Spec me a Vacuum

Soldato
We've got a vax blade cordless to use to whizz around downstairs for jobs when getting out the big vacuum isn't worthwhile.

It's ******* **** on hard floors. Barely any suction, can't even pick up 3mm bits of grit, even after I've spent 10 minutes washing the filters out (and another 24 hours waiting for them to dry).

The brush head does alright on carpets, though.

Associate
What you described in your first post is exactly what I would do.

We've got a Eufy 30c and it is brilliant for keeping the floors clean of dust. Now I want to get a small handheld for the stairs and nooks and crannies the eufy doesn't reach.

We still own a large vac but it sees little use these days. I think a small powerful hand vac and the eufy will make it redundant; so long as the hand vac has decent attachments and suction.

Soldato
OP
Miele have new models with aren't as big and clunky.

I’ll definitely check out the Miele range - My parents swear by theirs - and although I’ve been impressed by their vacuum it’s a bit too heavy and cumbersome for my uses - but if they have any cordless models, I could definitely be keen!

Dyson are overpriced crap now. Our old one was great (DC25 I think?) but the latest batch are terrible. We have a V7 and a V8. The V7 battery and suction is terrible. The V8 sucks better but it has a habit of overheating and shutting off, and dropping larger particles back out onto the floor.

I think we are going to try shark next.

The only Dyson we had was the DC04 and that lasted some years. Never bothered with the new models as it just got too expensive and the quality did not reflect in the price they demanded.

Thanks a lot for your comments - I must be honest, I am strangely attracted to Dyson but they’re so damn expensive! I think I will avoid them this time around, as it’s my first property and money is going to be tight for a couple of years I imagine...

Mielle cannister vacuum. Huge range which will give you choices. I'm a hay-fever sufferer so got a HEPA one. Mielle cannisters generally offer the best filtration also.

My HEPA is a smaller size which suited my apartment perfectly.

Miele too , or the equivalent Bosch ........ I accused my neighbour of being a brexiteer when he was cleaning his car using his dyson the other day - enough said

but for laminate flooring with a fine grain, is there a special attachment versus carpets .. the powered brush heads will be pretty useless no ?
sabre brooms are good for them.

EDIT LOL - dysonboschmieleshark seems like a microfibre mop is what is needed
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=36426

lol @ the Brexit comment - Mr Dyson rubs me the wrong way with his Brexit opinions too - but you can’t deny they make a damn good product (but way too pricey :eek:

Shark Cordless here. Comes with loads of attachments and 2 batteries (the one I got)

Yes the dust tank is a bit small but keeping on top of the house chores it's not an issue. Having the 2nd battery is a defo if it's you're main vacuum.

I will defo check out the Shark range - since looking I’ve seen quite a few good reviews - the fact I’ve never heard of them before worries me a little, but the positive reviews are hard to ignore!

I have a Charles , it’s a Henry but with wet vacuum too, I’ve probably removed a few tons of rubble, sawdust, nails and other crud over of the years, cleaned my car seats with it a few weeks ago too, you’re right they are quite cumbersome but they’re well built and the suction power is excellent, I’ll get another when over finished decorating and keep one upstairs and one downstairs

I would absolutely love a Henry - we’ve used them during our work for years and they’re so reliable - but with the small space that I have, I feel like they’d be a bit too bulky for my liking :(

Don't get the V6, unless it's just for doing a couple of rugs or other small scale applications. The battery in my Mums doesn't even manage a full room before it packs in on the high power setting. The dust chamber is tiny and fills up in no time, which gets annoying, especially as you pop open the bottom and the dust stays where it is, so you then need to start poking it out with a stick, or remove the entire chamber. Dust floats up out of the bin while doing this and you end up breathing it in. It just feels really cheap as well and already the fancy silver paint is starting to wear away at the corners. I'd honestly think it was some cheapo Chinese £30 job if I didn't know it was a £200 Dyson.

Thanks for the comment - I was tempted at the reconditioned model honestly, but I think I’ve decided to stay away for now.

