• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
That's interesting, it suggest they can't match Intel on clock speed or there is little if any difference in IPC Zen+ to Zen 2.
Hard to tell from that snippet which target AMD hits. Current (0.93), Cascade Lake (1.0) or future (1.3), improving from current 0.87 AMD level. +15% IPC would bring it to 1.0

Soldato
They should change its name to Zen 3 and leapfrog Zen 2 so we don't have this Ryzen 3k / Zen 2 foolishness.

Probably some nerdy reason why this isn't sensible.
It's fine because there is no Zen 4. Thus:

Ryzen 1xxx = Zen
Ryzen 2xxx = Zen+
Ryzen 3xxx = Zen 2
Ryzen 4xxx = Zen 3
Ryzen 5xxx = Zen 5

:D

I think the serious reason they are out of sync is simply because Zen was a massive step forward for AMD, and going straight to Zen 2 a year later was probably too tough for a company that was in their position. It was far safer to do an incremental improvement (i.e. Zen+) whilst the marketplace was readjusting and motherboard manufacturers were getting to grips with a new platform. Now they are in a much more stable position, so it worked out well.

Hard to tell from that snippet which target AMD hits. Current (0.93), Cascade Lake (1.0) or future (1.3), improving from current 0.87 AMD level. +15% IPC would bring it to 1.0
There isn't any context around these statements in the Reddit post but I highly doubt these figures regard IPC. It's more likely overall performance Why?
1) They are primarily discussing server chips;
2) Just after this they state: "Rome delivers a 1.6x performance delta over INTC's current and for the next year Cascade Lake" which is quite obviously not an IPC statement;
3) The claim that Intel will improve IPC by 40% over Coffee Lake with Cooper Lake in 2021 is very hard to believe. I mean it'd be great if they did but their current track record makes that extremely tough to achieve. It's more likely core count increases.

Associate
I think he's referring to the rumour that they aren't naming it Zen 4 due to Chinese superstition that 4 is unlucky.

EDIT: Ignore me, saw the picture above lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
They should change its name to Zen 3 and leapfrog Zen 2 so we don't have this Ryzen 3k / Zen 2 foolishness.

Probably some nerdy reason why this isn't sensible.
Because it's only us nerds who even know the names Zen, Zen+ and Zen 2. The average consumer sees the perfectly sensible Ryzen 1000, Ryzen 2000, Ryzen 3000 (and corresponding Threadripper nomenclature). So there is no confusion to be had really.

Associate
But can it play Crys....sorry
When your electricity bill arrives you can guarantee a crisis of sorts! :D
I'd hate to think how much larger it would be with Intel Inside though. :eek:
Surprised at the other all Intel system on the same link especially as the GPU is not even released yet.
I think they must have got a very sweet deal from Intel to use that tech.

Associate
Still happy with my Taichi, unless there is some major performance improvement from going X570 i'll stick with what I have.

Same here. Although I will be keeping an eye on whether or not the older boards will support higher frequency RAM, considering the hell that I went through to get 2933 speeds on my first gen Ryzen.

Soldato
So are RAM issues all resolved for Ryzen now? I read an article stating B-die was manufacturing has stopped now and will be replaced with A-die.

RAM 'issues' were resolved before Zen+ was released, it took a few AGESA versions to get it working well with lower spec'd RAM but I've not had many issues, and as long as you are not expecting to get 3600MHZ C14 on a set of £50 16GB DIMM's with a 2600 then you should be more than happy. :)

Soldato
RAM 'issues' were resolved before Zen+ was released, it took a few AGESA versions to get it working well with lower spec'd RAM but I've not had many issues, and as long as you are not expecting to get 3600MHZ C14 on a set of £50 16GB DIMM's with a 2600 then you should be more than happy. :)

Ok thanks for confirming.
Na, I would likely purchase a good set of sticks. It's been 8 years since my last upgrade so be as well do it right as I'm hoping it will last me at least 5 years going forward.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
So are RAM issues all resolved for Ryzen now? I read an article stating B-die was manufacturing has stopped now and will be replaced with A-die.

Generally 3000MHz and lower tends to 'just work', many 3200 kits will also be fine now. Using 4 sticks or higher speed memory is still a bit hit and miss and will probably require manual tweaking.

Soldato
Generally 3000MHz and lower tends to 'just work', many 3200 kits will also be fine now. Using 4 sticks or higher speed memory is still a bit hit and miss and will probably require manual tweaking.

Ok thanks.
I'll no doubt be scouring the forums and recommendation threads to see the most commonly recommended items before purchasing so I'll see what works and what is a bit iffy then.

Back
Top Bottom