Z390 Aorus Owners thread

Soldato
Which board because this thread covers all of the Aorus boards? The biggest problem with the Gigabyte boards for me is the awful bios. I came for having Asus boards which are widely accepted as having the best bios but with the reduction of quality and features yet charging more for their boards I jumped ship to Gigabyte only to discover the bios is terrible. Don't get me wrong, they are cracking boards and UK RMA is a bonus but they really need to completely overhaul the bios.

I was considering the Z390 Master. I will be coming from an X99 Asus board which has served me amazingly well for 4-5yrs, can I expect that the Z390 will be buggy and unstable then?

Man of Honour
It's not buggy and unstable at all. Like I said, they are cracking boards that are let down by a terrible bios layout which they don't seem to be able or want to do anything about. Like me you are coming from a Asus board so will see what I mean the second you go into the bios.

Associate
Anyone got the mini ITX wifi one and overclocked an 8700k on it?

Toying between that and the Asus Z390 mini ITX one.

Not sure if one has any major advantages over the other?

I've got a 9700k @ 5.1ghz (1.38 bios / turbo llc) on the itx board. I'm happy with it but I'm currently wondering if I can use 3600mhz+ ram on this particular board.

Last edited:
Associate
Nice! That fact that you can hit 5Ghz on such a mini board is awesome. What kind of cooling and what temps you getting?
Dark Rock Pro 4 in a Nano S case. Looking to replace it with a DH15s because it is a nightmare every time I need to remount the cooler in a case this small.

In BFV the temps hang around 70-75c (my most demanding game CPU wise). 1080p with a 2080ti and uncapped fps.

Last edited:
Associate
Oh man thanks for that - just peeping some reviews for it now.

Dang the performance is in the same class without the massive size... Alright trying to cancel my D15s order right now!

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh man thanks for that - just peeping some reviews for it now.

Dang the performance is in the same class without the massive size... Alright trying to cancel my D15s order right now!

:D

its the fans, extra heat pipe and increase of heatsink to older version .

have a feeling they might do a 140mm version.

as a heads up, fans are about £30 a pop !

wanting to see reviews on Dark Rock Slim - add in dual fans and should match it, whilst having a slimmer heatsink, 58mm vs 48mm - so 1cm difference

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £78.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Last edited:
Soldato
My Z390 I Pro Wifi arrived, just got a delidding tool in the post too. Now got to wait for some high temperature glue to arrive from Amazon before I can delid and try out the new board!

Associate
:D

its the fans, extra heat pipe and increase of heatsink to older version .

have a feeling they might do a 140mm version.

as a heads up, fans are about £30 a pop !

wanting to see reviews on Dark Rock Slim - add in dual fans and should match it, whilst having a slimmer heatsink, 58mm vs 48mm - so 1cm difference

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £78.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Doh I couldn't cancel my dh15s order in time. At least I can chromax it up I guess.

That dark rock slim sure has great aesthetics....... hmm

Soldato
My Z390 I Pro Wifi arrived, just got a delidding tool in the post too. Now got to wait for some high temperature glue to arrive from Amazon before I can delid and try out the new board!

Why high temp glue? Personally I'd just use liquid metal on IHS and die and place the cpu in the socket and that will keep the IHS in place. When I fixed my IHS back in place on my previous CPU to sell it I used a locktite black silicone that you'd use on cars ect. Glue sounds a bit extreme to me.

Soldato
Why high temp glue? Personally I'd just use liquid metal on IHS and die and place the cpu in the socket and that will keep the IHS in place. When I fixed my IHS back in place on my previous CPU to sell it I used a locktite black silicone that you'd use on cars ect. Glue sounds a bit extreme to me.

On quite a few of the vids I checked out, they recommended using a small amount of that as the adhesive, to keep it together after applying the liquid metal and it means you can delid it again in the future if necessary or somethign goes wrong.

This particular one by UHU was highly recommended, but it was stupidly expensive on Amazon at over £20 a tube. Most of the reviews are from deliders, apparently a respected YouTuber called der8auer recommends it.

I picked up this cheaper alternative for £6.50.

That dark rock slim sure has great aesthetics....... hmm

The Noctua mounting system is by far the best. I had a Be Quiet one years ago and it was such a pain. It might be better now, but I think I'm Noctua for life considering the performance and ease of mounting. Totally worth it.

Associate
The Noctua mounting system is by far the best. I had a Be Quiet one years ago and it was such a pain. It might be better now, but I think I'm Noctua for life considering the performance and ease of mounting. Totally worth it.

This is one of the reasons I'm replacing my Dark Rock Pro 4. It's easy enough when you mount it the cooler for the first time outside the case but it's frustrating otherwise :mad:.

Last edited:
Associate
Hello guys, I'm new on the forum, recently bought z390 aorus wifi, i5 9600k and 2x Corsair 8GB 2133mhz, I can activate the xmp option and it works fine, but after a week when I turn on the computer again it show a error (Bios failure detected) and back to the previous settings, anyone know what might be happening? Thank you

Last edited:
Man of Honour
@Guilherme Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

Firstly, why on earth did you buy memory that slow? That's a easy way to cripple your systems performance. I would be getting rid of them asap and wouldn't even consider any DDR4 under 3000mhz.

On to your problem. Do you have the latest bios? If not then that may be your problem because up until the latest bios (F9) many of us where having problems running our memory correctly using XMP. Flash to F9 and the problems were gone. To flash the bios download the latest bios and put it on a USB stick. Reboot the pc and enter the bios. Under the tools tab you will find the Q-Flash utility. Fire that up and point it at the usb stick that the bios is on and follow the instructions. Do not interrupt the process or you will brick the board. When complete it will reboot the pc. Do not flash the bios using any windows based software, always use the built in tool in the bios. ***Please note, flashing the bios will wipe any saved settings so either write them down before flashing or back them up to a usb stick.

Soldato
@Guilherme Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

Firstly, why on earth did you buy memory that slow? That's a easy way to cripple your systems performance. I would be getting rid of them asap and wouldn't even consider any DDR4 under 3000mhz.

On to your problem. Do you have the latest bios? If not then that may be your problem because up until the latest bios (F9) many of us where having problems running our memory correctly using XMP. Flash to F9 and the problems were gone. To flash the bios download the latest bios and put it on a USB stick. Reboot the pc and enter the bios. Under the tools tab you will find the Q-Flash utility. Fire that up and point it at the usb stick that the bios is on and follow the instructions. Do not interrupt the process or you will brick the board. When complete it will reboot the pc. Do not flash the bios using any windows based software, always use the built in tool in the bios. ***Please note, flashing the bios will wipe any saved settings so either write them down before flashing or back them up to a usb stick.

You had me hoping there was an F9 for the Master but its still listed as F8 on the Gigabyte website :( Memory could definitely do with improving in the F8. I have kick ass B-die memory but pushing it past XMP just produces instability, if it will even train and post. I know it is more than capable of faster frequencies and timings. Maybe I've just been unlucky with this board, I know Buildzoid said he had 2 Master boards and one overclocked ram really well the other didn't.

Edit: actually looking at the dates the F9 for the wifi was released on the same day the F8 was for the Master. I still think it could be improved.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom