Microsoft Edge Chromium

Man of Honour
In response to older posts I'm not surprised by the Win 7/8 support - MS has had to do that to a few things lately due to the sheer number of businesses still on older OSes and I suspect part of it with this browser is related to pushing O365/Sharepoint, etc. so they can increase market penetration and features without being hampered by older browser considerations.

Permabanned
I'm testing the dev build now, seems to be very rapid for sites. Hope it stays this way.

OP, You should rename the thread title to something like "Edge Chromium" as this is what it's based off. When I got to the about page I get this.

Microsoft Edge is up to date
Version 75.0.139.4 (Official build) dev (64-bit)
This browser is made possible by the Chromium open source project and other open source software.

Firefox now un-installed going to give this Edge Chromium a big bash.

Soldato
Man of Honour
OP
Hopefully they will also retire Internet explorer...
There's far too many enterprise apps which do not work with Edge, it's all IE so it will be a while yet.

Any idea if they're making this for macOS? I quite like the idea of a Chrome style browser without the privacy crap you get with Chrome itself.

I've tried Firefox multiple times and it just doesn't work for me.

Soldato
There's far too many enterprise apps which do not work with Edge, it's all IE so it will be a while yet.

Any idea if they're making this for macOS? I quite like the idea of a Chrome style browser without the privacy crap you get with Chrome itself.

I've tried Firefox multiple times and it just doesn't work for me.

It's coming soon if you scroll down this page: https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/

Will be available for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 as well.

Soldato
I use Edge on my Surface Pro - but only because on the Surface all other browsers kill the battery. On my PCs I use Brave, which is a really nice, privacy focused browser based on Chromium.

Man of Honour
OP
On my PCs I use Brave, which is a really nice, privacy focused browser based on Chromium.
Same with Safari on my iPad and iPhone - any other browser seems to kill the battery.

Going to give Brave a go now, thanks. Same look and feel as Chrome, seems to work with my home server stuff and fewer privacy concerns, so a win all round so far. Plus it may be placebo, but it feels faster.

Back
Top Bottom