• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Permabanned
I agree with most but Radeon VII does show that GCN has the legs in it to be competitive. The sheer fact that AMD have a card that can compete with and fairly often better the 2080 for similar money tells me they're not far off already. GCN will be replaced sooner rather than later* but AMD have done a good job brute forcing performance out of it even if it's at the cost of power usage.

I am pretty sure Nvidia are sitting on new performance parts they could release (2085/2085Ti?)** but this is why competition is a good thing and I will never understand people who keep looking like they are desperate for AMD to fail. Everyone should want Navi to be good for the sake of better products and pricing for everyone.***

* Maybe but I'm starting to wonder if it makes sense to them to push past Navi & GCN when that's going to be the next gen console architecture, They should push on but if they can get a chiplet design that works properly they may focus on developing that over the next few years.

** It would make sense considering how big the price range gap is. I'm not sure with what though, Unless I'm mistaken the 2080 is a fully unlocked chip & the 2080ti already isn't.

*** Of course, a week competitor opens the consumer up to being taken advantage of as we've seen Nvidia do time & time again. They did it on Pascal's release by delaying custom cards and adding a Founders tax on reference cards claiming it was because the blower design was more high-end than the last one, then they did it again with Turing prices, we need competition & we need it to be more than a 2 horse race so thank God for Intel entering the discrete gpu market.

Soldato
The reason you do this is scale-ability - You don't design a high end GPU to target the 1%, you do it because if you can make the high end work, then scaling it down makes it much easier to have an efficient card. Additionally it adds value to the marketing of the brand. Why does BMW/Audi/Mercedes sell halo cars that 0.01% of their customers buy - it adds value to the brand to influence sales lower down the chain

I'm fully aware that high end products are a good marketing tool to help sell the lower end products.

However, AMD don't have the R&D capital for the high end products you speak of. AMD made the Vega 64 while making an annual NET LOSS of $660 million. Compare this to Nvidia's revenue of 4.64 billion, how the hell can you expect AMD to compete at the high end?

I'd say that AMD are doing remarkably well considering!

Soldato
Q3 then for Navi, so that means it could possibly be out July at the earliest?...if my mathematics is right.
Q3 is July, August and September. I would very much like Ryzen and Navi to launch at the same time so we have a complete mainstream consumer PCIe4 eco system launching as a package; Ryzen 3000, RX 3000, X570. That could be July, but I wouldn't want Ryzen and X570 held up until September because Navi is a problem.

Soldato
Everyone seems to forget AMD were borderline broke in the GPU section which is why their GPUs have been so awful:D

Is that true or is that just a story you tell yourself? Vega 64 is still awesome, and AMD is always better value than Nvidia.

About 2,000 years ago a Roman slave called Epictetus had an idea, an idea so good that it has spawned countless wonders including modern day neurolinguisticprogramming (NLP) and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to name just two. The idea was this: it is not the facts themselves that actually make us feel happy or sad, it is the stories that we tell ourselves about the events that make us feel the way we do.

Marketing works, and Nvidia and their shareholders love customers like you.

Man of Honour
I think a few people should have a look at this video:

Not only is it interesting but it might help explain their position in the market and why they do what they do. Navi might be a failure for us but I bet it hits the spot for it's intended audience. Much like Mi50/60 ;)

Associate
Is that true or is that just a story you tell yourself? Vega 64 is still awesome, and AMD is always better value than Nvidia.

About 2,000 years ago a Roman slave called Epictetus had an idea, an idea so good that it has spawned countless wonders including modern day neurolinguisticprogramming (NLP) and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to name just two. The idea was this: it is not the facts themselves that actually make us feel happy or sad, it is the stories that we tell ourselves about the events that make us feel the way we do.

Marketing works, and Nvidia and their shareholders love customers like you.
In 2013 ( or around that time) AMD had to let off thousands of employees as they were losing money they even had to sell the building they owned and had to rent it off of the new owners it wasn't until recent that AMD started gaining market share back their shares was something like $1 in 2014/16 https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...how-amd-has-overcome-its-previous-issues/amp/

Forgot to add yes Vega is awesome now at its current price but when it was released at £600? Imo it wasn't a great deal and was a poor buy but that's my opinion

Soldato
q3 launch for AMD usually means 15th September :)

The 2080 was a poor follow up to the stellar 1080, this is AMDs opportunity.

Vega wasn’t a bad set of cards but i think the perception of drivers problems and lack of competition to G-Sync loomed large in that product cycle, it was not just that Vega was seen as an inferior gpu, it was the whole package.

With those two problems behind it AMD can at least be mostly judged on perf and perf per watt again.

Soldato
OP
I think a few people should have a look at this video:

Not only is it interesting but it might help explain their position in the market and why they do what they do. Navi might be a failure for us but I bet it hits the spot for it's intended audience. Much like Mi50/60

Do keep up squire :D a dozen or so posts above yours :p

J/K... It's actually a decent video from him. Takes a while to get used to his monotone voice though. Been following him for a while now, very like Jim at @adoredtv where he's good at analysing tech.

Back
Top Bottom