Ethernet cables not appearing to work in lounge....

Associate
Hey all

I have an issue with Ethernet cables that have been installed.

I have had cat 6 ethernet cables run from box room at first floor into loft and down chimney stack to feed TV, consoles etc. I have used an Ethernet cable tester and all appears to be well. These are straight through cables. However, neither my TV or Wii U will connect to the internet through the cables.

Now the router is connected to my pc upstairs via homeplugs and works fin, so there is no issue with the internet.

Does anyone have any idea why the internet is not working in my lounge?

Man of Honour
Is it connected to a switch?

Have you tried directly connecting the living room end to a device and the other end to the router?

Associate
OP
I have connected it directly to the router. No switch involved. I'm wondering whether there are any settings I need to play with on the router? I have tried using other ports on the router, but this has not worked either.

Man of Honour
So it's router > 'this' cable > device downstairs and internet doesn't work? What does the device show for IP configuration?

Plug a laptop or PC in and see what IP address it gets.

You shouldn't have to change anything.

What router is it?

Soldato
Are these pre-terminated cables or did someone crimp plugs onto them?

It is possible to have the wiring wrong and still pass the tests from a basic network continuity tester.

Soldato
could he have terminated in crossover config and the TV/Wii is not auto-sensing?

Look at the order of the colours in the plugs on both ends and report back.

Soldato
These were crimped by my electrician. Wasn’t aware that the tester would not work.
The tester will only tell you which pins are connected together. It's possible to wire up the plugs in ways that won't work but will fool the tester.

It's a horrible generalisation, but electricians shouldn't be let anywhere near network cabling.

Back
Top Bottom