Is it ok to be proud to be white?

Soldato

I have no interest in going into the tangent points you mentioned, such as white shame, affirmative action etc. Start another thread if you want to discuss that.

We agree that X pride slogans are generally ok, they don't automatically imply that the proud person is racist, xenophobe or a nazi. The first difference between you and me is that I make a distinction between benign slogans, such as "Gay Pride", and those associated with nazis and/or terrorists such as "White Pride". Similarly, I'm generally ok with the Seal of Muhammad, but I'm not ok with it when it comes with the Black Standard even if the wording is identical. There is no hypocrisy in position, it's simple and consistent: all other things being equal, I don't like nazis, I don't like terrorists and I don't like people who use their slogans or symbolism.

The second difference is that I don't have to hide my views behind my username, I make the same points under my real identity, at work, at home or in my social circles. Why don't you try defending White Pride in the same manner? Explain to your coworkers how White Pride is not that bad, I'm sure they will appreciate hearing your "nuanced" views. And if you make sure to mention that you read a study which said this and that, what could go wrong? :rolleyes:

Soldato
I have no interest in going into the tangent points you mentioned, such as white shame, affirmative action etc. Start another thread if you want to discuss that.

We agree that X pride slogans are generally ok, they don't automatically imply that the proud person is racist, xenophobe or a nazi. The first difference between you and me is that I make a distinction between benign slogans, such as "Gay Pride", and those associated with nazis and/or terrorists such as "White Pride". Similarly, I'm generally ok with the Seal of Muhammad, but I'm not ok with it when it comes with the Black Standard even if the wording is identical. There is no hypocrisy in position, it's simple and consistent: all other things being equal, I don't like nazis, I don't like terrorists and I don't like people who use their slogans or symbolism.

The second difference is that I don't have to hide my views behind my username, I make the same points under my real identity, at work, at home or in my social circles. Why don't you try defending White Pride in the same manner? Explain to your coworkers how White Pride is not that bad, I'm sure they will appreciate hearing your "nuanced" views. And if you make sure to mention that you read a study which said this and that, what could go wrong? :rolleyes:

I give in and echo the head thumping comment above, this is why I tend to avoid the internet for discussion as you avoid what doesn't suit and misrepresent to make a point.

Soldato
Mobo's celebrate blackness no one ever questions that.

Stop looking to Stoke the racist lefty agenda, since the advent on the net racism or perceived racism had become worse.

Soldato
Your mum and dad who are probably both white had a shag and you came out so ... well done you?

This is basically what the argument reduces to. You have nothing to proud of because you've done jack ****, darling.

No, that is what you are reducing it to. The reality is that everyone alive today is a product a line that runs from here back to the beginning of time, we are not created in isolation, we are part of a family a nation and a species. We can take pride in the achievements of our ancestors who struggled to survive and thrive, because they are quite literally part of us.

I do not take personal pride in this, but I can absolutely take a communal pride in the fact.

Caporegime
No, that is what you are reducing it to. The reality is that everyone alive today is a product a line that runs from here back to the beginning of time, we are not created in isolation, we are part of a family a nation and a species. We can take pride in the achievements of our ancestors who struggled to survive and thrive, because they are quite literally part of us.

I do not take personal pride in this, but I can absolutely take a communal pride in the fact.
Fair point, I was reducing it but only because that's what I thought you had already done. So, if I follow you correctly, you take communal pride in being white even though personally you have done nothing to warrant that pride.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding your point.

Soldato
So, if I follow you correctly, you take communal pride in being white even though personally you have done nothing to warrant that pride.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding your point.

I am not taking personal pride in it. I am taking a communal pride in it.

Can you go into any detail at all on this because it's rubbish.

Are you claiming that we are not the product of a genetic and cultural legacy of our ancestors? Perhaps you really did just pop into existence with your eyes open.

Soldato
Don't you just mean patriotic or national pride?

Nationalism is a form of communal pride, absolutely. But I don't adhere to the idea of a white nation, so it's not a term I'd use.

People who take pride in their nation are rarely claiming any significant personal stake in the nations success, but instead of being a very small part of its history and future. Being a member of the team as it were, even if their own role is small. I see nothing wrong in that.

Gay Pride, now there's a load of nonsense.

Caporegime
Nationalism is a form of communal pride, absolutely. But I don't adhere to the idea of a white nation, so it's not a term I'd use.

People who take pride in their nation are rarely claiming any significant personal stake in the nations success, but instead of being a very small part of its history and future. Being a member of the team as it were, even if their own role is small. I see nothing wrong in that.

My irony and broke-brain meter is not working so I have nothing führer to add.

Gay Pride, now there's a load of nonsense.
Yeah, that's the main problem, the gays :/

e: it's really bugging me - who were you before you had the enforced name change?

Soldato
The reality is that everyone alive today is a product a line that runs from here back to the beginning of time, we are not created in isolation, we are part of a family a nation and a species.

Which makes it a nonsense. We're all part of the same species and nearly all of us are a mixture of some kind. And regardless, being proud because your shade of skin looks similar to the shade of those that prcoeeded you makes no sense at all. You weren't around. The same applies for feeling shame for the horrible things your predecessors did. If we're taking count, white europeans are right at the top of the total dicks list over the centuries. But they weren't us, and we shouldn't feel shame.

Soldato
My irony and broke-brain meter is not working so I have nothing führer to add.

Very witty.

Yeah, that's the main problem, the gays :/

I didn't say there was an issue with the gays, I just pointed out that concept of gay pride was absurd.

e: it's really bugging me - who were you before you had the enforced name change?

It wasn't a forced name change. It was a requested name change after I got the outcome of the last GE incorrect. Schlong&Stable was the name that was voted for.

Back
Top Bottom