Portugese Custard Tarts

Soldato
OP
Thanks Raymond. I added the eggs, was ok, kinda pale yellow so I've added one extra yolk and it's a good colour now. I've got tons of custard left, any idea how long I can keep it in the fridge?

Oven has just reached maximum 270c, so in they go! :D

I hope they don't spilll over, lol.

20190507-214451.jpg

Soldato
OP
Oh.. my … word. :cool:

Pretty much perfection I think. Look great, and taste awesome. I'm quite proud of myself.

I've eaten one, still way too hot really, nearly burnt my tongue but wow, so crispy with a super creamy custard. And I can really taste the cinnamon as well.
Excuse the excess of photos, gotta see them from all angles of course, lol.

And as promised, the crunch test video below. Listen with headphones. :D
Raymond, I gave you a credit in the video description. :)

20190507-222833.jpg

20190507-222119.jpg

20190507-222132.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thanks, that's a great compliment! Yes it is quite ASMR isn't it. :D
I so very nearly binned the dough this afternoon when I thought I'd messed it up. Glad I didn't.

Btw, the cooking class I went to was only 2hrs and the whole thing was done within that time, you really don’t need to rest the dough that long at all.

You can dib your fingers in water when spreading the dough into the tins. To help.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks Muska :)

Raymond, that's fine by me if I can shorten the time of the process, I'd rather not wait 2 hours tbh.
Yep, I filled a glass of water and kept my fingers and thumbs wet when I moulded the dough into the tins.

Caporegime
Thanks Muska :)

Raymond, that's fine by me if I can shorten the time of the process, I'd rather not wait 2 hours tbh.
Yep, I filled a glass of water and kept my fingers and thumbs wet when I moulded the dough into the tins.

Start making the custard.

When the sugar is cooling, use that hour to make the dough and rest within that time.

You can then put it together in the end, the whole thing should take 90mins.

Soldato
OP
I made more pasteis de nata and they're awesome. I used a different custard recipe and a different method for making my puff pastry. I did inverted puff where you roll the dough inside the butter instead of vice versa. Ask me if it was difficult? **** yes, very! :D Trying to roll out chilled butter in a warm kitchen and stopping it from softening up and sticking to everything is a nightmare. I did it over two days. But it's come out well, much flakier than my last effort and softer too, much more like the shop bought ones. Made them shallower too in a shallower muffin tin. They didn't quite char on top as before though.

20190623-175726.jpg

20190623-175551.jpg

20190623-175413.jpg

And just for a comparison, here's a single tart I made with a different recipe last night. It came out with the nice charring but the custard colour was very dull. So I threw that custard (6 eggs and half a pint of milk wasted) and re-made the custard with the other recipe as pictured above. Must be something to do with water content. There was less water in the above recipe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom