*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
What's the deal with your Nintendo account, primary console and digital purchases these days?

In the past Nintendo were rubbish for letting you access your digital purchases as they were tied to a particular console etc., is this still the case? I found some FAQs online but still not convinced...

Soldato
Check Out Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order GameInformer June Cover

TUaD4pL.jpg

Here is an overview from GameInformer:

More than a decade ago, the X-Men Legends and Marvel Ultimate Alliance games lit up our gaming screens, fulfilling the fantasies of comic book fans everywhere with the chance to build our own superhero teams and beat down the bad guys in rollicking action/RPG adventures. Then, like they were snapped out of existence, the series disappeared.

Now an unexpected partnership between Marvel Games, Nintendo, and Koei Tecmo/Team Ninja is bringing Ultimate Alliance back to life. The new Switch exclusive releases on July 19, and we had the opportunity to visit Nintendo’s North American headquarters and experience the game for ourselves. We got exclusive hands-on access with a bevy of heroes, saw some brand-new playable characters, and spoke with all the involved teams about how this unlikely team-up came to be. If you’re riding high on the Marvel excitement train the way we are, you won’t want to miss our exclusive look at the game, which headlines the new June issue of Game Informer.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order will launch for the Nintendo Switch on July 19 for $59.99.

Soldato
What's the deal with your Nintendo account, primary console and digital purchases these days?

In the past Nintendo were rubbish for letting you access your digital purchases as they were tied to a particular console etc., is this still the case? I found some FAQs online but still not convinced...

They've pretty much sorted it, as of September last year. I say "pretty much" because it's Nintendo. Nothing is ever as easy as it seems.

Let's say you buy a new Switch and have the old console to hand. The process is fairly seamless. You can deactivate your account on your old console, set the new one as primary, and transfer all user accounts and save data across easily.

Now imagine you sell your Switch and then a year later decide to buy a new one. You've got to phone Nintendo to sort the primary account stuff out. And your saves are gone (unless you kept your Nintendo Online sub running, in which case you've only lost saves for some games).

So it's better than it was. But it's still crap compared to what it should be.

Man of Honour
Glad you finally got it! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Visuals and Audio:
The visuals and audio are charming and fit the game well, but they are nothing to write home about. Nothing stands out about it when I think about the game so they were neither offensive nor impressive.

Controls:
In a game like this they have to be perfect, and they are. They are simple (there are only three actions in the game: jump, grab and dash) and responsive, and surprisingly the Pro controller's atrocious dpad is not an issue as up/down doesn't do anything.

Gameplay:
Ah, it's a brilliant mix of puzzle platforming and exploration for hidden rooms and collectables. The three actions all combine into a really satisfying gameplay loop and each room is a puzzle to solve with your limited grip time on walls and your dash which only replenishes when you touch solid ground. The collectibles also only register when you touch solid ground so don't use suicide runs to try your luck at grabbing them.

Difficulty:
This is the most surprising aspect, as I remember reviews saying the game was hard, but despite having died over 300 times so far (I think I'm half way through) I was never frustrated. If you ignore the collectibles it's an easy game, but finding and collecting them means that you will die lots. The game never feels difficult (frustrating?) though because you respawn instantly in the same room right by the platform or collectible that you were trying to reach. Some of the collectibles so far have really had me thinking hard about how to get to them.

Edit: I take it all back, B Sides is delightfully difficult!

Summary:
I think the quote "It's OK to fail" sums this up well. I have never played a game where I've died so many times and never once felt frustrated, and I can highly recommend this to people interested in puzzle platformers. If this game had a rocking chiptune soundtrack and funky pixel art then it would have been as if it was perfectly tailored to my tastes, but the relaxing ambience does add a certain charm to the proceedings.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Bought one with three games, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart and Zelda and struggling to find anything else worth buying.

Plus the games on the Nintendo store are so expensive, Switch version of a game? £42, PC - £9. Yeah, not sure this was a good purchase at all.

Last edited:
Soldato

Nice write up! :)

I can't comment too much because you've not hit the top yet. One thing I will say about the audio is that the soundtrack is stellar and fits the mood of the game perfectly. Yeah no chiptunes but still great.

Whilst I initially found the game difficult, later on I got on perfectly fine with it using the d-pad. I played it first time using the stick and I had so many missed inputs on the diagonals it was quite frustrating particularly later on - I died something like 5,000 times the first play. If I had known at the start not to play with the stick I think I would've been fine. My last run I bought the Hori full d-pad joycon and I had a superb time with it. Since your post saying you'd bought it I actually started playing it again for my 3rd full run at it and I am sailing through it. I'm thinking of doing a parallel run with fewest deaths vs full exploration and strawberry hunting!

Man of Honour
Nice write up! :)

I can't comment too much because you've not hit the top yet. One thing I will say about the audio is that the soundtrack is stellar and fits the mood of the game perfectly. Yeah no chiptunes but still great.

Whilst I initially found the game difficult, later on I got on perfectly fine with it using the d-pad. I played it first time using the stick and I had so many missed inputs on the diagonals it was quite frustrating particularly later on - I died something like 5,000 times the first play. If I had known at the start not to play with the stick I think I would've been fine. My last run I bought the Hori full d-pad joycon and I had a superb time with it. Since your post saying you'd bought it I actually started playing it again for my 3rd full run at it and I am sailing through it. I'm thinking of doing a parallel run with fewest deaths vs full exploration and strawberry hunting!

I'm a bit confused about what you mean by runs, but you said you haven't reached the top.

Soldato
Bought one with three games, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart and Zelda and struggling to find anything else worth buying.

Plus the games on the Nintendo store are so expensive, Switch version of a game? £42, PC - £9. Yeah, not sure this was a good purchase at all.

Octopath traveler is good. Xenoblade 2. Super smash bros, Pokemon (although don’t have it), Nino Kuni 2 although you can get on steam.

To be fair once you get into Zelda you will say goodbye to 100hrs or more of your life so just on the one game for me anyway it’s a worthy purchase. There are loads more big games arriving this year and next.

But yeah console game pricing is a big downside.

Soldato

If you have a PC I'd stick with games that are either exclusive or that you fancy playing on the go. I have double dipped on a few (Skyrim, DOOM, Diablo 3) because playing them anywhere appeals to me greatly. The rest I've bought physical are first party games or indies which can be had pretty cheaply digitally.

Back
Top Bottom