Do you take your laptop on holiday

Man of Honour
Depends, if its a foreign trip I tend to take the tablet and Kindle, although if I'm staying away in Scotland (in a cabin usually) I do tend to take the laptop (Surface Pro) as I've go more movies, music etc on there.

Caporegime
Just wondering how many of you take your laptops on holiday with you

No, holidays are not for working, that's kind of the point.

being as they wouldn't fit in the room safe.

This is not a qualifying statement I've ever had to consider. Which I'm grateful for. You might need to look at getting a new job or raising your expectations of your current role.

Soldato
Ok so to break the trend here......yes I always take my laptop.

I appreciate that its a vacation however in my defense :

1)I am self employed
2)We normally take a vacation for 6 to 10 weeks at a time, so when that happens I need to be able to be contactable, so I normally spend 2 or 3 days a week working.

Case example.....we are going to Orlando next year for 9 weeks. We are all sorted with our Disney, Universal and Seaworld passes, but I will have to spend some time working and also potentially flying to other states for work.

The safe issue isnt a problem because we do not stay in a hotel when we go, we normally hire a house.

Soldato
Yes, but I only take my i9 macbook pro retina touch bar to watch movies in the airport lounge, prior to boarding first classbusiness class

Quoted for nearly truth :p

This is the only reason I still have my Surface Book 2 15. Comes with me on trips. Mainly as I wouldn't particularly care if it caught fire or fell in a river.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pet Northerner
Don
Nope, I take my kindle and my phone (and that's only so I can be contacted by family if needed). I make sure I cannot access work emails and uninstall slack so I don't have any work interaction until I get home.

Holidays are exactly that.

Soldato
Don't have a laptop, but I will always take my iPad.

I'm sure if you speak to reception they will have a larger safe behind the desk that they could use to store the laptop, if you're worried about leaving it in the room.

Caporegime
if i had a laptop i'd take one as online banking is easier to do on it. for things like Halifax clarity cards. if you take cash out you want to pay it back that day or in "advance" so no interest is applied.

would also be easier for things like online shopping. if for example in the US where everything is cheaper and you can get it delivered to the hotel or wherever you are staying.

i use my phone and it's do-able but it's a PITA on a small screen. the bigger the screen the better. i will use the tablet too but a laptop would be handy.

Caporegime
The risk of loss/damage isn't worth it.

So no I don't take my Surface book 2, 15in 3240×2160 with nvidia 1060gtx and 512gb etc etc with me.

Soldato
I don't have a laptop anymore so no. When I had one it depended on where I was going and whether I was likely to use it. These days I just take my tablet to watch things while travelling.

Back
Top Bottom