Chernobyl miniseries - coming to Sky and HBO in May 2019

Soldato
I can't see how this is remotely interesting.... We know what happened there.. Why make a drama out of it?

It will just be a sensationalised version of events

Soldato
Why not watch it and then pass judgement ?

I thought it was really good, will certainly be watching the entire series.

he knows the outcome, therefore how can any of it possibly be interesting? Heh

I watched that new Ted Bundy film yesterday, wish I hadn’t bothered as I realised I already knew the ending ffs!111

Associate
I can't see how this is remotely interesting.... We know what happened there.. Why make a drama out of it?

It will just be a sensationalised version of events

Not sure how much is dramatised / characters created / merged for story reasons.... but if as described in the series, i had no idea just how appalling the disaster was to those in the local area and how bad the people on the ground were left to suffer with little to no safety equipment / regard for life. And I remember at the time the warnings re the cloud of nuclear fallout that travelled the world multiple times / ruined the Welsh Lamb market.

Its off the scale grim, doesnt pull any punches and quite moving as a result. Well worth a watch, even if you only give the first episode a go to see... as thats all we've seen so far.

Soldato
Not sure how much is dramatised / characters created / merged for story reasons.... but if as described in the series, i had no idea just how appalling the disaster was to those in the local area and how bad the people on the ground were left to suffer with little to no safety equipment / regard for life.

Only thing that might have been over-done was how quickly radiation damages the body. I think it's slower than portrayed but could be wrong. The complete lack of anything useful and the denial that the accident was as bad as it was is entirely true.

The scenes inside the plant were very realistic. I have been inside reactor 2 a few times and some rooms and corridors were spot on to me. I was actually wondering if they'd film in one of the other reactor houses.

Pripyat portrayal isn't quite accurate but arguably how can it be? It's close enough to be totally believable to me and I'll be on my 6th visit to the zone in October.

It may suffer what many things with a cult following often do. It may become "cool" to complain and nit pick every inaccuracy. For me, I thought it was excellent and highly recommended (as is an actual visit should you get the opportunity)

Soldato
Thought it was decent enough wasn't any less terrifying knowing the basics of what actually happened. only slight niggle was the English speaking parts but it was either that or speaking Russian with subs all way through or speaking English with faux Russian accents I guess , will still watch the next four for sure :)

Soldato
Seeing how I was conceived not that far away or long after disaster happened, I should probably watch this for research purposes :p

Soldato
Pretty good start, kind of wish it felt more authentic with Russian/Ukraine actors instead of changing into English but yea it's grim seeing the lack of any kind of safety procedures / equipment being implemented.

Soldato
There is docu-drama online which has Ade Edumdson as the chief safety investigator (same character is Skasgard) which is very good.

There is also "Inseparable" I think it's called which is a Russian/Ukrainian telling of the same story with subs.

A wiki of the accounts as told by one of the immediate survivors seems to tie pretty much to the events as portrayed in the episode (and from what I've been told by a guy who was on the night shift at the time)

Back
Top Bottom