Windows mixed reality

Associate
I am relatively new to VR and I know basically you gets what you pays for and having only tried the Samsung VR on my Note 9 I'm thinking of getting either the Dell Visor or Lenovo Explorer for sim racing (AC, Pcars etc)
Anyone tried both?
I have around £150 to spend, maybe stretch to £200.

Soldato
The Lenovo seems to be a popular thing, I see people rating it behind the Odyssey plus in terms of current wmr sets. On your budget though, if you could wait a short time I think the secondary market will start to trickle down in a few weeks time. People that have Odyssey devices for the resolution alone, for the simulations are likely going to upgrade to the HP reverb and look to move them on for around your budget.

There's also going to be Oculus Rifts changing hands with people stepping to the Rift S.

Associate
OP
I did manage to snag a Lenovo Explorer for £90, it's crazy some of the prices out there for 2nd hand WMR headsets!
I don't think I'll be using the hand controllers that much apart from menus in racing games, might try Pavlov as a few friends have it.

Soldato
Nice! First gen WMR might be the basic entry, but it's super cheap and only going down in price as people upgrade.

Let us know how you get on, any problems holla. Assetto and Pcars are great racers that should scale up and look a little better to around ss 1.5+ on that 1080ti you got.

Associate
OP
Assetto Corsa looks good, the biggest issue is the distance in VR, your always looking ahead into the blurriness but now and again take time to look around the car and the detail is very nice.
I've always used the bonnet/hood view so driving in-car was a change for me but at the end of the night I was posting the fastest laps!
From what I can gather VR (whichever headset you get) will suffer some screen door (pixelation)effect, obviously less in the more expensive headsets but still there.

The WMR headsets seem to have a small 'sweet spot' so it might take a bit of fiddling to get it right.
Are there any settings in-game or in graphics settings that can be made to better the experience?
I have steam VR beta and use AC content manager also.

Soldato
Post processing with custom filters in Assetto, it'll take the overbearing glare away on sunny days and help a little with distant views. I use either Wagnums or the natural graphics mod. If your bridging wmr to steamVR and using the open VR launch, make sure you ram the pixel density to 2.0 in the settings, it'll help some with a clearer image. Competizione does a better job of things with more natural colours and depth, I've took seconds off all my times as the world scale with the car and track in VR is night and day better over the Corsa engine.

Ultimately your correct about the sweet spot, I tried the first HP headset, it was night and day awful compared to the Vive, the worst thing about WMR.

Take a look at the Project Cars 2 demo if you don't have the game, it can be made to look stunning.

Somebody else can tell you about screen door, i'm not technically versed.

There's an extensive Assetto Corsa VR thread, look it up.

Soldato
I bought a Lenovo WMR headset when it was on sale last year. It's decent enough if you can get it cheaply as the optics are reasonable and the tracking works fine. The IPD sweetspot is a bit temperamental though.

The biggest problem I've found is that most games are designed for Vive/Rift so you often have to muck about with the settings to get things working. It's very noticeable that WMR is seen as an afterthought by most software developers.

If you can get one cheap (~£100) go for it but you might be better saving up for a Rift S based on my experiences of it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah it can definitely be adjusted to make a better experience, lots of settings out there and I've noticed how different people like different settings, which obviously is the case with most things.
It's a totally new experience going up through Eau Rouge flat in a Ferrari GT2, awesome!

Soldato
I personally wouldn't want to give WMR headsets any time of day.

They have not added anything to the VR-space software wise. I'd much rather give my money to either Sony, Oculus or even Valve if you have the wallet who at least have some form of comitment to providing you with VR experiences and not just pushing out hardware with subpar tracking.

If your budget is £200, surely keep an eye out for a second hand Oculus Rift CV1 which will have better audio, better tracking, better software and better games. One went on the MM the other day and it was definitely a bargain relative to what you're getting. The trade in of a little bit of resolution for an otherwise better experience in every other way is hard to pass up.

If you have a PS4, I'd be tempted to just get PSVR for now as RE7, Astrobot, FW Zero Hour are some of the best VR experiences available; and they're all only on Sony.

Soldato
Incidentally I'm planning on selling my Lenovo WMR headset once my Oculus Quest arrives later this month.

Message me if you're interested!

Associate
OP
I already got the Lenovo so not looking for anything in the immediate future, I'm not a member of the MM either although I have been a forum member for nearly 10 years I just can't keep the post count high enough!

Soldato
Honestly I think second hand cv1 will be best bang for buck headset for the next year or two.

Best audio, excellent tracking, oled screens, 90hz refresh rate

Agreed, except for the design flaw where the right audio ribbon cable can wear out. You might get a good one, but then you also might get one that breaks and be unable to get it fixed. Of course if the headset is cheap enough then it might be worth the risk.

Associate
I heard about this design weakness before I bought my headset. I left the right hand Velcro stuck in the middle and only adjusted the headset using the left side. Has only been used by others (and so adjusted) a dozen or so times. It's up for sale in the member's market at the moment

Back
Top Bottom