Z390 Aorus Owners thread

Soldato
Mmm Aorus new cooler ...

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14222/gigabyte-to-launch-aorus-atc800-cpu-cooler-a-beefy-tower

Used the last one, best ever mounting system that you'd need a PhD to appreciate and mount it !

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AxAB&usg=AOvVaw0DVzeAdSRuZTlodMp9zqQ9&ampcf=1

15988_aorus_atc800_clearance.jpg

Looks like this one should be simple as it's cooler masters MA610P

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/masterair-ma610p/

Last edited:
Associate
Soldato
Am I missing a setting here guys? I have G-Skill 3600CL16 which is Samsung b-die. If I try to tighten the timings from the XMP which is 16-16-16-36 to 15-15-15-36 the frequency drops to around 3422-ish. I've never had this on previous motherboards but this is my first Gigabyte. I can set frequency to 3600, up the dram voltage to 1.4v and IO and SA to 1.27 so no shortage there but I can't tighten timings. Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Associate
Am I missing a setting here guys? I have G-Skill 3600CL16 which is Samsung b-die. If I try to tighten the timings from the XMP which is 16-16-16-36 to 15-15-15-36 the frequency drops to around 3422-ish. I've never had this on previous motherboards but this is my first Gigabyte. I can set frequency to 3600, up the dram voltage to 1.4v and IO and SA to 1.27 so no shortage there but I can't tighten timings. Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

My Pro does the same. On the pro this was related to the trfc timings. If I went too low, the frequency would drop. Same with Cas.

Try to relax your tRFC while keeping 15-15-15-36.

On the whole RAM overclocking on the Gigabyte boards isn't a great experience.

Soldato
My Pro does the same. On the pro this was related to the trfc timings. If I went too low, the frequency would drop. Same with Cas.

Try to relax your tRFC while keeping 15-15-15-36.

On the whole RAM overclocking on the Gigabyte boards isn't a great experience.

Cheers for reply. Yeah I watched Buildzoids vid using my board and he says it overclocks ram well but with 4 sticks not 2. I'll give that a try though.

Last edited:
Soldato
gigabyte test more with 4 kits rather then 2 like asus does, or prioritises .

I'm tempted to buy another kit and make it up to 4x 8gb. It does seem a little extravagant as I've not found a game yet that that is leaving my system short of ram. Having 11gb of vram obviously helps.

Glad! mind sharing a screenshot of your timings after you're done tweaking?

No worries :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I've got a waterforce z390 for a new build, I've posted a thread here about a weird USB issue I'm having

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/strange-issue-with-forcefeedback-on-new-build.18853506/

However I thought it worth asking in this thread if there are any known issues with USB on these boards as I'm scratching my head as to why a forcefeedback wheel which works fine on another PC will stop working after a few minutes on this one.

Regards
Fred

I am 99% confident that this situation was caused by the RGB Fusion software, or more precisely a process it installs.

Man of Honour
Which board because this thread covers all of the Aorus boards? The biggest problem with the Gigabyte boards for me is the awful bios. I came for having Asus boards which are widely accepted as having the best bios but with the reduction of quality and features yet charging more for their boards I jumped ship to Gigabyte only to discover the bios is terrible. Don't get me wrong, they are cracking boards and UK RMA is a bonus but they really need to completely overhaul the bios.

Soldato
Which board because this thread covers all of the Aorus boards? The biggest problem with the Gigabyte boards for me is the awful bios. I came for having Asus boards which are widely accepted as having the best bios but with the reduction of quality and features yet charging more for their boards I jumped ship to Gigabyte only to discover the bios is terrible. Don't get me wrong, they are cracking boards and UK RMA is a bonus but they really need to completely overhaul the bios.

Yeah I came from MSI which had a great bios. I'd tinkered on a mates Z170 Gigabyte bios and found the bios on that to feel antiquated. Z390 is better than that but the layout is just not been thought through. Still the hardware is fantastic so its definitely with the purchase.

Soldato
Anyone got the mini ITX wifi one and overclocked an 8700k on it?

Toying between that and the Asus Z390 mini ITX one.

Not sure if one has any major advantages over the other?

Soldato
Anyone got the mini ITX wifi one and overclocked an 8700k on it?

Toying between that and the Asus Z390 mini ITX one.

Not sure if one has any major advantages over the other?

I had the z370 version, Z390 is greatly improved with better heatsink and VRMS! mine was getting toasty running 5.2ghz with 1.44v !!!!! around 100c VRMs when doing stress tests, 70c when gaming . Z390 will be a lot better !

Aorus use IR 3553 40A powerstages , 6 of them were as ASUS use NCP302045 45a again 6 of them. IR units are the better mosfet generally

also audio is better on the Aorus and believe has better wifi

customer service is miles better for Gigabyte then asus

Soldato
Cool, so to clarify you're recommending the Aorus over the Asus?

I'm glad you feel the Z390 is a big bump over the Z370, was actually contemplating a Z370 version too as they're cheaper. But if it's worth the jump I think I'll stretch for the 390

Soldato
Cool, so to clarify you're recommending the Aorus over the Asus?

I'm glad you feel the Z390 is a big bump over the Z370, was actually contemplating a Z370 version too as they're cheaper. But if it's worth the jump I think I'll stretch for the 390

4 phases vs 6 from z370 to 390.

old z370 uses OnSemi mosfet, both for hi and low (4C10 & 4C06). z390 uses IR units which are a single intergrated mosfet so you don't have two low and two Hi units to make one phase . Z370 Units are rated to 44amps roughly , also the PWM controller on the z390 version is better.

then audio & features

z390 aorus -
  • ALC1220-VB Enhance 114dB(Rear)/ 110dB(Front) SNR in Microphone with NICHICON Audio Capacitors
  • Intel® CNVi interface Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, supporting 2.4/5 GHz Dual-Band
  • BLUETOOTH 5
  • 2x m.2
z370 aorus-
  • ALC1220 120dB SNR HD Audio with Smart Headphone Amp - no higher end caps and older ALC1220 chip
  • older Wifi chip and using Bluetooth 4.2
  • 2x m.2
z390 strix
  • same wifi and m.2 as aorus 370, same ALC audio as z370 aorus 7
personal experience , go the z390 ! even if its asus, aorus, msi, asrock etc

Soldato
Nice, thanks, will definitely go 390. Just realised they have Bluetooth 5 too, which I think I'll benefit from. I wear my Bose QC35 bluetooth headphones to watch and listen to media, with my current cheapo USB bluetooth adapter it loses signal really easily if I stray far from my desk, which is annoying.

Definitely edging towards the Auros at the moment considering it's £50 cheaper than the Asus.

Back
Top Bottom