Guy gains access to scam call center in India and records the operation using their webcams

Soldato
This guy managed to gain access to the systems of the guys in this call center and monitors them for months to unveil how the operations works. Really interesting footage.

He also managed to locate them pretty accurately because they use a wireless network.

These guys are a particularly nasty group from Kolkata in India. They run a refund scam and this video shows what their call center looks like, how they operate, who and where they are. I've sent a link to the unblurred version of this video to the Kolkata Cyber Police (for all the good that it will do).

View an unblurred version hosted off YouTube here or the YouTube version below.

Soldato
This guy is brilliant, watch mostly all his videos, and had a few chats with him on LinkedIn - I love what he's doing, and his videos are really well presented - so much so, they could educate most novice users on how to spot scams.

There's another chap who traps scammers in a honey trap, and has an executable called "Bank details" or somesuch, which the scammers duly download and run.... resulting in this guy then being able to trash all their Windows devices with a few commands :D

Soldato
Scum, they tried to scam my in-laws a few years back, had the father in law in a real panic!

He said that I was the techy in the family and I would speak to them, they never called back after that

Soldato
Enjoyed watching this. Interesting video for sure.

What is most alarming is the software company being complicit in the scams.....

Soldato
Yep, big fan of Jim's videos.

I just leave the phone unattended after saying "could you give me minute?" - and hang up the phone when it eventually tones... But, i don't really get calls anymore (did when we first moved in) - i think they have their own black list of numbers they know are useless to them

He said that I was the techy in the family and I would speak to them, they never called back after that
All, my family friends do the same - they ask if they could call back when I'm around - no call backs, and often less calls full stop.

Man of Honour
Yep, big fan of Jim's videos.

I just leave the phone unattended after saying "could you give me minute?" - and hang up the phone when it eventually tones... But, i don't really get calls anymore (did when we first moved in) - i think they have their own black list of numbers they know are useless to them

All, my family friends do the same - they ask if they could call back when I'm around - no call backs, and often less calls full stop.
On a similar subject any idea how to get off the 'you've been in an accident' list? I keep getting calls no matter how many numbers I block and how many time I sign up on TPS.

Soldato
On a similar subject any idea how to get off the 'you've been in an accident' list? I keep getting calls no matter how many numbers I block and how many time I sign up on TPS.
The recorded message one? Yes, i still occasionally get those unfortunately, but rarely answer unknown numbers unless expecting a call (but you can't eliminate all) - but even these have curtailed. I think the calls are so cheap to generate/move on, that they're not as discerning(sic) as the 'personal touch' scam/**** caller

Man of Honour
Don't answer unknown numbers / unexpected calls, they'll trail off eventually.
Sadly I can't, I deal with a lot of random people calling me as part of my job.
The recorded message one? Yes, i still occasionally get those unfortunately, but rarely answer unknown numbers unless expecting a call (but you can't eliminate all) - but even these have curtailed. I think the calls are so cheap to generate/move on, that they're not as discerning(sic) as the 'personal touch' scam/**** caller

No, the real people ones. Haven't had an automated one in ages.

Associate
My old dear was getting called by these guys or similar, in a lot of ways these days it's better if she doesn't have phone access due to the constant scams, infact many older people can't cope with all these new tech oriented scams.

Soldato
That's the kicker then, sadly.

The fines are so hard to implement (despite new guidelines) that these callers ignore TPS. And, regardless of the success of previous calls, if they get an answer they know the line is live/active and so there's always the possibility that they could get another user, in the future, who may be more pliable/accommodating. I assume they play the percentages, as cost is so cheap... :/

Soldato

If it's a personal phone then, well, that's your own fault. If it's a work phone, sadly not a lot you can do. They don't care about the rules and will just random dial numbers, any that ring/pick up get added to databases and sold to other scammers...that's essentially how I've understood it to work anyway.

Back
Top Bottom