**** The Official Google Pixel 3 Thread ****

Soldato
I think they are just worried they might cannibalise too many flagship Pixel sales so offering freebies at a higher RRP rather than a straight up cheap price.

They are banking that upper midrange market wants a flagship camera experience without the cost of a flagship and can live without other latest features. If they are right and the phone is popular then it may threaten Pixel 4 (probably given on vanilla 3 line already) sales a little too much if they drop the RRP to £300. Although at this point you can almost guarantee they will stick more than one lens on the back of it so at least they can differentiate the lines that way in the future.

Thought 3a XL was meant to have SD710 but basically looks like a slightly bigger screen but 20% more battery. Also one thing to note is that this doesn't get the unlimited original size Google Photos backup, just the standard reduced size storage that any Android can get.

Soldato
I think they are just worried they might cannibalise too many flagship Pixel sales so offering freebies at a higher RRP rather than a straight up cheap price.

They are banking that upper midrange market wants a flagship camera experience without the cost of a flagship and can live without other latest features. If they are right and the phone is popular then it may threaten Pixel 4 (probably given on vanilla 3 line already) sales a little too much if they drop the RRP to £300. Although at this point you can almost guarantee they will stick more than one lens on the back of it so at least they can differentiate the lines that way in the future.

Thought 3a XL was meant to have SD710 but basically looks like a slightly bigger screen but 20% more battery. Also one thing to note is that this doesn't get the unlimited original size Google Photos backup, just the standard reduced size storage that any Android can get.

Interesting. I did not think they would drop the free storage. But saying that Google's storage prices are reasonable

V_R

V_R

Soldato
No still doesn't work I'm afraid. Neither does the Barclaycard app. :(

My two biggest gripes with the betas!

Soldato
What exactly does Titan M chip do anyway? Stops naughty people installing spy software on your phone and people getting information from you phone (as long as you have your FP/pin setup) in case they get a hold of it?

Associate
No still doesn't work I'm afraid. Neither does the Barclaycard app. :(

My two biggest gripes with the betas!

Well they are BETAs after all. I would imagine that the OS's have to be 'signed off' or have some kind of certificate which is probably missing on a BETA OS. Thats why I never bother with them (or rooting for that matter, any more). Security is no laughing matter nowadays and companies can't be too careful.

As for the 3a, it's not really on my radar but I'm not sure what people really expect? £400 is pretty reasonable for a decent phone nowadays, especially a big name phone. Under £300 was never gonna happen in a million years. Probably be around the £25/mo or under mark on contract which is how most people will probably buy them, and less when they're a bit older.

Soldato
I mean if you want the free Nest or that Chromebook it is around £300 mark. Reckon once those offers expire then it may start dipping to those levels.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Well they are BETAs after all. I would imagine that the OS's have to be 'signed off' or have some kind of certificate which is probably missing on a BETA OS. Thats why I never bother with them (or rooting for that matter, any more). Security is no laughing matter nowadays and companies can't be too careful.

As for the 3a, it's not really on my radar but I'm not sure what people really expect? £400 is pretty reasonable for a decent phone nowadays, especially a big name phone. Under £300 was never gonna happen in a million years. Probably be around the £25/mo or under mark on contract which is how most people will probably buy them, and less when they're a bit older.
Fully aware, been the same for all the previous betas. Stil irks me though considering the Nationwide and AMEX apps for example are confirmed working.. ;)

Soldato
Downloaded Q beta with a WhatsApp issue; previously when notifications came in I'd get the option to reply without unlocking. Now I get the notifications but can't reply and have to unlock to do anything. Anything I can do to rectify this?!

Am I understanding this correctly.

Less water proofing
Not the same latest gorilla glass that pixel 3 has
Plastic body instead of metal
No wireless charging
Worse cpu
Smaller screen (though no notch)
No full res photo back up online.

All for what, £75 less than o2 were selling the phone SIM free 2 weeks ago?

Associate
Am I understanding this correctly.

Less water proofing
Not the same latest gorilla glass that pixel 3 has
Plastic body instead of metal
No wireless charging
Worse cpu
Smaller screen (though no notch)
No full res photo back up online.

All for what, £75 less than o2 were selling the phone SIM free 2 weeks ago?

That sounds about right to be honest.

The RRP price of the 3A is perfectly reasonable so comparing it to the discounted phone isn't comparing like with like. However, I would almost certainly just cough up the extra 75 quid, personally.

Back
Top Bottom