Being charged £169 to cancel a policy

Soldato
Hello guys,

Cancelling a policy with AdrianFlux as I have sold my car and they have told me I need to pay £169 for the cancellation.

Does this seem right? I can't ever remember having to pay anything more than £30 to cancel a policy.

Seems mental that I am paying for nothing, never mind paying £169 for nothing.

Should I just stump it up and pay it or is there a way around it? Thanks

Man of Honour
what does your policy small print say ?
This.

I cancelled a policy a couple of weeks ago roughly 3 months early and they told me I wouldn't receive a refund for the remaining time as it covered the cancellation charge, she almost sounded like I should have thanked her and she was doing me a favour :o

Associate
Why are you cancelling any not transferring the remainder onto the new car out of interest? I think you can have ~4 weeks of limbo while car-less without any hassle.

Soldato
insurance companies and being ruthless non shocker,

most of them are like this now, will fill the small print with anything they can to up their bottom line

Soldato
OP
Not sure on small print. Guess it says they can legally Rob me blind though if I cancel.

There isn't another car for it to go on. I already have another car and van already insured with other insurers.

Looks like I'm gunna just have to stump it up.

Soldato
OP
Hello, it's admin fee and the cancellation charge. They are meant to be sending me a breakdown of why it is costing this but not received anything as of yet.

Soldato
Adrian Flux are terrible. A few years ago I rang to cancel my renewal. 2 weeks later they took the payment. Rang them up to be told I had no option but to pay a similar fee to cancel the policy. After much arguing on the phone, speaking to a manager of some sort, they found the recording of my previous phone call and said that they would cancel it without a fee "on this occasion" very reluctantly. Will never get insurance with them again. Many of my friends have has problems with them too.

Caporegime
I'm guessing that you pay for your insurance monthly and the £169 is the cost to settle the finance agreement with the lender.
I’d have thought this too,but, my e38 was insured with Flux, they actually wanted more money to transfer the policy to my diesel Focus estate, I was a bit annoyed by this and enquired about cancelling and they said it was over £100 (don’t recall the exact amount) to cancel so I’d have only had about £80 refunded as I paid in full when I took the policy out.

After a bit of ranting they transferred the policy but still charged me an admin fee.

They won’t be getting my business at renewal.

Don
To be fair, Adrian Flux have really gone down the toilet in recent years. It used to be the place for anything even slightly tasty. One of my cars is still insured with them but I'm unlikely to renew.

Long time since I specifically looked, when I was at one of the insurers it used to be the refund was remaining (complete) months only, and iirc they did it on 10ths, so 6 months in the refund was 10-6 = 4 months
There was some talk about stopping that but not sure if it ever happened.

In theory if you took an annual policy and cancelled in the early months your accumulated cost could be higher than the amount you had paid (if paying monthly)

Soldato
To be fair, Adrian Flux have really gone down the toilet in recent years. It used to be the place for anything even slightly tasty. One of my cars is still insured with them but I'm unlikely to renew.

Totally agree. They couldn't even quote me a price on the C63. Yet Admiral did it for less £600. They're certainly not what they used to be.

Back
Top Bottom