Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Associate
I'm after a table saw. I was going to go for the Titan one from Screwfix but it seems quite large and i'm not sure if i bench top one would be better. Ideally i'd like the Dewalt 745 version but i can't quite justify the amount. Unfortunately there isn't a huge amount of choice and so i've ended up liking a Draper 82570

https://www.drapertools.com/product/82570/250mm-Extending-Table-Saw-(1800W)

Advantages over other models is that it features a 10" blade and extends on both sides to create a decent sized working platform.

Uses will be ripping lengths of wood down (scaffolding boards etc in half) and also cutting down MDF/PLY where i think i'll be more accurate with this vs a circular saw.

It'd be great to see these things in person but options for that are limited. I also know the Titan one has a lot of optional table extentions. If i was to get that and not install the legs/extentions. How big is the main table?

Did you get a table saw yet?
I have the titan saw from screwfix and it does the job.

Soldato
Got a shrub trimmer yesterday and it worked a treat. We didn’t need a full sized trimmer and small 20cm hedge trimmer is just right for keeping the bushes shaped.

Bosch ixo jobby.

Soldato
Anyone used the Makita LXT hedge trimmers ?
I specced the makita 4861x to replace our screwfix titan which has stripped its gears ....
not a battery one though, the same cutting mechanism I think for <1/2 the cost ! I'm sceptical a battery version would have the endurance.
will probably purchase from powertoolsdirect they were 1/3 cheaper

Soldato
I'm always sceptical of buying battery powered garden tools, for me they just don't get enough use to justify the extra expense for the convenience of not having a cord. Hedge trimming is a once or twice a year job but it takes a long time so multiple large batteries are required. That said I can understand it if you had a huge garden which makes extension cords difficult to use and expensive.

Same goes for leaf blowers^^

Soldato
I would go further, even on mains hedge trimmers ... but maybe I don't pay enough, the quality of cut is always disappointing on bigger tha a twig,
they tend to shred, which is not best for the hedges' health, or dicease ... so once a year or so, end up using anvil loppers to take out the big bits cleanly
(and satisfyingly)

Soldato
I've not used any cordless garden power tools before so not sure what to expect. My hedge trimmer is tempremental so it is either grab another corded one or go cordless. I end up cutting mine quite a bit as my front and rear garden hedges are on the pavement so can't be allowed to grow long, for me its a 30 minute or so job every month between april and novemberish time. The one from screwfix comes with a 4amp battery, ITS have a cheaper one with a 3amp battery. It'd then give me the battery for a jigsaw as most of them come bare. I'm not a brand snob just have got makita 10v drill and impact driver and they're pretty good. A cordless and compact lawn mower would be nice but i'll give it a few years for one of them.
Tools i want at the moment are:
Hedge trimmer
Cordless 18V drill or Cordless SDS drill for drilling into brick wall - nice having an older house with brick walls between rooms but putting a shelf up can make you swear a lot with low powered drills not going in.
Jigsaw, ideally cordless

Yesterday i got some countersink bits with a drill in the middle, a bunch of wood drill bits and a base decking rail to finish my decking off.

Soldato
Do you already have a combi drill/driver that does the job?

Are you trying to sink screws or attach other fixings and running out of umph?

Yes have a stanley fat max combi drill that does the job. Only once have I run out of oomph.

Stanley do an impact driver that would work with the batteries I have for the combi drill.

However don't think I need one to be honest. thanks :)

Soldato
Yes have a stanley fat max combi drill that does the job. Only once have I run out of oomph.

Stanley do an impact driver that would work with the batteries I have for the combi drill.

However don't think I need one to be honest. thanks :)
Impact driver is my most used tool (a DIY'er), until having one i wasn't to fussed about buying one until someone got me one for my birthday or xmas years back. So usefull.

Soldato
With mine if i hardly press the trigger it hardly spins around. full trigger press it really drives screws in. Not sure if they are all like this as its the only one i've had.

Soldato
Impact divers are so much better than cordless drills for driving screws. I got my little DeWalt 10v impact driver in 2012, and I still think it's the best tool I've ever bought.
The only time I drive screws with a drill is when noise is a concern, as impact drivers are pretty noisy

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Interesting - I've wanted an impact driver for a while, but had no reason to justify one. My problem is, do I jump ship from Makita? I'm being drawn to Metabo, but that's subtle micro influencers for you.

Back
Top Bottom