Detective Pikachu

Caporegime
Having watched it again, it does look like a pretty good cross between nostalgia (Mr. Mime japes) and modern humour (i.e. Pika’s joke about pushing people away ). This has scope to be great but to do so it’ll have to fly in the face of what you would expect (like the Lego Movie did).

Yeah I'd give it a chance, the Lego movie was pretty damn good. It's bound to be better than all the comic book/super hero **** we've had in cinemas recently.

Soldato
Detective Pikachu leaked video
Nearly forgot:

My kids nearly crippled me when i tricked them with this last night - both jumped on me at the same time. Worth it - 5 minutes both transfixed, with occasional head turns in my direction to check i was watching too (they're rightly suspicious) - until sudden realisation (damn that second controller) - priceless.

Who needs two working lungs anyway?..

Associate
Just came back from watching it. No major spoilers, but will spoiler warning my thoughts:

OK so, there's lots of references. So much so I'm fairly certain I missed some.
Half the fun of the movie was probably catching those references.
It's not super thought provoking or anything like that: It's a Pokemon movie after all, if you've come here expecting Batman Early Years Detective Comics level of detective work; nope, this is not it. It's aimed for fans and most of those are going to be young kids. ;)
Subsequently, the films falls into a lot of "convenient" plot points that join up together to make the film. And it's fairly easy to notice for some. But if you can overlook it, the film is entertaining for what it is. :D
There is no end credit thing like Marvel films, but the credits itself is chock full of stuff for people to watch.

Man of Honour
OP
Just came back from this - loved it. Felt a bit weird until pikachu showed up and from then on it was great. It was basically deadpool with Pokemon nostalgia and frequently rather funny :D

Leave your brain at the door of course.

Big spoiler:

... but no sequel! Awww man that sucks!

Mewtwo was awesome tbh. Such a great villain from my childhood on the big screen done really well. Super cool :cool:

Ditto was equally brilliant.

Twenty zillion charmanders... would have been cool for a bit more variety but... budget and all that. Basically if it’s not the original 151 = fake.

Last edited:
Associate
Leave your brain at the door of course.

Big spoiler:

... but no sequel! Awww man that sucks!

Mewtwo was awesome tbh. Such a great villain from my childhood on the big screen done really well. Super cool :cool:

Ditto was equally brilliant.

Twenty zillion charmanders... would have been cool for a bit more variety but... budget and all that. Basically if it’s not the original 151 = fake.

Sequel already in development, and imagine unless the film flops it'll happen :)

Really enjoyed it, it's a bit like the fast and furious films, if you leave your brain at the door it's great fun :D

Back
Top Bottom