if people who don’t like it are nitpickers/ pedantic pete’s or am i just easily pleased. I really enjoyed that ep.
Everyone has different entertainment thresholds, as a glance at any movie theatre or TV schedule will show. I envy those with a lower threshold than mine, because they get a lot more fun out of life! But a really good drama -- as GoT can be at times -- is a wonderful, wonderful thing... a roast dinner amid an endless menu of Maccy D's and KFC engineered by food technologists to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

There's nothing wrong with burgers, milkshakes, and other flavour shortcuts, but I don't want them dumped on my roast dinner because D&D think it'll hide the fact the gravy holding the meal together has been tasteless since the last chef left.

Or something like that. I'm off to be sick now... someone put strawberry milkshake all over my roast lamb last night. Still, that's an improvement on last week, when I suspect the waiter may have peed in my soup. And my main course. And the desert tasted worryingly salty.

Last edited:

v0n

v0n

Soldato
I'm feeling that having this season as only 6 episodes, even though they are a bit longer, has been a real mistake. I think they would have had more scope to flesh things out if they had opted for a 10 episode or 12 episode finale season

Obviously the story deserved the last two seasons to be full length 10 episode orders, but D&D wanted to cash in (they were offered Star Wars trilogy in pipeline), so they negotiated HBO to fork out 10 episode budget (approx $100 mil) for 7 hours last year, and another 100 mil for 7 hours runtime squeezed into 6 episodes this year. Hey - the writing may be patchy, we may not get the resolution to the story we deserve, but as long as everyone is paid, etc, etc...

Associate
I'm glad I decided not to wait for the series to have finished for binge watching, I'd have ended up throwing **** at the screen. It's quite funny watching it go full Kevin J Anderson.

Brienne crying was lol.

Soldato
Do you guys not think they are possibly leaving material for spin offs?

Why give it all away now when there is money to still be made?

Just seems they have decided to do spin offs and then we get **** all detail in the story lines like we are used too, nothing is padded out and all feels rushed.

"If you want to know what the NK was upto, watch our nice new series"

That's exactly my feeling. That they're intentionally creating plot holes and leaving out back story (for example the Night King)as they're planning a spin-off series.

It's a shame as that's why so many great TV programmes go downhill and become shadows of what they once were. Market forces tend to dictate that if you have a hit TV franchise you keep milking the cash cow until it withers away and dies rather than going out whilst it's at it's peak!

Caporegime

I think you're probably right, but remember that having this season at all was extra, the whole thing was supposed to be 7 seasons but they managed to negotiate for another season albeit a slightly shorter one.

Associate
I think its a case of expectation. We have waited 18 months for this season and there has been loads of theories, rumours, etc. I feel like its got to the point where for some people it can't live up to the high standards it has been set. I'm just enjoying the culmination of it as I will be sad when it is gone.

Man of Honour
I think its a case of expectation. We have waited 18 months for this season and there has been loads of theories, rumours, etc. I feel like its got to the point where for some people it can't live up to the high standards it has been set. I'm just enjoying the culmination of it as I will be sad when it is gone.

Probably a little of both, but the giant plot holes and rushed story doesn’t help.

Caporegime
Well, it has officially lost its way.

What a disappointment. :(

Anyone defending the scene where the dragon dies needs their head examining. Just **** poor writing to try and even the odds of the final battle. That was so badly done, i felt like they have contempt for their audience and think they are stupid.

Don't get me started on Jamie as well..

Is this final season written by different people or something?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Everyone has different entertainment thresholds, as a glance at any movie theatre or TV schedule will show. I envy those with a lower threshold than mine, because they get a lot more fun out of life! But a really good drama -- as GoT can be at times -- is a wonderful, wonderful thing... a roast dinner amid an endless menu of Maccy D's and KFC engineered by food technologists to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

There's nothing wrong with burgers, milkshakes, and other flavour shortcuts, but I don't them dumped on my roast dinner because D&D think it'll hide the fact the gravy holding the meal together has been tasteless since the last chef left.

Or something like that. I'm off to be sick now... someone put strawberry milkshake all over my roast lamb last night. Still, that's an improvement on last week, when I suspect the waiter may have peed in my soup. And my main course. And the desert tasted worryingly salty.

Bahaha, YES! All of this!!!

Soldato
I think you're probably right, but remember that having this season at all was extra, the whole thing was supposed to be 7 seasons but they managed to negotiate for another season albeit a slightly shorter one.
HBO wanted 10 seasons but D&D couldn't be arsed. They should have handed over the reigns to a competent writer who still loves the series instead when it became obvious they stopped caring.

Soldato
Meh loving the miss-placed Starbucks coffee cup at c14min50

A lot of the goodbyes this time quite finite. I.e. those key characters who survived the NK war are in for the chop.

Associate
Felt the editing was all over the place in Episode 4. Few glaring plot holes too that have been mentioned already. This is the first season where i have felt they are struggling to form a cohesive story and match the quality of previous seasons, but it may also be a symptom of this beingthe final season and our expectations are through the roof. I am hoping for 2 incredible episodes to conclude this amazing series.

Associate
That was a really bizarre episode I found, the first half was pretty decent but to me it doesn't seem like they've just defeated the greatest threat humanity has ever known? Feels like they just had a tough battle and took some losses.

Which is making it more and more apparent that they intended for Cersei to be the last boss, maybe at the last minute as the writing is becoming very sloppy. The sense of time and distance is completely gone at this stage, one minute we're at Winterfell, then next we're at Dragonstone, then another minute later we are at the gates of Kings Landing. Feels like they've had to chop bits out to hit the run time, but then had to cram things into single episodes in order to try and keep some kind of cohesive plot going.

My main gripe though is cutting away when we want to see some reaction! Sansa and Arya are about to learn who Jon really is.....cut away. Sansa is about to tell Tyrion about Jon....cut away. I'm still enjoying it, but the flaws are really starting to jump out at me now.

Back
Top Bottom