SSD C drive problem?

Associate
Hi, The last couple of days i have been getting a "Windows detected a hard disc problem" on C drive, which is a Kingston SV300S37A60G.
I did a check disc which came up no faults, also did a few virus checks,The drive still has 16.6GB free space left .
So should i take the windows pop up warning serious and just buy a new SSD drive, the Kingston was bought to just my OS on it and i did my best to try and not let other stuff download to it, but as you can see some did.
So apart from some downloaded programs that went on it, I don't have anything important on it..i.e pictures etc. Do i need to back any thing up?
Thanks ,Clifford................oh,any recommendations on new ssd drive?

Soldato
I would try the usual things of a new data cable and port. I would also see if Kingston have any software to do a smart test on it and see if there is any issues appearing in there.

Associate
OP
Thanks ED209....Kingston manager ..

so as you can see... failures 0, warnings yes and also degraded.... so i can read this as a problem ? and buy new ssd

Soldato
Going form that there is a firmware update for the ssd? Might be worth giving that a try first as this can sometimes fix issues with SSDs.

If it was me I would replace it if the new firmware doesn’t help as 250gb SSDs are quite cheap these days but as it’s a is drive and no important stuff on it you could wait till it dies or the issues get worse.

Associate
OP
Ed,as you said new SSD are cheap, so i will go for one.
Any recommendations for one. MB is MSI H81M-P33...not V2

Last edited:
Soldato
The only time I have ever had an issue with an SSD it was a Kingston SSD, from then on I always use the Samsung ones.

Just to ask, you dont have Windows defrag "On" do you ?, SSDs dont like Defrag :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Ed,as you said new SSD are cheap, so i will go for one.
Any recommendations for one. MB is MSI H81M-P33...not V2
I would normally stick to Samsung I have a 850 and 860 Evo) or crucial. I haven’t used crucial but always see people staying these or Samsung

APM

APM

Associate
In the meantime try and free some more room up on your Kingston.
That could save the drive from a catastrophic failure.

Soldato
As ED said I would upgrade the firmware 1st as that usually resolves issues that come up, other than that any SSD should work on your motherboard as it's only a SATA connection. That Gigabyte one is as good as any.

I've got a Kingston in this laptop I'm using now and it's fine (has been for over 5 years) as I only use it for browsing and basic office stuff so has nothing on it (it's 120Gb with over 70Gb free)

Soldato
Aah ok, didn't realise they had become that cheap tbh, unless it was critical data I would just order a replacement because life's too short to be faffing about for the sake of £25 (well it is too me).

Associate
OP
Yea Maundie £27 for 240GB can't complain.
Will it just be a case of replacing old for new SSD ,starting comp, run Gigabyte installation cd ,then put Windows CD in to add OS ?

Soldato
Use the free version of Marius Reflect to clone the old drive into the new one. No need to reinstall anything.

Edit: that should obviously be Macrium Reflect. The joys of autocorrect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom