3d printing Show us your Prints.

Don
Really, there is only one proper choice as a first printer and that the Creality Ender 3. It's big enough to print most stuff, modable enough, and sensibly priced.

Man of Honour
Really, there is only one proper choice as a first printer and that the Creality Ender 3. It's big enough to print most stuff, modable enough, and sensibly priced.

Depends what your expectations are - if you aren't printing bigger stuff (upto 120x120x120) then the Monoprice Select Mini requires no construction out of the box and comes pretty much ready to print, gets good results and a wide feature range. Though I'd avoid the "pro" version of it as apparently the auto levelling bed is a bit naff and causes more problems than it solves.

Most of the other "i3" clones and similar models are pretty naff though.

Don
Agreed, I wish I got one as my first printer. My Geetech i3 pro b was a nightmare.

I've got a Pro B. It was junk when I got it. It's much better now due to upgrades (Titan, V6, TMC2130s, proper lead screws etc etc. The great thing about those though is the GT2560 board. If it's the A+ version you can just throw 24V at it without having to mess with stepdowns etc. I really like them.
It was my first printer and I learned so much by making it good. I think if I had bought something that was fine out of the box I wouldn't have learned half as much as I have.

Soldato
Yeah, it's a great printer at a good price and should suit most people.
However, it really depends on what you want to make. The build volume wouldn't be big enough for my requirements for example, but that's me.

Man of Honour
It was my first printer and I learned so much by making it good. I think if I had bought something that was fine out of the box I wouldn't have learned half as much as I have.

I mean if someone enjoys doing it that is their business and all but I don't understand these people who buy a 3D printer, spend dozens of hours and £1000+ modding it and printing upgrades, etc. but all they ever seem to use it for is occasionally printing the sample cat and boat models to test upgrades. If that is what makes them happy as a hobby I don't have a problem with that but I wanted something that worked out the box with minimal tweaking, etc. and print parts for various hobbies and projects - usually my own but the latest being printing custom wall mounts for my brother who is creating a Wi-Fi mesh using Raspberry Pis.

Don
Mine gets used all the time for other hobbies / projects. I think I've only printed a couple of benchies on it. It was just that when originally built it was next to useless.
I now have a very good fundamental understanding of G code, stepper drivers, Marlin, heaters, etc etc. I wouldn't have got that if I'd bought a Prusa MK3S off the bat.

I guess it's the same as with computers. Some people enjoy building and tuning them to get them just so. Others just want to buy a box and have it work.

Associate
I've wanted a 3D printer for years but the price always put me off, but seeing the recommendations for the creality ender 3 and seeing the price is pushing me to actually buy one, just gotta save a few quid first haha.

Associate
I've wanted a 3D printer for years but the price always put me off, but seeing the recommendations for the creality ender 3 and seeing the price is pushing me to actually buy one, just gotta save a few quid first haha.

Feel free to check out my website when you are ready to purchase :).

Soldato
Not sure if I can ask this on here, but does anyone on here offer a bit of help orinting some 3d stuff out? I usualy use our work one but its an Ultimaker (early gen) and very slow and has now knackered itself too and I need to finish off some stuff I was doing! :(

Associate
Not sure if I can ask this on here, but does anyone on here offer a bit of help orinting some 3d stuff out? I usualy use our work one but its an Ultimaker (early gen) and very slow and has now knackered itself too and I need to finish off some stuff I was doing! :(

Drop me a trust message and I'll see if I can help.

Associate
How easy is it to design things on the software and print them?

Is there anything too difficult to print on these machines?
Something I would like to make is some car loom adapters, buying them from a breaker is extortionate and pretty hard to come by, so would defiantly try and make some myself, if it was possible.

Cheers

Associate
So I finally took the plunge into 3D printing. The purchase was a bit out of the blue, I was just browsing eBay as I usually do and noticed a couple of companys had auctions up for a brand new ender 3 pro. First one someone out bid me at the last second by £2 and it went for £124! The next one ended on £142, which I won, I also used a £10 nectar voucher so paid just £132 for a brand new ender 3 pro!

Just gotta break the news to my partner :S

I have a couple of questions if I may.

Does the ender 3 come with any filaments?

What is the best type of filament to use with this machine?

Is there much difference between a stepper motor and the direct drive upgrade?

I've seen so many upgrades for this machine, I can't wait to get started!

Last edited:
Associate
So I finally took the plunge into 3D printing. The purchase was a bit out of the blue, I was just browsing eBay as I usually do and noticed a couple of companys had auctions up for a brand new ender 3 pro. First one someone out bid me at the last second by £2 and it went for £124! The next one ended on £142, which I won, I also used a £10 nectar voucher so paid just £132 for a brand new ender 3 pro!

Just gotta break the news to my partner :S

I have a couple of questions if I may.

Does the ender 3 come with any filaments?

What is the best type of filament to use with this machine?

Is there much difference between a stepper motor and the direct drive upgrade?

I've seen so many upgrades for this machine, I can't wait to get started!
Welcome to world of tomorrow, lol.

You should check out the 3d printing thread over in the printers subforum.

So as for your questions, to my knowledge the Ender doesn't come with enough filament to do anything with, might have a few meters. I know the cr-10 comes with a small spool.

Filament, well I wouldn't buy ABS, or the high temp stuff. But PLA, PETg should be fine. Link below for some PLA ;).

So not sure what you mean by stepper motor and the direct drive upgrade. They are different things. I assume the stepper motor upgrade is for dual Z steppers, on a printer this size it isn't essential but something to look at later maybe.

The direct drive refers to the extruder, currently it's a Bowden setup, which mean the filament is pushed through a PTFE tube to the hot end. A direct drive is just that, it puts the extruder directly above the hot end, again not essential but something to look at later.

Maybe just get to know the process of printing first and see if you need any upgrades.

Feel free to post in the other thread if you need anything.

J.

Caporegime
How easy is it to design things on the software and print them?

Is there anything too difficult to print on these machines?
Something I would like to make is some car loom adapters, buying them from a breaker is extortionate and pretty hard to come by, so would defiantly try and make some myself, if it was possible.

Cheers

Anything with an overhang can be annoying unless you know what you're doing/you want it to look decent.

You can buy filament that dissolves too, so you'd use that to fill underneath things, you'd need a dual extruder though to do that.

Designing, depends on the software and how well you pick it up, you can create things with SketchUp quite easily, or use more in-depth software like 3DsMax, Maya or that free one I can't think of right now.

Associate
That brings me to a question I was about to ask actually!

What is the preferred choice of software for working with 3D printing?

I've see a ton of options out there (though Cura is bundled with the Ender 3) so I wondered if we had some personal testimonies on some of them? :)

I'm close to hitting buy.... I'd just like to fiddle with some software first.

Back
Top Bottom