We've got a vax blade cordless to use to whizz around downstairs for jobs when getting out the big vacuum isn't worthwhile.

It's ******* **** on hard floors. Barely any suction, can't even pick up 3mm bits of grit, even after I've spent 10 minutes washing the filters out (and another 24 hours waiting for them to dry).

The brush head does alright on carpets, though.

Thanks for the comment :) As 90% of my flooring is laminate - I think I’ll avoid :)

What you described in your first post is exactly what I would do.

We've got a Eufy 30c and it is brilliant for keeping the floors clean of dust. Now I want to get a small handheld for the stairs and nooks and crannies the eufy doesn't reach.

We still own a large vac but it sees little use these days. I think a small powerful hand vac and the eufy will make it redundant; so long as the hand vac has decent attachments and suction.

Very interesting! I’ve been reading about them for a while and I feel like they’d be great for the majority of my house! I see that the Robovac 11 model is currently £139.99 - any thoughts on this model (not sure if I can link due to anti competition rules etc.)?

Associate
I've no experience with the 11 robovac but I think the 30c is as small as I would want to go. In terms of dust bin capacity at least. I got mine on offer a while back for 30 or 40 more than what you've seen the 11 for.

I'm seriously considering buying another 30c for downstairs and keeping the original for upstairs, but getting a decent handheld comes first. There may be other makes of robovac that are better than the Eufy but I grabbed it because of the offer price nothing else. I'm really glad I did.

Soldato
Used shark. Rubbish. No suction cheap, zero power on rotating head, and plastic looks.like it will break.tiny dust collection.

I found ours great to start but it deteriorated quite quickly and never seemed to improve even with regular cleaning of filters. Alright on carpets but terrible on laminate.

Agree about the plastic parts too. The attachments never feel as quality as the Dyson either.

What I will say though is that the warranty support is excellent. We’re on our second after the first was replaced with no fuss after 4 years.

Soldato
My dyson v7 has lasted a good few years now with no problems would recomend to
Anyone. We also have a dc25 but dont use it anymore as can easily whiz round the house
On one charge.

Soldato
if I wanted to pay near dyson money - I'd still get an upright sebo ... with decent brushes for a laminate floor
... so - prioritize functionality/build over tat. but people never look under the hood.

sebo
bosch(I have) dyson

43454385274_3baf71e72f_o_d.jpg

fez

fez

Caporegime
We have a V6 that we got from the refurb store and its been great. The battery life is somewhat crap but if you do little and often its great. We use it all the time because its so easy to just pick up and get going with. I would love one of the V11s but we paid £150 nearly 2 years ago and its still working fine and we have used and abused it.

Different people always seem to have different opinions on these things but I like our Dyson. There are always people who tell you they are crap and that their X is amazing but they wouldn't sell so well if they didn't work.

Soldato
Different people always seem to have different opinions on these things but I like our Dyson. There are always people who tell you they are crap and that their X is amazing but they wouldn't sell so well if they didn't work.

Every issue I mentioned is real and it's only right to let a potential buyer know about them. The collection cylinder is tiny, the battery life is poor and the suction isn't that great on the V6, those are simply facts. I think some people buy something and then sing it's praises as they spent a lot of money and want to ignore any issues the product has. People strangely support brands like they were a sports team.

It is handy to quickly vac up spills or do the odd rug, but there are better and cheaper options if thats all you want. Buying it to do a full house, or even a full room is imo pointless as you'd have to re-charge it for every room, or in a large room maybe even recharge twice.

I'm sure the higher end Dysons are better, but I have not tried them so can't comment. I have used the V6 a lot as my mum fractured her back, so I used it several times a week for months.

Soldato
It is handy to quickly vac up spills or do the odd rug, but there are better and cheaper options if thats all you want. Buying it to do a full house, or even a full room is imo pointless as you'd have to re-charge it for every room, or in a large room maybe even recharge twice.
Are the batteries that bad on the Dysons?

I did my whole house with our Vax Blade once. I've already detailed how **** it is in respect of suction, but the battery coped, just about.

Soldato
Are the batteries that bad on the Dysons?

I did my whole house with our Vax Blade once. I've already detailed how **** it is in respect of suction, but the battery coped, just about.

I have only tried the V6, but I think the higher end Dysons have higher capacity batteries.

On the V6 to do a carpeted room you need to use the higher speed setting as the low speed is rubbish, which then drains the battery in no time. I just about managed to do the carpet of the living room, then had to re-charge it to do around the edges with the brush attachment and the rug etc. It also seems to get very hot when using the high power mode, the battery especially.

It would be a lot better on hard floors as you could probably get away with using the low speed setting.

Soldato
No ones mentioned Gtech in here yet. we have one, seems to do the job and I can do the whole house easily on one charge, twice if I'm quick. The main downside is you need to buy both the upright and the handheld but that also means you have two batteries to use. The handheld lasts 4 vacuuming sessions around the house and is handy for the car etc. They certainly don't have the suction power of the high end Dyson's but they also don't have the associated price.

We don't have any pets so I can't really comment on tougher applications.

Soldato
OP
I've no experience with the 11 robovac but I think the 30c is as small as I would want to go. In terms of dust bin capacity at least. I got mine on offer a while back for 30 or 40 more than what you've seen the 11 for.

I'm seriously considering buying another 30c for downstairs and keeping the original for upstairs, but getting a decent handheld comes first. There may be other makes of robovac that are better than the Eufy but I grabbed it because of the offer price nothing else. I'm really glad I did.

I am seriously tempted at going for the 11 at £139.99...

If anyone has any experience with one, please let me know!

EDIT: I just read in a review for it, that the Robovac 11 is now discontinued... So I'm a bit hesitant now...

No ones mentioned Gtech in here yet. we have one, seems to do the job and I can do the whole house easily on one charge, twice if I'm quick. The main downside is you need to buy both the upright and the handheld but that also means you have two batteries to use. The handheld lasts 4 vacuuming sessions around the house and is handy for the car etc. They certainly don't have the suction power of the high end Dyson's but they also don't have the associated price.

We don't have any pets so I can't really comment on tougher applications.

I see them advertised on TV and they look like a pretty decent Dyson competitor!...

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Every issue I mentioned is real and it's only right to let a potential buyer know about them. The collection cylinder is tiny, the battery life is poor and the suction isn't that great on the V6, those are simply facts. I think some people buy something and then sing it's praises as they spent a lot of money and want to ignore any issues the product has. People strangely support brands like they were a sports team.

I'm sure the higher end Dysons are better, but I have not tried them so can't comment. I have used the V6 a lot as my mum fractured her back, so I used it several times a week for months.

I'm not claiming that its perfect but we have a largish 3 bedroom house and a cat that sheds a fair bit and saying that you can only do a room from a charge is simply wrong. The suction is good and we can usually do about half the house on full power mode before it gives up. Like I said, your mileage may vary but giving your opinion like it is fact is just wrong. Almost everyone I know who has on of the cordless V-whatevers thinks they are great and they all know the limitations and weak battery life.

Soldato
The thing that gets me about the vacuums these days are the aW values - essentially the suction power.

Some, like the Dyson V10 and V11 appears to be more powerful than plugged in Dyson Ball uprights, and massively more powerful than most other brands.

Soldato
If you live in a smaller place like a flat or small house i'd 100% go for a cordless Dyson!

I live in a 2 bed flat and got one last year and it's great. We've got a mix of laminate/carpet and it works great on both, and is so hand to just grab and whizz around the place. Never noticed it not picking up anything. Also handy for getting codwebs and into awkward places.

I got a V6 for £199.99 when Dyson we're doing 12 months 0% finance on their online store, worth every penny.

Soldato
The thing that gets me about the vacuums these days are the aW values - essentially the suction power.

Some, like the Dyson V10 and V11 appears to be more powerful than plugged in Dyson Ball uprights, and massively more powerful than most other brands.

I don't even think Dyson sell corded vacuums anymore because they can get such good suction from their cordless models.

Back
Top Bottom